ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

Re: ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby martin bates » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:04 am

yes I get that, people with a 'good ear' can pick up all sorts - although JB has done stuff - with Johnny Cash for example (Johnny 99) where you wouldn't recognise his 'trademark' style . But you said you found online that JB was on some specific tracks, I'm just curious whee that came from.

Martin

PeterC wrote:James Burton has a very distinctive (and overrated imo) style, and even without reading the back cover of the album I can tell which solos he does or doesn't play... just as I can listen to live audio tapes from the early 80s and tell you whether it's Ronnie or Elton on drums, or whether it's Duke or Randy on bass.
martin bates

Postby paperboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:09 am

PeterC wrote:I've just found it online:

James Burton only appears on 'Rockin' My Life Away', 'Number One Lovin' Man', 'I Like It Like That' and ' Who Will The Next Fool Be'; and the acoustic guitar solo on 'Every Day I Have To Cry' is by Kenny Lovelace!

Peter "(almost) The Expert" Checksfield 8)

I'm sure J.B. plays on all, or just about all, the tracks (besides electric guitar he also plays dobro on the album). The album cover only mentions the solos.
Last edited by paperboy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby paperboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am

PeterC wrote:James Burton has a very distinctive (and overrated imo) style

A very distinctive but definitely not overrated style plus......... a unique sound :D

PeterC wrote:even without reading the back cover of the album I can tell which solos he does or doesn't play...

But you didn't recognize him on 'Everyday I Have To Cry' :wink:
Last edited by paperboy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:27 am

To me James Burton is one of the most fascinating people JLL had in his band over the years. James is a legend in his own right.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:35 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:James is a legend in his own right.

Absolutely, but his playing rarely sounded quite right in Jerry's band. Compare recordings from 1983 (Hammersmith Odeon for example) to 1985... James, Bob & Buddy may have been "better" musicians but Joel, Randy, Bill & Ronnie (& Kenny of course) undoubtedly sounded far more tighter & together.
PeterC

Postby Akiller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:02 pm

PeterC wrote:What Ricky Nelson recordings does James Burton play acoustic guitar solos on?

I seem to recall reading that it's Tim May playing the solo (does it say so on the back of the vinyl LP? It's years since I've seen it!).

Defininetly its el-guitar on "Every Day", on the back sleeves is mentioned the artist´s name and the instrument (acoustic/electric guitar) but I don´t hear acoustic guitar solos on ED . On "Southern Roots" was mentioned Carl Perkins on guitar, but his playing I found very hard to hear. :?: :?:
Akiller

Postby PeterC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Akiller wrote:I don´t hear acoustic guitar solos on ED .

I do! Listen to it again (from about 1:20)... :roll:
PeterC

Postby Akiller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:31 pm

PeterC wrote:

Yes, I listened carefully with pleasure and you´re right, it is Kenny (?) playing acoustic solo and that´s country. But on the first electric guitar solo I think is James Burton, on the second el solo sounds like another guitarist. I dont have this album any more, but have on the computer´s hard disc four songs: "Rocking Little Angel", "Dont Let GO", Rita May and this great"Every Day". :D :D
Akiller

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Akiller wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Yes, I listened carefully with pleasure and you´re right, it is Kenny (?) playing acoustic solo and that´s country. But on the first electric guitar solo I think is James Burton, on the second el solo sounds like another guitarist. I dont have this album any more, but have on the computer´s hard disc four songs: "Rocking Little Angel", "Dont Let GO", Rita May and this great"Every Day". :D :D

sorry to come in ont his but the electric guitar doesn´t play solos, it´s playing licks. the solo is done by an acoustic...
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby paperboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:James is a legend in his own right.

PeterC wrote: Absolutely, but his playing rarely sounded quite right in Jerry's band.

I don't agree.

No Headstone On My Grave, Malmö, Sweden, March 27th, 1997

Sweet Little Sixteen, Malmö, Sweden, March 27th, 1997

J.B. guitarsolo at 3.33. Kenny also sounds great (his guitarsolo on this song may always be the same but I LOVE it!).

Me and the late Steen Achen were there and were asked to help out the TV crew with the songtitles. The Malmö show was a great one but, if my memory serves me well, the three Danish shows were even better. Me and my travelin' buddy Steen traveled the whole trip on the tour bus (Jerry, who also used the tour bus in most cases, had given his okay to do so). The Killer looked and sounded absolutely fantastic.

Spent quite a lotta time with J.B. and Kenny (they'd already been friends since the fifties when J.B. was playing for Bob Luman and Kenny was still with The Jets). Me and Steen also had a great time with Phoebe and Jerry.

Many memorable and hilarious moments on this tour (for instance when Jerry wanted to see the bathroom just before one of the shows but didn't manage to open the door since Steen was in it :lol: !)

PeterC wrote:Compare recordings from 1983 (Hammersmith Odeon for example) to 1985... James, Bob & Buddy may have been "better" musicians but Joel, Randy, Bill & Ronnie (& Kenny of course) undoubtedly sounded far more tighter & together.

I do agree with you on this although this All Star Band (Kenny, J.B., Bob Moore and Buddy Harman) definitely sounded great and together on the Worcester, Massachusetts show for instance (the Silver Eagle Radio Show that has been released on CD). One of my favorite live recordings (Jerry, Kenny, J.B., Bob and Buddy all sound fantastic and the mix is absolutely perfect).
Last edited by paperboy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
paperboy

Postby PeterC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am

Joel Schumaker said he hated seeing James Burton in the band because Kenny let him play nearly all the guitar solos, and he's right (Joel also described Kenny as "the greatest unknown guitarist in the world", and always thought he deserved more credit). I noticed Kenny did the same with Jimmy Rip too...
PeterC

Postby Logan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:28 am

I know I'm late to the party but I just bought this album(and When Two Worlds Collide) and I'm hearing it all the way through for the first time. I love it! My favorite track at the moment is I Like It Like That. Ironically enough it's one of the few tracks from this album that I haven't already heard.

Better late than never. 8)
Logan

Postby Rocky » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 pm

Myself, I always thought that James Burton's best guitar playing was on the Ricky Nelson sessions, 1958-1967.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Logan wrote:My favorite track at the moment is I Like It Like That.

I prefer The Dave Clark Five's version myself (I wonder where Jerry learnt it from, Chris Kenner's original or the top 10 US hit by DC5?).
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:47 pm

PeterC wrote:
Logan wrote:My favorite track at the moment is I Like It Like That.

I prefer The Dave Clark Five's version myself (I wonder where Jerry learnt it from, Chris Kenner's original or the top 10 US hit by DC5?).

I don't remember DC5 - but I'd heard the song before by the Nashville Teens on the B side of their Tobacco Road.

Martin
martin bates

PreviousNext

Return to Albums