Mean old Man



Postby bailbath » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:53 am

Jerry Lee Lewis wants to make one thing clear: The title of his new album, "Mean Old Man," isn't a reference to the Killer himself.

"No, it has nothing to do with me whatsoever," the 74-year-old rock'n'roll legend says. "It's named for the Kris Kristofferson song [that opens the set], which I flipped out over when I heard it. I thought it was a hit piece of material, so I cut it."

Kristofferson isn't the only celebrity guest who contributed to "Mean Old Man," due Sept. 7 on Verve/Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It also features appearances by Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Willie Nelson, plus a handful of younger stars including John Mayer and Sheryl Crow.

"It's just a collection of people who really love Jerry and wanted to be part of the album," says Lewis' daughter, Phoebe, who manages her father's career and served as the set's executive producer. "The fact that they bring their own notoriety is just a plus. They're like the ultimate sidemen and women."

"The record goes by quick, which is a good sign," says Jim Keltner, who produced the album with Steve Bing. "The chops that Jerry Lee had as a young man, he's lost a lot of that. But now there's a depth and richness to the music. When he sits down to play, you just want to listen."

"Mean Old Man" follows up 2006's "Last Man Standing," which similarly paired Lewis with an all-star cast and has sold 194,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Yet Verve/UMe president Bruce Resnikoff says the new set-the artist's first for Verve-demonstrates Lewis' "strength and power as a performer" more vividly than did its predecessor.

And, he adds, it stands a better chance of attracting a multigenerational audience. "Jerry Lee's performance [at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 25th Anniversary Concert last October] exposed him to younger fans and created an interest that had been bubbling before."

To capture those fans, Verve senior VP/GM Nate Herr says, the label began releasing one album track on iTunes every week beginning Aug. 3. The first was "Rockin' My Life Away" featuring Kid Rock and Slash.

Still, he adds, "the sweet spot for this record is an older demographic," one Verve intends to reach through a release-week media blitz that includes appearances on "The View," "Today," "Imus in the Morning," NPR's "Weekend Edition" and Fox News' "Huckabee." Lewis is also scheduled to perform with the cast of Broadway's "Million Dollar Quartet" Sept. 10 and at B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York Sept. 13.

In addition to the 10-track standard edition, "Mean Old Man" will arrive in an 18-track deluxe package that includes collaborations with Shelby Lynne and Gillian Welch. "My daddy likes singing with girls," Phoebe Lewis says.

"We're approaching this record as a project to which we're committed for the next year," Resnikoff says. "It's such a thrill to work with Jerry Lee Lewis, and we're hoping this serves as a steppingstone to more opportunities with him."
Image
bailbath

User avatar
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Bath, uk

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

bailbath wrote:Jerry Lee Lewis wants to make one thing clear: The title of his new album, "Mean Old Man," isn't a reference to the Killer himself.

"No, it has nothing to do with me whatsoever," the 74-year-old rock'n'roll legend says. "It's named for the Kris Kristofferson song [that opens the set], which I flipped out over when I heard it. I thought it was a hit piece of material, so I cut it."

Kristofferson isn't the only celebrity guest who contributed to "Mean Old Man," due Sept. 7 on Verve/Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). It also features appearances by Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Willie Nelson, plus a handful of younger stars including John Mayer and Sheryl Crow.

"It's just a collection of people who really love Jerry and wanted to be part of the album," says Lewis' daughter, Phoebe, who manages her father's career and served as the set's executive producer. "The fact that they bring their own notoriety is just a plus. They're like the ultimate sidemen and women."

"The record goes by quick, which is a good sign," says Jim Keltner, who produced the album with Steve Bing. "The chops that Jerry Lee had as a young man, he's lost a lot of that. But now there's a depth and richness to the music. When he sits down to play, you just want to listen."

"Mean Old Man" follows up 2006's "Last Man Standing," which similarly paired Lewis with an all-star cast and has sold 194,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Yet Verve/UMe president Bruce Resnikoff says the new set-the artist's first for Verve-demonstrates Lewis' "strength and power as a performer" more vividly than did its predecessor.

