MERCURY - Would You Take Another Chance On Me

MERCURY - Would You Take Another Chance On Me

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Would You Take Another Chance On Me? (1971)

Would You Take Another Chance On Me ? / Another Hand Shakin´ Goodbye / Swinging Doors / Thirteen At The Table / Big Blon' Baby / Lonesome Fiddle Man / Me And Bobby McGee / For The Good Times / Things That Matter Most To Me / The Hurtin´ Part / The Goodbye Of The Year

Jerry's voice changed considerably during the years 1969-1973, getting gradually deeper & thicker, & already he was sounding quite different by this album. There was also a gradual shift towards country-pop ballads, such as the title track & For The Good Times, both of which I personally have never been too keen on. There were some great performances though, in particular the brilliant Me And Bobby McGee, as well as the wild re-recording of Big Blon' Baby, Lonesome Fiddle Man & (resurrected from a 1966 session) Swinging Doors. 3 out of 5

Outtakes: Someday You'll Want Me To Want You / No Honky Tonks In Heaven / I Don't Know Why I Just Do / And For The First Time

No Honky Tonks In Heaven was released 15 months later as the non-album B-side to Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano, whilst the other 3 songs remained in the can until the mid '80's. All four songs are superb, & would've enhanced the original album greatly if replacing some of the weaker issued recordings.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Would You Take Another Chance On Me

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Henry

Postby PianoLidAgain » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm

"Jerry Lee Lewis (Mercury—Oct.). Country music; always great."
Esquire’s record guide for 1971’s incoming college freshmen.
(I believe the link to "Touching Home" is incorrect.)
PianoLidAgain

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 pm

PianoLidAgain wrote:"Jerry Lee Lewis (Mercury—Oct.). Country music; always great."
Esquire’s record guide for 1971’s incoming college freshmen.
(I believe the link to "Touching Home" is incorrect.)

Yes, I think you're right.

Love the Johnny Cash comment! :wink:
PeterC

Postby PianoLidAgain » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 am

The Watch out for [this means “bad”] section had me laughing a couple of times, but hurt my feelings some, too. (I've always been a little weak for Buffy Sainte-Marie and Melanie, and the Temptations remark was probably not necessary.) Also, this is the first I've ever heard of the band Move, which I now know "were among the most popular British bands not to find any success in the United States" -- despite this bland endorsement by Esquire Magazine.
PianoLidAgain

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 am

I love The Move's earlier stuff when Carl Wayne was with them, but by 1971 they had pretty much turned into The Electric Light Orchestra (without the orchestra!)...
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:59 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 5/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Really love this cover, one of his very best ever! Who's that woman? Does anyone know??
PeterC

Return to Albums