SMASH - She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye

SMASH - She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:24 pm

She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye (1969)

Once More With Feeling / Workin´ Man Blues / Waiting For A Train / Brown Eyed Handsome Man / My Only Claim To Fame / Since I Met You Baby / She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye / Wine Me Up / When The Grass Grows Over Me / You Went Out Of Your Way (To Walk On Me) / Echoes

Here it is, the very pinnacle of Jerry's country music "come back"! Since Another Place, Another Time Jerry's studio recordings had sounded very "straight" & polished, but now he was starting to loosen up again, improvising & ad-libbing more (by the mid-'70's Jerry's ad-libs would sound rather tiresome but here they sounded fresh & spontaneous). Amongst the many highlights are the hit singles Once More With Feeling & She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye; the hard-rockin' Brown Eyed Handsome Man & the near-rockin' Workin' Man Blues & Wine Me Up; the country-blues Since I Met You Baby; & the beautiful version of Waiting For A Train (a song he attempted several times at Sun). A strong candidate for Jerry's finest ever album. 5 out of 5

Outtakes: Love Of All Seasons / In Loving Memories

A superb Linda Gail Lewis composition, Love Of All Seasons is unlike anything else Jerry's recorded, though it's certainly not country or rock 'n' roll which is probably why it wasn't issued at the time. Nevertheless it would've made a far more interesting album closer than Echoes, a song which was previously released on the She Still Comes Around album. Like many Smash-Mercury outtakes, Love Of All Seasons was finally released in the mid '80's. In Loving Memories was released the following year on the album of the same name, & also recorded at these sessions were inferior early versions of both this song & Once More With Feeling. These were issued in the mid '80's.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the full blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: SMASH - She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Henry

Re: SMASH - She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 3/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Kudos for trying something a bit more original, but I've never been over-keen on the results (a shame, as the album is fantastic from beginning to end). Average.
PeterC

Return to Albums