MERCURY - In Loving Memories

MERCURY - In Loving Memories

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:32 pm

In Loving Memories: The Jerry Lee Lewis Gospel Album (1970)

In Loving Memories / The Lily Of The Valley / Gather ´Round Children / My God´s Not Dead / He Looked Beyond My Fault / The Old Rugged Cross / I´ll Fly Away / I´m Longing For Home / I Know That Jesus Will Be There (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Too Much To Gain To Lose / Medley: If We Never Meet Again - I´ll Meet You In The Morning

Gospel music doesn't appeal to everyone but I love this album. Mostly produced by Jerry & Linda Gail & very well mixed (check out how loud the piano is on this album!), this album features a good mixture of fast, medium & slow songs, all performed with great feeling. Highlights include In Loving Memories, He Looked Beyond My Fault, The Old Rugged Cross, I'll Fly Away & I Know That Jesus Will Be There (featuring Linda Gail's greatest ever vocal on a Jerry Lee Lewis recording). 5 out of 5

Outtakes: Cheater Pretend (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Handwriting On The Wall (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Black Mama

Although released first, the bulk of the In Loving Memories album was actually recorded after the There Must Be More To Love Than This album (though there was some cross-over). Handwriting On The Wall was issued as the B-side of Me & Jesus in 1972, while the other two outtakes had to wait until the mid '80's for release. Cheater Pretend is a fine country duet that (if recorded a year earlier) would've fit effortlessly on the Together album, but Black Mama is one of the worse songs Jerry's ever recorded & deserved to remain unreleased! It's to his credit though that he could even make a song like this sound convincing, such was his form during the 1969-1972 era.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

'In Loving Memories' Gospel album.

Postby Meatman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 am

A great album that from what I can tell hasn't been discussed much anywhere. Does anybody know much about this album? Loaned out my copy and of course it never came back and I'm finding that a replacement copy is a bit pricey at least online.
The songs range from some originals written by Linda Gail and I think Cecil Harrison, to some traditional gospel songs. One song I can't get any information on is 'My God's Not Dead'. Anybody know anything about this song? Nothing at all online that I can find, so I don't think it's a traditional gospel standard. Anybody know who wrote it and if Jerry Lee ever played it live? Any other info about the song or this album would be great. Thanks.
Meatman

Re: 'In Loving Memories' Gospel album.

Postby PeterC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:46 am

Meatman wrote:A great album that from what I can tell hasn't been discussed much anywhere.

It's actually been discussed on this forum:

http://www.jerry-lee-lewis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2474
PeterC

Re: MERCURY - In Loving Memories

Postby bailbath » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Peter I have merged the topics. :D
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby musicmanmachine88 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:54 am

I agree with Peter (no not sucking up Peter) but this has always been one of my favorite albums with Jerry in it. Word has it on this album that Mamie Lewis can be heard in the background vocals of "In Loving Memories" along with Linda Gail. Their is a slight hint of this if you listen closely as the song fades. Excellent album.
musicmanmachine88

Postby bailbath » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 am

Yes I agree it sounds like a different harmony than usual I guess if it is true then this song would be very precious to the family.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Henry » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 am

Today i did a serch on "In loving memories" and was surpriced to see that there is a Facebook side with This name.
At work i,m not alloved to go to facebook so i can,t see what,s it all about.
Anyone willing to give it a shot??

In Loving Memory of Jerry Lee Lewis - I miss you! | Facebook.
Henry

Postby thrund » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 am

Henry wrote:Today i did a serch on "In loving memories" and was surpriced to see that there is a Facebook side with This name.
At work i,m not alloved to go to facebook so i can,t see what,s it all about.
Anyone willing to give it a shot??

In Loving Memory of Jerry Lee Lewis - I miss you! | Facebook.

It's a memory page of a guy with same name, nothing to do with the Killer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Lovin ... 04?sk=info

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby Henry » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 am

thrund wrote:It's a memory page of a guy with same name, nothing to do with the Killer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Lovin ... 04?sk=info

Thomas

Thank you Thomas.Long live the Killer :D
Henry

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:57 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 3/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Mixed feelings over this one... an uninspiring cover, but it does at least suit the contents & title.
PeterC

Return to Albums