Mean old Man

Re: Mean old Man

Postby PeterC » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

jarireinikka wrote:Where & when???? Haven´t seen that one listed anywhere

There's a review and a photo of the picture sleeve (with a recent close up of Jerry's face) in the latest 'Now Dig this'.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Tue May 01, 2012 5:02 pm

PeterC wrote:'Money (That's What I Want)' (with Levi Kreis) and 'Here Comes That Rainbow Again (with Shelby Lynne) have been released together on a bootleg vinyl single [Fireball Records FBR-1124].

Not the best quality, but here's the picture from 'Now Dig this':

PeterC

Postby Dirk B. » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Though he's not smiling, this picture looks much better than those wedding pics. Jerry Lee, the thinker.
Dirk B.

Postby niek81 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Dirk B. wrote:Though he's not smiling, this picture looks much better than those wedding pics. Jerry Lee, the thinker.

This pic has been posted months ago by Zeke on Facebook if I remember it right, so it's no indication for how (worse) Jerry is looking right now. Wish he would still look that lean and mean as on that pic!
niek81

Postby PeterC » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

niek81 wrote:
Dirk B. wrote:Though he's not smiling, this picture looks much better than those wedding pics. Jerry Lee, the thinker.

This pic has been posted months ago by Zeke on Facebook if I remember it right, so it's no indication for how (worse) Jerry is looking right now. Wish he would still look that lean and mean as on that pic!

Also, black and white always helps (trust me, I'm a photographer!).
PeterC

Postby thrund » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 am

Bim-Bam offers some of the outtakes on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/190716117822?ssP ... 1439.l2649

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 am

thrund wrote:Bim-Bam offers some of the outtakes on Ebay:

Thomas

Presumably they're saving the other tracks for Volume 2...
PeterC

Postby thrund » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 am

PeterC wrote:
thrund wrote:Bim-Bam offers some of the outtakes on Ebay:

Thomas

Presumably they're saving the other tracks for Volume 2...

...or Vol. 2 & 3....there is enough known stuff for it (not to mention the unknown stuff).
http://jerryleelewis.org/cgi-bin/weblog ... php?p=2261

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:02 pm

For those that are wondering what the Mean Old Man EPK is...

PeterC

Postby niek81 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

PeterC wrote:For those that are wondering what the Mean Old Man EPK is...

Never noticed Judith is in that clip, at the same moment as Phoebe. Time have been changing. Hearing this song again, I still think MOM has been a missed oppertunity. Why didn't they leave out stuff like Rockin My Life Away and added more rootsy/country kind of stuff and market the whole thing as a Roots/Americana kind of album...would have been a much bigger succes that way I think and suit Jerry's age and better.
niek81

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm

They obviously tried to repeat the exact formula (and success) of LMS. I still think the biggest reason MOM was such a poorer album though is because Jimmy Rip wasn't involved. I believe he managed to coax the very best out of Jerry, while Phoebe tends to accept everything he does as great.

Was this still the 2nd best selling album of his career? Could be...
PeterC

Postby Logan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:33 am

niek81 wrote:

Never noticed Judith is in that clip, at the same moment as Phoebe. Time have been changing. Hearing this song again, I still think MOM has been a missed oppertunity. Why didn't they leave out stuff like Rockin My Life Away and added more rootsy/country kind of stuff and market the whole thing as a Roots/Americana kind of album...would have been a much bigger succes that way I think and suit Jerry's age and better.

I personally wish there is a lot more Rock & Roll
Logan

Postby niek81 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Logan wrote:
niek81 wrote:

I personally wish there is a lot more Rock & Roll

I wanna hear rock 'n roll from artists that are able to deliver rock 'n roll with all it's energy and wildness. When an artist is 75 years old orso and not able to give real rock n roll I'm more than satisfied when this artist gives us music that fits his current age and capabilities. I still think MOM falls a bit between to camps. It's not a rock n roll album, and somehow I would think it's strange when an old and sometimes frail man puts out an album. But it's also not a roots album, it starts as a great rootsy/american album with the title track but after that it's not clear anymore what kind of album it is with stuff like rockin my life away
niek81

Postby PeterC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I've always thought of him as more of a country artist anyway (around 80% of his studio recordings have been country). It's what he does best.
PeterC

Postby Dave McKee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes, it's a pity that record producers can't select something for him to record that suits his current ability. I think we'd all appreciate an album that didn't include WLS and GBOF, and certainly no more live albums. Wonder what his proposed gospel album will be like?
Dave McKee

PreviousNext

Return to Albums