SMASH - Another Place, Another Time - SRS 67104

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:23 pm

This was the real deal, taking Jerry back in the charts. Country Songs for City Folks had been great and I loved that album, but Tom Jones stole the limelight from Jerry and got two pop hits out of it.

With 'Another Place' Jerry hit all the right notes with American Country fans - Kenny's fiddle, steel guitar, the works. Of course all his Country albums/singles flopped in UK where this style of music has never been popular and where there are no Country charts (Chantilly Lace made the Top Forty in UK), but in USA Jerry was back.

Over the years I've learnt to love Jerry's Country and prefer it to his rock'n'roll. I listen to it far more, though the 'Hamburg' live album will always be my favorite all-time record, and that's nearly all wild rock'n'roll.

Yes, 'Another Place Another Time' was a very apt title, marking a new era of Jerry Lee Lewis music and hits.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm

it´s the first album for me I cannot listen through the whole. But it´s getting even worse on the next few lps. The first few tracks but then again and again the same country schmalz. Though I like another place another time, what´s made milwaukee famous & aalking the floor over you.
I know this is a minority point of view, but that´s it. :wink:
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Re: SMASH - Another Place, Another Time - SRS 67104

Postby Safc1973 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:22 am

How any so called I'll fan not love the album I don't know. It's what's the killer's all about .
Safc1973

Postby Dave McKee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Another Place Another Time (1968)

What´s Made Milwaukee Famous / Play Me A Song I Can Cry To / On The Back Row / Walking The Floor Over You / All Night Long / I´m A Lonesome Fugitive / Another Place, Another Time / Break My Mind / Before The Next Teardrop Falls / All The Good Is Gone / We Live In Two Different Worlds (with Linda Gail Lewis)

Mostly quickly recorded in one day to cash-in on the surprising success of the single of the same name, this album features some of Jerry's best ever country performances with every song being a gem. Amongst the many highlights are What´s Made Milwaukee Famous, On The Back Row (just listen to that soaring vocal!), Walking The Floor Over You, I´m A Lonesome Fugitive, Before The Next Teardrop Falls, All The Good Is Gone, & the first truly great duet with Linda Gail Lewis, We Live In Two Different Worlds. 5 out of 5

(No known Outtakes)

Note: This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the full blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Postby lucasjenke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:43 am

This album includes two of my alltime Jerry Lee favourites which are Play Me A Song I Can Cry To ( which is his best recording together with You Don´t Miss Your Water ) and On The Back Row where the vocals are incredible outstanding great.
lucasjenke

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 am

lucasjenke wrote:This album includes two of my alltime Jerry Lee favourites which are Play Me A Song I Can Cry To ( which is his best recording together with You Don´t Miss Your Water ) and On The Back Row where the vocals are incredible outstanding great.

Yes, 'On The Back Row' is incredible! 8)
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 5/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

The dark scan above doesn't do it justice, but this is a really great cover! Jerry never looked (or sounded) better in this era imo.
PeterC

Return to Albums