MERCURY - The Killer Rocks On

MERCURY - The Killer Rocks On

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 pm

The Killer Rocks On (1972)

Don´t Be Cruel / You Can Have Her / Games People Play / Lonely Weekends / You Don´t Miss Your Water / Turn On Your Love Light / Chantilly Lace / C. C. Rider / Walk A Mile In My Shoes / Me And Bobby McGee / Shotgun Man / I´m Walkin´

By 1972 (following the commercial success of the uptempo Me And Bobby McGee) Jerry felt ready to start recording rock 'n' roll albums again, albeit this time with a very "pop" production (strings, girly backing vocals, etc, which actually works well here). Jerry's performances were almost all superb on this album, with inspired vocals & piano through-out. Highlights include Don't Be Cruel, You Can Have Her, You Don't Miss Your Water & Walk A Mile In My Shoes. Unfortunately they felt it neccesary to revive two songs from Soul My Way which sound very out of place here (far better would've been the more recently recorded Big Blon' Baby & No Traffic Out Of Abilene), hence the less than full marks. 4 out of 5

Outtakes: Think About It Darlin' / No Traffic Out Of Abilene

Think About It Darlin' was issued on the flipside of the Chantilly Lace single (as a double A-side) & then on the Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano album. The superb No Traffic Out Of Abilene was recorded as a proposed A-side that never materialised, & was instead hidden on the patchy Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano album. A real shame, and this over-looked gem remains one of my all-time favourite Jerry Lee Lewis recordings.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - The Killer Rocks On

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Very good cover, with Jerry looking very much "The Killer". How many people though realised then (or indeed now) that the photo actually dates from 1967?
PeterC

Return to Albums