bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Church Recordings

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

This great news.
Joe

Postby peter molecz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 pm

If the informations are right with a total time over 65 minutes, it seems, that this new issue includes around additional 10 minutes of talkin.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby bailbath » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

peter molecz wrote:If the informations are right with a total time over 65 minutes, it seems, that this new issue includes around additional 10 minutes of talkin.

Peter M.

That should be interesting maybe it's Lewis sermon.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 pm

The elucidation of "right string/wrong yo-yo" that we've all been waiting for.

bonomo
Joe

Postby thrund » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

I'll Fly Away

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Re: Bear Family-Church Recordings

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Bear Family has redeemed itself with this release, the best thing they've done in years! The presentation is well- thought out, good liner notes from Hank Davis and a full transcript of every word sung or spoken by JLL (albeit such a provision, in itself, is ironic, given that JLL has probably never sounded more intelligible than on these recordings, with every syllable very clear!). As Peter M suspected, there is a good deal of additional talking to be heard, that was not featured on the vinyl LP, and which adds further to placing the songs in context. The extra material includes extensive intros of the band members.

The sound is excellent, although on my copy there are some audible faults (not apparent on my vinyl copy) towards the end of "My God Is Real". But they are minor and don't detract too seriously.

It's great to have this 'set' on CD at long last. I've an idea that I may finally come to know these recordings rather better after all these years; the LP has only very occasionally been exhumed from the 69-72 vinyl boxset and even I have to concede once in a while that CD's are rather more convenient! It really is great stuff! Highly recommended!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby thrund » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Bear Family has redeemed itself with this release, the best thing they've done in years! The presentation is well- thought out, good liner notes from Hank Davis and a full transcript of every word sung or spoken by JLL (albeit such a provision, in itself, is ironic, given that JLL has probably never sounded more intelligible than on these recordings, with every syllable very clear!). As Peter M suspected, there is a good deal of additional talking to be heard, that was not featured on the vinyl LP, and which adds further to placing the songs in context. The extra material includes extensive intros of the band members.

The sound is excellent, although on my copy there are some audible faults (not apparent on my vinyl copy) towards the end of "My God Is Real". But they are minor and don't detract too seriously.

It's great to have this 'set' on CD at long last. I've an idea that I may finally come to know these recordings rather better after all these years; the LP has only very occasionally been exhumed from the 69-72 vinyl boxset and even I have to concede once in a while that CD's are rather more convenient! It really is great stuff! Highly recommended!

Andrew

Thanks for info Andrew.
I'm lookin forward for my copy I ordered.

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby fay coffey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 pm

this is great news
ROCKIN FAYE
fay coffey

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 am

I´ve ordered it (along with the new Ben Waters CD- Boogie for Stu) and now I´m looking forward to the Las vegas Boxset & and at least The Elektra Boxset
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes, this release is excellent, and historic. Play Live at the Star-Club next to Church Recordings and a complex, fascinating man/performer emerges.
Joe

Postby bailbath » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Received my copy and it's just brilliant! The presentation of the jewel case the liner notes and quality of sound second to none. Joe maybe this might get you writing a sequel to your star club book :wink: ?
Totally recommended.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am

As Andrew mentioned this was released before by BEAR family but this time they've written the name of the 3th song right, on the BEAR family LP box-set they used "Blessed saviour thou will guide us" instead of "Life's railway to heaven".
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Joe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:50 pm

bailbath wrote:Received my copy and it's just brilliant! The presentation of the jewel case the liner notes and quality of sound second to none. Joe maybe this might get you writing a sequel to your star club book :wink: ?
Totally recommended.
Ian

Intriguing idea, Ian.
Joe

Next

Return to Albums