SIRE Young Blood

Postby flip54 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:13 pm

my parents were in their 30s during the RnR boom years so my boyhood 78s woulda bin welsh choirs, Little White Bull by Tommy Steele and I Believe by Frankie Laine as my dad was in charge of the wallet then!!

The only boogie would have been by 50s hit artist Winifred Atwell when she would rip out some neat boogie on Bumble Boogie or rampart St Rock , she was a black UK based artist of the 50s, always on tv variety shows. Liberace also played some neat tv boogie back then too.

I've always loved the Amos Milburn 46 version of Down The Road Apiece since hearing itback in the 60s on a jazz programme, the Don Raye tune being a personal favourite, the Freddie Slack, possibly Chuck Miller,Merril E Moore (56) and Chuck's two takes from 60 are all good. Chuck was at the Chess studio when the Stones cut their mid 60 s version saying summat like "Most swinging gentlemen2 and probably crossing his fingers they would do more CB penned tunes to improve his royalty cheques! US pianoman tMitch Woods did a brill live version in Nawlins a few tears back

JLL's on YB disappoints me due to the mix and all the guitars etc I mentioned before. I always used ot vote for this whenever Colin Phillips held a what should JLL record poll in Lewis Scene, be good to check those lists out to see what he has done, still waiting for Boogie Woogie Country Girl though!!

Nostalgicflip

Brother Davies wrote:For example Down The Road Apiece suffers from perhaps being from the producers Rolling Stones 60s version folder rather from one of the old 78 versions that JLL probably loved from his boyhood, the shuffle of the swinging original drummer and the piano laden solos are replaced by geetar in the rock must be loud mode.

Big Bro' Phil: please tell me about those old 78's from your boyhood!

Are we talkin' Milburn and Slack?

Little Bro'
flip54

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:08 pm

Never heard Chucks versions - although have his House Of Blue Lights by Chuck. Like it.

Bro, has Chuck cut this? Where can this be found?

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Perk wrote:
Never heard Chucks versions - although have his House Of Blue Lights by Chuck. Like it.

Perk

On the deleted Charly boxset amongst others, though I first heard it on the 'Golden Decade Volume 3' double album. It was recorded in 1958 if I remember correctly.
Last edited by peterchecksfield on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Tsk Tsk Perkster

Chucky cut this in 58 at the Carol session, I first heard it on the vol 3 CB Golden Decade 2lp in early 70s, later came out on More RNR Rarities and the Charly box of course, alos written by the great Don Raye n Freddie Slack

Flippy

Perk wrote:

Perk
flip54

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:26 pm

On the deleted Charly boxset amongst others, though I first heard it on the 'Golden Decade Volume 3' double album.

Yep, now i found it! On disc 2 on the Charly set. I must have missed it the first time when i went through the song list. Track 22 & 23 are printed so close together so i guess it became a blur. Will listen to it now as i don´t recall how it sounds.

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Tsk Tsk Perkster

I assume that means you fool :D :D :D

I heard this track with Merrill Moore the first time. Actually both "Down The Road A Piece" and "House Of Blue Lights". On an album called "Roughhouse 88". Both great!

Perk
Perk

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:29 pm

I have just listened through a bunch of different versions of these two songs. When listening to Merrill Moore´s version of "Down The Road A Piece", it makes me think that Jerry could have done his version on Youngblood far much better.

Perk
Perk

Postby Brother Davies » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Where is the House of Blue lights - what goes on in there?
Brother Davies

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Where is the House of Blue lights - what goes on in there?

????

It's on the edge of town, and there's an eight piece combo that just won't quit. They've got fryers and broilers and Detroit barbeque ribs, but the treat of the treats is when they serve you those fine eight beats.

That's the trouble with "Young Blood", terrible mix and you can't make out the lyrics!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:46 pm

I don´t agree I think those two songs is one of best on YB. I think it´s rather difficult to point out a bad song there. The sound on it is an other aspect I think. But when it comes to the songs I think they´re all good more or less.
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Tommy wrote:I don´t agree I think those two songs is one of best on YB. I think it´s rather difficult to point out a bad song there. The sound on it is an other aspect I think. But when it comes to the songs I think they´re all good more or less.

I don't think anyone here are saying that the songs are bad. Just the mix / production / arrangements.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:32 pm

So if a song is badly mixed, awful produced and arranged you still could call it a good song? Well I wouldn´t.
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Tommy wrote:So if a song is badly mixed, awful produced and arranged you still could call it a good song? Well I wouldn´t.

A good song is a good song, period. Of course, there's plenty of bad versions of good songs...
peterchecksfield

Postby Maarten K. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:24 am

Tommy wrote:So if a song is badly mixed, awful produced and arranged you still could call it a good song? Well I wouldn´t.

In my opinion LMS-Live isn't mixed very well, but it is still a great dvd.
Maarten K.

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Well it´s alot of reverb on it but I like the arrangements. What are you´re favourite on YB?
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Albums