SIRE Young Blood

SIRE Young Blood

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:09 pm

I wonder who owns the tapes? Methinks it's time for a stereo remix and special edition CD featuring those songs that didn't make the album. There were loads mentioned in FBM that didn't make the album, plus the fast version of 'Whiskey'. Throw in a few live cuts and it'd make a great slab of mid nineties Jerry Lee.

The music on Young Blood is very good indeed, listening to it now.

--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:13 pm

. . . and what was the deal with Jerry Lee slagging it off? I remember reading an interview of JLL saying "I can't believe Andy Paley done that to me" or something.

I mean, it's muddy soundwise, but certainly nothing to be annoyed about?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:20 pm

Oh, and one last thing. The spine artwork on my Young Blood CD has turned black and white.

Just though you'd like to know;-)
--
Richard Harvey

Re: Young Blood

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:I wonder who owns the tapes? Methinks it's time for a stereo remix and special edition CD featuring those songs that didn't make the album. There were loads mentioned in FBM that didn't make the album, plus the fast version of 'Whiskey'. Throw in a few live cuts and it'd make a great slab of mid nineties Jerry Lee.

The music on Young Blood is very good indeed, listening to it now.

According to Kenny Lovelace, most/all of the outtakes are unfinished. I guess that's the downside to the 'modern' way of recording layer-by-layer instead of live-in-the-studio.

I'd add 'Blue Christmas' (live in Cork '93 & released as a CD single) as one of the 'bonus'tracks.
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:. . . and what was the deal with Jerry Lee slagging it off? I remember reading an interview of JLL saying "I can't believe Andy Paley done that to me" or something.

Didn't Jerry say in a interview that 'Andy Paley reduced it, I mean produced it', when asked about his new album in the 90's?
I think it is a good album that has been produced badly. It would be nice to know who owns the rights?And who could improve it?
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:41 pm

bailbath wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:. . . and what was the deal with Jerry Lee slagging it off? I remember reading an interview of JLL saying "I can't believe Andy Paley done that to me" or something.

Didn't Jerry say in a interview that 'Andy Paley reduced it, I mean produced it', when asked about his new album in the 90's?
I think it is a good album that has been produced badly. It would be nice to know who owns the rights?And who could improve it?
IAN

Jerry put the entire album down (almost song-by-song) in a notorious interview for the Irish press during his 1995 Youngblood "promotional tour", & he also didn't play any songs from the album during that tour apart from 1 song in London (& that was only half-remembered).

And then people wondered why he couldn't get a recording contract.
peterchecksfield

Postby rockin532000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Well poor Jerry. Then he had really to suffer in 1995. When I visited his house (I guess it was in August 1995) Youngblood was played all over the house. Think of it: You have to listen to your own song which you do not even like....and this in your own house..

Best Wishes
Joerg (heading off for 3 weeks of vacation)
rockin532000

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:20 pm

rockin532000 wrote:Well poor Jerry. Then he had really to suffer in 1995. When I visited his house (I guess it was in August 1995) Youngblood was played all over the house. Think of it: You have to listen to your own song which you do not even like....and this in your own house..

Best Wishes
Joerg (heading off for 3 weeks of vacation)

I think it was more the reccordings rather than the songs that he disliked (though I think he hated 'Goosebumps'), but I'm not convinced that he likes much of 'Last Man Standing' either. I just think he's mellowed a little since then, & probably also knows that this was his final chance of hitting the big time again.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:24 pm

According to Kenny Lovelace, most/all of the outtakes are unfinished. I guess that's the downside to the 'modern' way of recording layer-by-layer instead of live-in-the-studio.

Here are the songs that were listed! Hopefully unfinished still means full songs.

Bye Bye Blackbird
Let´s Dance To Stardust
That´s My Desire
Back To Rock´n Roll
I´ll Hold You In My Heart
Fingernails
Harbor Lights
Quarter To Nine
I Can´t Stand you Yet
You Done Me wrong
I´ll Be There
Kawliga,
Beleive Me
Rock´n Roll Queen
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Perk wrote:

Here are the songs that were listed! Hopefully unfinished still means full songs.

Bye Bye Blackbird
Let´s Dance To Stardust
That´s My Desire
Back To Rock´n Roll
Fingernails
Harbor Lights
Quarter To Nine
I Can´t Stand you Yet
You Done Me wrong
I´ll Be There
Kawliga,
Beleive Me
Rock´n Roll Queen

According to Kenny unfinished = incomplete or no vocals! Many of these are probably just backing tracks.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:22 pm

I recall it´s been mentioned that a JLL fan has these unreleased and unfinished recordings. He is one of those who is not on the web. So it´s unlikely we hear his comments on them.

Perk
Perk

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Right or wrong I think that it is one of his best records! To bad he didn´t like
the result though. He plays some awsome pianolicks there!

peterchecksfield: why do you think he hates "Goosebumps"? He has in fact played it live a couple of times.
Tommy

Postby martin bates » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:03 pm

Bye Bye Blackbird
Let´s Dance To Stardust
That´s My Desire
Back To Rock´n Roll
Fingernails
Harbor Lights
Quarter To Nine
I Can´t Stand you Yet
You Done Me wrong
I´ll Be There
Kawliga,
Beleive Me
Rock´n Roll Queen[/quote]

at least we can hear Let's Dance To Stardust & Back To Rock N Roll on Kenny's own CD.
The songs on the Young Blood album are very strong; any problem lies in the recording and /or Jerry's relationship with the producers.......neither side seemingly going out of their way to promote the album.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Tommy wrote:Right or wrong I think that it is one of his best records! To bad he didn´t like
the result though. He plays some awsome pianolicks there!

peterchecksfield: why do you think he hates "Goosebumps"? He has in fact played it live a couple of times.

Tell me the "couple of times" he did this live (locations & dates)? The only version I know of is on 'Jay Leno's Tonight show', & he had to read the lyrics while he sang it (hence the glasses & his apology afterwards!).

The fact is he never did a polished version of ANY of the 'new' songs from 'Youngblood' onstage, despite still touring quite heavily at the time.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Ok with "Goosebumps" excluded I´ve heard him play "Miss the Mississippi and you" 4th oct in Danville, Virginia(according to Jerrys Spanish fansite). and I`ve bought one live version of "One of them old things" from iTunes.
Tommy

Next

Return to Albums