The wild side of life
Walk right in

City lights
Ring of fire
Detroit City
Crazy arms
King of the road
Seasons of my heart

Like the "Return of Rock", "Memphis Beat" & "Soul my way" it´s one of my favourite JLL LPs from the Smash period. Except for Crazy arms & Seasons of my heart, every song on this record is a highlight for my. And though I´m not too deep into country music, especially Jerrys LPs from 68-72, this one works perfectly for me. Jerry made it big a few years after that one with country but in a different style. Please come in with your ideas & opinions; and as always please ad pictures etc.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Re: SMASH - Country Songs For City Folks - SRS 67071

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:02 pm

bluesinc. wrote:next one...

COUNTRY SONGS FOR CITY FOLKS

Green green grass of home
Wolverton mountain
Funny how time slips away
Noth to Alaska
The wild side of life
Walk right in

City lights
Ring of fire
Detroit City
Crazy arms
King of the road
Seasons of my heart

Like the "Return of Rock", "Memphis Beat" & "Soul my way" it´s one of my favourite JLL LPs from the Smash period. Except for Crazy arms & Seasons of my heart, every song on this record is a highlight for my. And though I´m not too deep into country music, especially Jerrys LPs from 68-72, this one works perfectly for me. Jerry made it big a few years after that one with country but in a different style. Please come in with your ideas & opinions; and as always please ad pictures etc.

I still think this was a great album, and the songs/arrangements inspired Tom Jones who had two pop hits with Green Green Grass of Home and Detroit City.

But true Country fans found it too 'pop' as there was no fiddle (before Kenny joined Jerry's band) or steel guitar.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tumppi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Excellent album in my opinion, I like almost every track except "North To Alaska". This was the time when Linda Gail's "singing" was quite painful to listen, and as for the song, I prefer Tapio Rautavaara's great finnish version. Highlights for me are "City Lights", "Green Green Grass Of Home" and "Detroit City", and also the new arrangement of "Crazy Arms" is nice, though I (of course) prefer the Sun version, as for "The Wild Side Of Life" too.
Tumppi

Postby Dave McKee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Country Songs For City Folks (1965)

Green Green Grass Of Home / Wolverton Mountain / Funny How Time Slips Away / North To Alaska (with Linda Gail Lewis) / The Wild Side Of Life / Walk Right In / City Lights / Ring Of Fire / Detroit City / Crazy Arms / King Of The Road / Seasons Of My Heart

Most casual observers believe that Jerry Lee Lewis only started giving greater emphasis to his country recordings after the success of Another Place, Another Time in 1968, but he actually released his first country-orientated album three years earlier albeit with a pop-rhythm 'n' blues emphasis (which basically means saxophones & organs instead of fiddles & steel guitars!). Highlights include Green Green Grass Of Home, Detroit City (Tom Jones discovered both songs via this album!), City Lights, & an up-tempo re-cut of his first single, Crazy Arms. The album is only really marred by a couple of songs such as Ring Of Fire & King Of The Road that add little to the great original versions. 4 out of 5

Outtakes: Baby (You've Got What It Takes) (with Linda Gail Lewis)

The one non-album track from these sessions was released on the flip of the Green Green Grass Of Home 45.

Note: This from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the full blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re:

Postby PeterC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 pm

One of the very few JLL studio albums that only featured cover versions, NO new songs (others were Country Music Hall of Fame 1 & 2, Last Man Standing and Mean Old Man).
PeterC

Re: Re:

Postby dee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 am

PeterC wrote:One of the very few JLL studio albums that only featured cover versions, NO new songs (others were Country Music Hall of Fame 1 & 2, Last Man Standing and Mean Old Man).

i think mean old man was a new song.
dee

Re: Re:

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 am

dee wrote:i think mean old man was a new song.

No it wasn't. Kris Kristofferson released his version in 1986, though he was performing it live at least as early as 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repossessed_%28album%29

PeterC

Postby dee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:15 am

new to me i guess...i'd never heard it before....i thought i had all his albums, which one was it on?
dee

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:12 am

Repossessed ´87
jarireinikka

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 am

dee wrote:new to me i guess...i'd never heard it before....i thought i had all his albums, which one was it on?

I already posted the link above (before the YouTube clip).

jarireinikka wrote:Repossessed ´87

Actually '86 (October) according to Wikipedia.
PeterC

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 am

quite possibly,I just took it from some internet page.Don´t have a single record by K.K. on my collection,can´t stand him singing.
jarireinikka

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:48 am

jarireinikka wrote:Don´t have a single record by K.K. on my collection,can´t stand him singing.

Me neither! A great songwriter and a pretty good actor, but his "singing" is even worse than Dylan's!
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 5/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Always really liked this cover, perfect for the album title! Doubt if many will agree with me but I'm giving it maximum points.
PeterC

Return to Albums