Postby tchr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 am

tchr

Re: ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Very interesting. Thanks, Tore.
wolfgangguhl

Postby matt gilliam » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:48 pm

This album was the first i had ever heard of JLL. I loved and still do "Rockin My Life Away". I was in High School and it became my theme song and still is today.
matt gilliam

Postby PeterC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

matt gilliam wrote:This album was the first i had ever heard of JLL. I loved and still do "Rockin My Life Away". I was in High School and it became my theme song and still is today.

Although I'd heard and owned several others, this was the first new album of Jerry's that I bought as soon as it was released. Prior to this my albums were either old or reissues (I think the most recent album I owned in 1979 prior to this was 'Southern Roots', which I didn't like much at the time).
PeterC

Re:

Postby Akiller » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 pm

bluesinc. wrote:I like & I love this LP. Everyday I have to cry is one of my favourite songs but the whole LP is such a pleasure to listen. No weak spots, no fillers and his voice is in a tune I really like, a warm & rough voice. The Elektra years were his last great period, after them it wen´t downhill (recordwise) imo.

Billie Jo Spears´bravure suits to Jerry well, even though its´s country. I listened once again this album from my computer. I would say that James Burton´s
guitar playing on Every day i have to cry and Rita May ( Bob Dylan composer ?) is best of all Jerry´s guitarists. Kenny L. plays fiddle also super well.
Akiller

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Is James Burton on 'Everyday I Have To Cry'? I don't think he is.

The weakest track for me is probably 'Personality', a song that doesn't really suit him.
PeterC

Postby Akiller » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

PeterC wrote:Is James Burton on 'Everyday I Have To Cry'? I don't think he is.

The weakest track for me is probably 'Personality', a song that doesn't really suit him.

I had this album as a vinyl way back in80s , never seen as a cd. On Youtube is Jerry´s "Milkcow Blues Boogie", which I never seen or heard before. The guitarist must be James Burton, his style has stayed coherently same from the Ricky Nelson Imperial recordings.
Akiller

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 pm

What Ricky Nelson recordings does James Burton play acoustic guitar solos on?

I seem to recall reading that it's Tim May playing the solo (does it say so on the back of the vinyl LP? It's years since I've seen it!).
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 pm

there is a CD Rockin My Life Away that combines the fist 2 Elektra albums, I think.
On the original album of course James is in the credits; & Jimmy Guterman's book said the recordings were done in 4 days ,with the assumption the musicians are there for the duration. I don't know for sure if James is on 'Every Day', but I don't know why it wouldn't be James. Regardless, it's one of my favourite tracks. As always,at his best, Jerry drives the song & he sets the pace ,improvises ,but the musicians rise to the occasion & deliver as well.
I probably agree about 'Personality' & Jerry himself seems to get bored as it goes on....throwing away the yodel/hiccup type delivery I think.
Martin.

Akiller wrote:

I had this album as a vinyl way back in80s , never seen as a cd. On Youtube is Jerry´s "Milkcow Blues Boogie", which I never seen or heard before. The guitarist must be James Burton, his style has stayed coherently same from the Ricky Nelson Imperial recordings.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:32 pm

martin bates wrote:there is a CD Rockin My Life Away that combines the fist 2 Elektra albums, I think.

No, it was the full 1st album (minus a few ad-libs!) + a few tracks from both the 2nd & 3rd albums.

Can anyone here check the credits on the first album? I seem to recall James Burton only being on 3 or 4 songs.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

PeterC wrote:
martin bates wrote:there is a CD Rockin My Life Away that combines the fist 2 Elektra albums, I think.

No, it was the full 1st album (minus a few ad-libs!) + a few tracks from both the 2nd & 3rd albums.

Can anyone here check the credits on the first album? I seem to recall James Burton only being on 3 or 4 songs.

I've just found it online:

James Burton only appears on 'Rockin' My Life Away', 'Number One Lovin' Man', 'I Like It Like That' and ' Who Will The Next Fool Be'; and the acoustic guitar solo on 'Every Day I Have To Cry' is by Kenny Lovelace!

Peter "(almost) The Expert" Checksfield 8)
Last edited by PeterC on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 pm

well, you'll always be 'the expert' to me :)
I'm pleased it's our Kenny doing that great work; but just being curious - on the album it doesn't break down track credits does it ? did you find another source online ?

Martin - 'the fairly good memory but I stand to be corrected.'

PeterC wrote:
PeterC wrote:

I've just found it online:

James Burton only appears on 'Rockin' My Life Away', 'Number One Lovin' Man', 'I Like It Like That' and ' Who Will The Next Foll Be'; and the acoustic guitar solo on 'Every Day I Have To Cry' is by Kenny Lovelace!

Peter "(almost) The Expert" Checksfield 8)
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:51 pm

James Burton has a very distinctive (and overrated imo) style, and even without reading the back cover of the album I can tell which solos he does or doesn't play... just as I can listen to live audio tapes from the early 80s and tell you whether it's Ronnie or Elton on drums, or whether it's Duke or Randy on bass.
PeterC

Postby paperboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 am

He definately is. Quite prominently.
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby paperboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:03 am

Akiller wrote: On Youtube is Jerry´s "Milkcow Blues Boogie", which I never seen or heard before. The guitarist must be James Burton, his style has stayed coherently same from the Ricky Nelson Imperial recordings.

Yes, it's J.B. :)
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

PreviousNext

Return to Albums