MERCURY - Touching Home

MERCURY - Touching Home

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Touching Home (1971)

When He Walks On You (Like You Have Walked On Me) / Time Changes Everything / Help Me Make It Through The Night / Mother, The Queen Of My Heart / Hearts Were Made For Beating / Foolish Kind Of Man / Touching Home / Please Don´t Talk About Me When I´m Gone
/ You Helped Me Up (When The World Let me Down) / When Baby Gets The Blues / Coming Back For More

Another very good album (shown above with the more common 2nd edition sleeve), though it pretty much follows the formula of the previous album with one great rocked-up oldie (Please Don´t Talk About Me When I´m Gone) & a mixture of slower songs both old & new. Other highlights include the superb title track (one of his best), Mother, The Queen Of My Heart, Time Changes Everything & Coming Back For More. Another fan's favourite is Help Me Make It Through The Night though I personally have never been too keen on the song. 4 out of 5

Outtakes: The Hurtin' Part / Another Hand Shakin' Goodbye

These two outtakes were released on the follow-up album Would You Take Another Chance On Me.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Touching Home

Postby lucasjenke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I think this is the best country album Jerry ever did. Touching Home is my alltime Favourite and the other songs are great too.
And what I like most is the sound of Jerry Lee´s voice on this album.

Lucas
lucasjenke

Postby PeterC » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 pm

lucasjenke wrote:I think this is the best country album Jerry ever did. Touching Home is my alltime Favourite and the other songs are great too.
And what I like most is the sound of Jerry Lee´s voice on this album.

Lucas

Oh yes, he was at his vocal peak! 8)
PeterC

Postby soldat5 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 am

link to share this touching home album?.
soldat5

Postby PeterC » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 am

PeterC

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 am

PeterC wrote:
soldat5 wrote:link to share this touching home album?.

Sure:

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Lee-Lewis-Touching-Home/dp/B000XQHTUU

Or if you want it on CD:

http://www.bear-family.de/mercury-smashes-10-cd-64-page-book.html?lang=1

A very helpful reply, but strictly speaking this album is only available in the vinyl format that Peter points to; you can. indeed, get all the songs from the album on that CD box set, but not, to paraphrase, a famous Briton who was speaking in another musical context, "necessarily in the right order"... thus the integrity of the album itself is compromised. Mind you, at least all the constituent parts of "Touching Home" are actually on that Bear Family CD collection; despite "what it says on the tin", the contents of the album "The 'Killer' Rocks On" certainly aren't! Nor, indeed, are the contents of the LP "Country Class" from 1976. In both instances you'd have to go back to the earlier Bear Family collection "The Locust Years" to recreate the album.

This is one of the major drawbacks to CD box sets that present everything JLL recorded in chronological order (or just thrown together pretty much at random). Very few of Jerry Lee Lewis's classic albums have been made available in the modern era on the 'new' media and, I suspect, a great many fans have never actually heard the albums in the format originally conceived. This is where the all too few "2fer CDs" that have been released are of such value, in presenting albums with all the material in the original running order. (Though be wary; the Charly "2-fer" of JLL's first two albums on Sun is only fit for use as a beer mat or scarecrow, as it contains the wrong versions of several songs).

Moreover, I suspect that a significant proportion of JLL fans under the age of 45 have never even heard the classic albums "The Return of Rock" and "Soul My Way" as originally published - fewer still in glorious 'monaural'!! In the case of "Soul My Way", the best you could do would be to dig out several different CDs from "The Locust Years" spanning the four years over which this album was actually recorded! This is where a turntable really comes into its own, as opposed to listening to music on a device that should really only be used when it's found in the dashboard of a car!

Jerry Lee's original albums deserve to be listened to 'start to finish' in their own right; not 'sampled'. Possibly none more so than JLL's first album, Sun 1230, which fortunately is still readily available on CD, but make sure you get the Varese Saraband edition, and not Charly's total turkey.
Andrew McRae

Postby Safc1973 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Jerry does the best version of

Help me make it through the night ever

Everything perfect on this recording :D
Safc1973

Postby PeterC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Safc1973 wrote:Jerry does the best version of

Help me make it through the night ever

Everything perfect on this recording :D

It's one of those few songs that I've never really liked by Jerry but I love by others (Georgia On My Mind is another one). My fave versions are probably these two:

PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

I definitely agree about Georgia.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:I definitely agree about Georgia.

Yes, give me Ray Charles' beautiful version any day!

PeterC

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Henry

Postby Henry » Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Henry wrote:This will be realesed on Cd by Bgo-label Monday 6th May, 2013

http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd1102-touching-home-would-you-take-another-chance-on-me

Hope to get this in my mailbox today or am i to hopefull that the delivery from England will take only 2 days??
Henry

Postby Piet » Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Henry wrote:

http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd1102-touching-home-would-you-take-another-chance-on-me

Hope to get this in my mailbox today or am i to hopefull that the delivery from England will take only 2 days??

I guess the last dear Henry, dear Henry. :P
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 pm

I've sent to (& received from) Sweden within 2 days many times, it seems to be (along with Denmark) the fastest country in Europe. Holland and France take much longer (often about a week), despite being nearer...
PeterC

Postby Henry » Wed May 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Piet wrote:
Henry wrote:

I guess the last dear Henry, dear Henry. :P

There,s a hole in the bucket dear Piet :lol:
You was right,there was nothing in the box when i came home from work.
Henry

Next

Return to Albums