ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby bailbath » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Great album really revitalized Jerry's career.Must always be played very loud.
Bones Howe was the producer and he was no reducer!
DON'T LET GO
RITA MAY
EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CRY
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT
NUMBER ONE LOVIN' MAN
ROCKIN' MY LIFE AWAY
WHO WILL THE NEXT FOOL BE
(YOU'VE GOT) PERSONALITY
I WISH I WAS EIGHTEEN AGAIN
ROCKIN' LITTLE ANGEL
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby thrund » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Elektra Years......Jerry's best recording years, at least for me.

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Re: ELEKTRA Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby thrund » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:55 pm

bailbath wrote:Great album really revitalized Jerry's career.Must always be played very loud.
DON'T LET GO
RITA MAY
EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CRY
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT
NUMBER ONE LOVIN' MAN
ROCKIN' MY LIFE AWAY
(YOU'VE GOT) PERSONALITY
ROCKIN' LITTLE ANGEL
Ian

All these songs are recorded at Filmway-Heyder Recording in Hollywood/CA, 04. - 07. January 1979.
Beside Jerry fellow musicians there:
James Burton, Tim May, Kenny Lovelace, David Parlato, Hal Blaine, The Ron Hicklin Singers: Ron Hicklin, Stan Farber, Gene Morford, John Bahler, Jim Haas, the strings was arranged by Bob Alcivar.

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:31 pm

bailbath wrote:...really revitalized Jerry's career.

Rubbish. His final three Mercury singles ('Middle Age Crazy', 'Come On In' & 'I'll Find It Where I Can') were bigger hits than any of the singles from this album.

The disappointing commercial success may have been a factor in there being no Bones Howe-produced follow-up (despite some more songs probably being recorded in the summer of '79), & Eddie Kilroy being brought in for the next two albums instead. The ploy worked too, as most of the Eddie Kilroy-produced Elektra singles were more successful, including two top 10 hits in late 1980 / early 1981.

PS. A great album that really revitalized Jerry's career was 'Country Class' in 1976. His 4 previous singles (from the 'Boogie Woogie Country Man' & 'Odd Man In' albums) were flops, & (more worringly) Jerry had disappeared from U.S. TV screens. But this all changed with the release of 'Country Class' in late 1976 & the big success of the 'Let's Put It Back Together Again' (it's also in my opinion his finest ever post-1969 country album).
peterchecksfield

Postby mildred » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 am

[quote="peterchecksfield"][quote="bailbath

His 4 previous singles (from the 'Boogie Woogie Country Man' & 'Odd Man In' albums) were flops

Boogie Woogie Country Man was a flop?

What's wrong with this world?!
mildred

Postby mildred » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

bailbath wrote:Great album really revitalized Jerry's career.Must always be played very loud.
DON'T LET GO
RITA MAY
EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CRY
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT
NUMBER ONE LOVIN' MAN
ROCKIN' MY LIFE AWAY
(YOU'VE GOT) PERSONALITY
ROCKIN' LITTLE ANGEL
Ian

This is a great album, and it sounds to me like Bones Howe was a great producer.

Didn't he also produce the Fifth Dimension Age of Aquarius?

That sounds great.
mildred

Postby Tumppi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Fantastic album including some of Jerry's best recordings ever, like "Rockin' My Life Away", "I Wish I Was Eighteen Again" and "Don't Let Go".
Tumppi

Postby bailbath » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:33 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
bailbath wrote:...really revitalized Jerry's career.

Rubbish. His final three Mercury singles ('Middle Age Crazy', 'Come On In' & 'I'll Find It Where I Can') were bigger hits than any of the singles from this album.

The disappointing commercial success may have been a factor in there being no Bones Howe-produced follow-up (despite some more songs probably being recorded in the summer of '79), & Eddie Kilroy being brought in for the next two albums instead. The ploy worked too, as most of the Eddie Kilroy-produced Elektra singles were more successful, including two top 10 hits in late 1980 / early 1981.

PS. A great album that really revitalized Jerry's career was 'Country Class' in 1976. His 4 previous singles (from the 'Boogie Woogie Country Man' & 'Odd Man In' albums) were flops, & (more worringly) Jerry had disappeared from U.S. TV screens. But this all changed with the release of 'Country Class' in late 1976 & the big success of the 'Let's Put It Back Together Again' (it's also in my opinion his finest ever post-1969 country album).

Thanks Peter what I meant was it revitalized his interest in his own career! Sorry should have been more specific. I think 'Rockin my life away' got to the teens in the country chart?
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 am

bailbath wrote:Thanks Peter what I meant was it revitalized his interest in his own career! Sorry should have been more specific.

You're still talking rubbish...

He hadn't lost interest in his career at the time, & indeed performed songs from his last two Mercury albums regularly for many years (Middle Age Crazy, I'll Find It Where I Can, Come On In, Country Memories, Georgia On My Mind, Tennessee Saturday Night, Before The Night Is Over...). He even sounded inspired on some of the latter day Mercury rockers (check out 'Pee Wee's Place'), despite the stodgy production.

So this may well be one of his best albums, but it certainly wasn't a career revival either commercially or artistically.

bailbath wrote: I think 'Rockin my life away' got to the teens in the country chart?

It got to number 18 (despite being backed by 'I Wish I Was 18 Again'), & the follow up 'Who Will The Next Fool Be' got to number 20. His three final Mercury singles were top 10 country hits, with 'Middle Age Crazy' getting as high as number 4 (something he'd only match again with 'Thirty-Nine & Holding' in early 1981).
Last edited by peterchecksfield on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 am

I like & I love this LP. Everyday I have to cry is one of my favourite songs but the whole LP is such a pleasure to listen. No weak spots, no fillers and his voice is in a tune I really like, a warm & rough voice. The Elektra years were his last great period, after them it wen´t downhill (recordwise) imo.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby bailbath » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 am

Oh well you seen my facebook post so I least you know I am talking rubbish! :oops:
I guess It is my opinion and you are right there are some great tracks in previous sessions but the way the whole album hangs together makes it sound to my ears like a lot more passion is put into this album.
:D
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bluesinc. » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:29 pm

bailbath wrote:Oh well you seen my facebook post so I least you know I am talking rubbish! :oops:
I guess It is my opinion and you are right there are some great tracks in previous sessions but the way the whole album hangs together makes it sound to my ears like a lot more passion is put into this album.
:D

totally agree
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 am

mildred wrote:
DON'T LET GO
RITA MAY
EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CRY
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT
NUMBER ONE LOVIN' MAN
ROCKIN' MY LIFE AWAY
(YOU'VE GOT) PERSONALITY
ROCKIN' LITTLE ANGEL
Ian

This is a great album, and it sounds to me like Bones Howe was a great producer.

Didn't he also produce the Fifth Dimension Age of Aquarius?

That sounds great.

Bones Howe worked on Elvis' '68 comeback for example. He learned among others from watching Jan Berry (of Jan&Dean) produce. You probably find more infos on wikipedia.
Rocker

Postby bernd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 pm

BTW All 3 Elektra albums (Jerry Lee Lewis, When 2 Worlds Collide, Killer Country) are now available as downloads either from Amazon or iTunes Store. But they are still not available as CD ...
bernd

Postby hussein_maloof » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Just downloaded all 3 albums on iTunes... They sound EXCELLENT!.
Support Jerry Lee on iTunes!!!

- Hussein.
- Hussein Maloof
web master of "The Jerry Lee Lewis Canteen",
Killer's first site in spanish language, since 1998, at:
http://www.husseinmaloof.com/hussein.ma ... ntina.html
hussein_maloof

Next

Return to Albums