MERCURY - There Must Be More To Love Than This

MERCURY - There Must Be More To Love Than This

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:37 pm

There Must Be More To Love Than This (1970)

There Must Be More To Love Than This / Bottles And Barstools / Reuben James / I´d Be Talkin´ All The Time / One More Time / Sweet Georgia Brown / Woman, Woman (Get Out Of Our Way) / I Forgot More Than You´ll Ever Know / Foolaid / Home Away From Home / Life´s Little Ups And Downs

Another strong album featuring the "looser" JLL that we heard on She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye. No rock 'n' roll this time but the unbelievably fast Sweet Georgia Brown more than makes up for this! Other highlights (as well as the title track) include Bottles And Barstools, I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know & Charlie Rich's Life's Little Ups And Downs. However a couple of weaker & less memorable songs were starting to appear on the albums now, the inevitable result of trying to release 2 or 3 albums of new material per year. 4 out of 5

Outtakes: Alvin

The only outtake from the March 1970 sessions that produced the bulk of the There Must Be More To Love Than This album, this song (supposedly written by Jerry) remained in the can until the mid '80's. Also probably recorded at these sessions was It's The Real Thing, a song for a Coca-Cola radio commercial that's available on a '70's vinyl bootleg LP.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - There Must Be More To Love Than This

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Henry

Postby PeterC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd almost forgot just how incredible Jerry's version of this song is, probably in my JLL top 20.

PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 am

I prefer Rich's original, but it doesn't still make Jerry's version any worse. Two very different arrangements, both great in their own way.
Tumppi

Postby bailbath » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Tumppi wrote:I prefer Rich's original, but it doesn't still make Jerry's version any worse. Two very different arrangements, both great in their own way.

JLL version is what I prefer just pure class
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby PeterC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:39 pm

I much prefer Jerry's too, though I do like Charlie Rich... Charlie's version of 'Sittin' And Thinkin'' is superior to Jerry's in my opinion, and there's not much to choose between 'Who Will The Next Fool Be' (both are brilliant), ditto with 'Break Up' and 'It Hurt Me So'. As for 'No Headstone On My Grave', I'm just not particularly keen on the song by anyone.
PeterC

Postby Amadeu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 am

PeterC wrote:I much prefer Jerry's too, though I do like Charlie Rich... Charlie's version of 'Sittin' And Thinkin'' is superior to Jerry's in my opinion, and there's not much to choose between 'Who Will The Next Fool Be' (both are brilliant), ditto with 'Break Up' and 'It Hurt Me So'. As for 'No Headstone On My Grave', I'm just not particularly keen on the song by anyone.

And what about No HEADSTONE from AUSTIN CITY LIMITS? Don't you think is great? I remember listened to a clip from this song on that show from JERRY LEE 'S DOCUMENTARY : I AM WHAT I AM. Sincen then ,It had to pass many years to me to get the whole song and all the show of course.

About "THERE MUST BE MORE..." my favourite songs:

Home Away From Home (Fantastic!)
Woman Woman
Reuben James
Life's Little Up And Downs
Amadeu

Postby PeterC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:25 am

Amadeu wrote:
PeterC wrote:I much prefer Jerry's too, though I do like Charlie Rich... Charlie's version of 'Sittin' And Thinkin'' is superior to Jerry's in my opinion, and there's not much to choose between 'Who Will The Next Fool Be' (both are brilliant), ditto with 'Break Up' and 'It Hurt Me So'. As for 'No Headstone On My Grave', I'm just not particularly keen on the song by anyone.

And what about No HEADSTONE from AUSTIN CITY LIMITS? Don't you think is great?

I find the slow / fast tempo a bit corny on Jerry's versions. Would be better imo if it was just a slow blues (which is the way Jerry performed it during the earliest live performance that I've heard, in London in 1972).
PeterC

Postby dee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:14 am

still love the palomino club live version of headstone/monument...just for the ending...makes me smile every time.

both versions of “life” are good but prefer charlie. he digs in a little deeper to the sadness of the lyric. the greatest live show on earth version of “who will the next fool be” is my favorite but they’re all great.
dee

Postby Safc1973 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:40 pm

love bottles and barstools from this album

you can almost taste the beer :wink:
Safc1973

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5 (and 1/1, see below!)

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

I know not everyone likes drawings as covers, but this one works better than most. Unfortunately the version I used to have on vinyl was the boring yellow cover that is also used on the CD reissue! Why oh why?
PeterC

Return to Albums