MERCURY - Live at the International, Las Vegas

MERCURY - Live at the International, Las Vegas

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Live At The International, Las Vegas (1970)

She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye / Jambalaya / She Still Comes Around (To Love What´s Left Of Me) / Drinkin´ champagne / San Antonio Rose / Once More With Feeling / When You Wore A Tulip And I Wore A Big Red Rose (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Take These Chains From My Heart (Linda Gail Lewis) / The Ballad Of Forty Dollars / Flip, Flop And Fly

Jerry's fourth & final 'live' album to be released while he was with Smash-Mercury, this was compiled from several concerts taped in May 1970. Inevitably the compiler(s) concentrated mostly on Jerry's country material, though the actual concerts featured a far greater variety of music. The individual performances on the album (with the possible exception of Flip, Flop & Fly) are all first-class, but the album lacks excitement & atmosphere despite the fact that some fake audience noise has been added. 3 out of 5

Outtakes: Sweet Little Sixteen / Medley: Jenny Jenny - Long Tall Sally Tutti Frutti / C.C. Rider / High School Confidential / Medley: Down The Line - I'm Movin' On (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Oh Lonesome Me / Your Cheatin' Heart / Smoke Gets In Your Eyes / Invitation To Your Party / Blue Suede Shoes When The Grass Grows Over Me / Jackson (with Linda Gail Lewis) / Staggerlee / Today I Started Loving You Again (1st version) / One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) / Shoeshine Man / Great Balls Of Fire / Mean Woman Blues / You Are My Sunshine / Homecoming / Got You On My Mind Again (with Linda Gail Lewis) / What'd I Say / Mexicali Rose (slow & fast versions) / Today I Started Loving You Again (2nd version)

Taped over two nights (six shows) in May 1970, most of the above outtakes were released on a vinyl box-set by Bear Family in the mid '80's (though they've never been released on CD). The exception is an alternate version of Today I Started Loving You Again which has only been issued (unnoticed by most fans) on The Mercury Years Vol. 2 (1969-1972) compilation CD.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Live at the International, Las Vegas

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:48 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 2/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

While the actual design is fine, the photos are mostly of extremely low quality (it's as if they recorded the shows, went home, and then suddenly though "Shit, we forgot to take any photos! Maybe a fan can give us some..."). I'd give it at least 4/5 if they used better photos.
PeterC

Return to Albums