What I say

Great balls of fire
Good golly miss Molly
Lewis Boogie
Your cheatin´ heart
Hound dog
Long tall Sally
Whole lotta shakin´ goin´ on

it´s spinning right now on my turntable so i decided we cannot wait for this thread any longer. great, great, great. enormous power, wild & crazy though the sound is a little bit muddy. greatest r&r live album ever.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 pm

jarireinikka wrote:Greatest live album ever and also one of my top 5 records ever.10 points!!! Covers to come...

By the way,it was 1st issued also as mono, PHILIPS P 14 456 L ,probably even before stereo version.

Qute simply the best record or CD ever made in the history of recording, be it studio or 'live' recordings. Quite fantastic!
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tumppi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I borrowed this album from the library in around 1991 when my interest to Jerry Lee Lewis started to grow. And still this is the wildest rock'n roll I've ever heard.
Tumppi

Postby jayhawks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:47 am

I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby Logan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 pm

this album is just wow you cant even properly describe it all of his 60s live albums are amazing but Star Club Just blows everything before or after out of water.As i said you cant even properly describe it. :D
Logan

Postby bailbath » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:44 pm

I played it in the car the other day and my workmate was amazed at the frenetic piano playing for such a sustained time and that it callus his hands. I said 'you should have seen the piano'. It is untouchable as a live experience on cd/lp.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: PHILLIPS - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg 842945PY

Postby Dave McKee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Live At The Star-Club, Hamburg (1964)

Mean Woman Blues / High School Confidential / Money / Matchbox / What´d I Say (Parts 1 & 2) / Great Balls Of Fire / Good Golly Miss Molly / Lewis´ Boogie / Your Cheatin´ Heart / Hound Dog / Long Tall Sally / Whole Lotta Shakin´ Goin´ On

Not released in the USA until many years later, this European album (the French issue is shown above) is rightly often cited as the wildest rock 'n' roll album of all time! Ably backed by The Nashville Teens (with Ramsgate's own Barry Jenkins on drums), here is Jerry's wildest performance ever captured on tape. There's even an excellent forthcoming book (I know this because I proof-read it!) largely based around this land-mark album. I won't even attempt to pick highlights this time as everything on here is beyond amazing! 5 out of 5

Outtakes: Down The Line

Not released on the original album due to the vocals being too quite during the opening seconds, this unbelievably wild version was first issued on the rare German-only various artists Star-Club Show 6 LP.

Note: This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the full blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Postby PianoLidAgain » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Etta James Rocks the House was recorded September 27-28, 1963, in Nashville, Tennesse.
Live at the Star Club, Hamburg was recorded April 5, 1964.
Notice (listen to) how similar these are. Could Etta's recording have inspired Jerry's?
http://www.allmusic.com/album/etta-james-rocks-the-house-mw0000087834
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etta_James_Rocks_the_House
PianoLidAgain

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:24 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Although an exciting photo, I've always preferred the covers for GLSOE and By Request (more effort obviously went into those).
PeterC

Postby MarkusR » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:30 pm

I can FEEL the power of the Nashville Teens and Jerry's Rawness and somehow bitterness in this absolutely stunning picture!
As I have heard, this comes from the show of Berlin, Deutschland Halle and not from Star club.
Still wondering, if there's a live recording from that show?
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 pm

MarkusR wrote:I can FEEL the power of the Nashville Teens and Jerry's Rawness and somehow bitterness in this absolutely stunning picture!
As I have heard, this comes from the show of Berlin, Deutschland Halle and not from Star club.
Still wondering, if there's a live recording from that show?

Yes, the photo is from Berlin (all but one of Greatest Live Show on Earth photos and ALL of By Request photos also don't come from where the albums were recorded!).

I really think the main reason Jerry sounds so frustrated on the Star Club album is because of the fixed microphones for recording; this resulted in him not being able to move about much (it must be the only version of WLOSGO from this era where Jerry plays piano throughout the whole song instead of stalking the stage and then getting on top of the piano!). Must've been very frustrating taking a his usual "uppers" and then not being able to move!

I know The Nashville Teens' drummer (Barrie Jenkins). He runs a musical instruments store a few miles from me where I occasionally buy my guitar strings, and his step-daughter has posed nude for me (I'm a photographer). Small world.
PeterC

Postby jayhawks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm

...just found on Facebook:

Horst-Dieter Fischer
"To all you Jerry Lee Lewis fans out there: I just saw a tv interview with Siggi Loch who produced Jerry's Star Club LP in '64 and he revealed that the recordings for this LP were done at the Deutschlandhalle Berlin the day after the Star Club show and NOT at the Star Club Hamburg!! I actually can't believe it and have reasons to doubt it, since I asked JLL inbetween the 2 Star Club sets to play 'Money', 'Long tall Sally' & 'Hound Dog' - and so he did, & all 3 songs are on the LP! And there's Jerry addressing to the Star Club on the LP, too! And last but not least Jerry played Berlin the day BEFORE Hamburg, not the day after! I don't know the set list for the Berlin concert, though! Anybody out there who knows more about it?"

https://www.facebook.com/hdf01?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
(with video snippet/
"Here's Siggi Loch talking about the making of 'Jerry Lee Lewis - live at Star Club Hamburg', claiming that it was recorded at Deutschlandhalle Berlin and NOT at the Star Club Hamburg! Thanks to Kuno's who also owns the copyright to this!")
jayhawks

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:19 pm

He is obviously confusing the recording with the cover photo (which indeed is from Berlin)... :roll:

This comment is far more believable:

(Arthur Sharp): The album was recorded at the Star Club, with the Nashville Teens backing Jerry Lee Lewis. I was one of the singers in the Nashville Teens and saw it all happen. The cover of the album is a photo taken at the Deutschlandhalle.
PeterC

Postby jayhawks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes, i know, that the cover is from the gig at the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin;

but I guess both concerts (Berlin & Hamburg) were recorded, Berlin is missing since then...

Also Jerry is referring about the "Swinging Star Club" during the recording... :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/hdf01/videos/1 ... cation=ufi
Last edited by jayhawks on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayhawks

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't think Berlin was recorded, at least not professionally. There are none of the microphones in the photos of Berlin that are in the Hamburg pics.
PeterC

Next

Return to Albums