Smash - The Country Music Hall of Fame Hits 2 - SRS 67118

Smash - The Country Music Hall of Fame Hits 2 - SRS 67118

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 am

I Can´t Stop Loving You
Fraulein
He´ll Have To Go
More And More
Why Don´t You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)
It Makes No Difference Now

Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart)
I Get The Blues When It Rains
Cold, Cold Heart
Burning Memories
Sweet Thang (with Linda Gail Lewis)

One thing I asked myself very often is why didn´t they release it as a double.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Re: Smash - The Country Music Hall of Fame Hits 2 - SRS 67

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Sings The Country Music Hall Of Fame Hits Vol. 2 (1969)

I Can´t Stop Loving You / Fraulein / He´ll Have To Go / More And More / Why Don´t You Love Me (Like You Used To Do) / It Makes No Difference Now / Pick Me Up On Your Way Down / One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) / I Get The Blues When It Rains / Cold, Cold Heart / Burning Memories / Sweet Thang (with Linda Gail Lewis)

[Sings The Country Music Hall Of Fame Hits Vol. 1 (1969)

I Wonder Where You Are Tonight / I´m So Lonesome I Could Cry / Jambalaya / Four Walls
/ Heartaches By The Number / Mom And Dad´s Waltz / Sweet Dreams / Born To Lose / Oh Lonesome Me / You´ve Still Got A Place In My Heart / I Love You Because / Jackson (with Linda Gail Lewis)]

The production was starting to sound a little formulaic & predictable by this point (did the backing vocalists really have to join in on the 2nd verse of every song?), but with Jerry's performances & the material being so strong here it doesn't distract too much. It's almost impossible to pick highlights from these two albums, but I'll try: [from Vol. 1 - I Wonder Where You Are Tonight, I´m So Lonesome I Could Cry, Mom And Dad´s Waltz, Sweet Dreams], Jackson (with Linda Gail Lewis), He´ll Have To Go, Why Don´t You Love Me (Like You Used To Do), Pick Me Up On Your Way Down, One Has My Name, Sweet Thang (with Linda Gail Lewis)... 5 out of 5

Outtakes: You Belong To Me / My Blue Heaven

Both of the Sings The Country Music Hall Of Fame Hits albums were recorded over three days in late February 1969. You Belong To Me was finally released on Country Class in 1976, while My Blue Heaven wasn't issued until the mid '80's. These are two of Jerry's finest ever recordings, so perhaps the only reason they weren't originally issued is because they didn't quite fit the 'Country Music Hall of Fame Hits' theme?

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: Smash - The Country Music Hall of Fame Hits 2 - SRS 67

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Personally I would've issued this + volume 1 as a double album, but the covers are fine... I think this one (just) has the edge over the first volume.
PeterC

Return to Albums