And, he adds, it stands a better chance of attracting a multigenerational audience. "Jerry Lee's performance [at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 25th Anniversary Concert last October] exposed him to younger fans and created an interest that had been bubbling before."

To capture those fans, Verve senior VP/GM Nate Herr says, the label began releasing one album track on iTunes every week beginning Aug. 3. The first was "Rockin' My Life Away" featuring Kid Rock and Slash.

Still, he adds, "the sweet spot for this record is an older demographic," one Verve intends to reach through a release-week media blitz that includes appearances on "The View," "Today," "Imus in the Morning," NPR's "Weekend Edition" and Fox News' "Huckabee." Lewis is also scheduled to perform with the cast of Broadway's "Million Dollar Quartet" Sept. 10 and at B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York Sept. 13.

In addition to the 10-track standard edition, "Mean Old Man" will arrive in an 18-track deluxe package that includes collaborations with Shelby Lynne and Gillian Welch. "My daddy likes singing with girls," Phoebe Lewis says.

"We're approaching this record as a project to which we're committed for the next year," Resnikoff says. "It's such a thrill to work with Jerry Lee Lewis, and we're hoping this serves as a steppingstone to more opportunities with him."
Image


thanks :D
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Wien

Postby Stefan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:23 pm

From Kay at the Yahoo-forum:

Jerry will be arriving on the sixth of Sept. 9/7 is the Best Buy. On the 8th is The View; Sept. 9th is The Today Show and the 10th is Imus in the morning and M$Q later. On the 11th is Huckabee, and B.B. King's on the 13th. So be there or be square (says J.W.!)!
More details when I have them


I wonder what songs Jerry gonna sing to promote the album ?
My guess is Roll Over Beethoven, Rockin My Life Away and maybe maybe Mean Old Man.
Stefan

 
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:17 am

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:08 pm

It will be nice if has some guests with him (apart from Kid Rock that is!). I thought that LMS TV appearance with Neil Young was very good.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Interesting, so the Huckabee show is back on the schedule.
wolfgangguhl

 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Postby niek81 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:It will be nice if has some guests with him (apart from Kid Rock that is!). I thought that LMS TV appearance with Neil Young was very good.


I thought Jerry almost fell asleep during that song...I think none of the TV shows showed Jerry as The Last Man Standing, the way he was promoted on the CD cover, except Jay Leno's with Jerry playing and singing lively. Connon o Brien was the worst one I think.
niek81

 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Eindhoven

Postby Tumppi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:04 pm

niek81 wrote:Connon o Brien was the worst one I think.


I think Jerry Lee was very good on 'Conan', apart from the way he was dressed in some loose t-shirt.
Tumppi

 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Äetsä, Finland

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:07 pm

My favourite LMS promotional performance is definitely that inspired version of 'Bright Lights Big City' at Farm Aid 2006, probably my favourite JLL footage since 1995! 8)
peterchecksfield

 

Postby niek81 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:My favourite LMS promotional performance is definitely that inspired version of 'Bright Lights Big City' at Farm Aid 2006, probably my favourite JLL footage since 1995! 8)


Yes I agree!!!
niek81

 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Eindhoven

Postby Chris Davies » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 pm

niek81 wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:My favourite LMS promotional performance is definitely that inspired version of 'Bright Lights Big City' at Farm Aid 2006, probably my favourite JLL footage since 1995! 8)


Yes I agree!!!



A magic moment
Chris Davies

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Postby jcharris1976 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:24 am

Rolling Stones has a review of the Single Mean Old Man up :

4 out of 5 stars for the single "Mean Old Man"

Patrick Doyle

08-17-2010

Kris Kristofferson sang the original version of this country stomper, but its hard-edged crankiness is pure Jerry Lee. "If I look like a voodoo doll . . . who'd rather bite you back than crawl, that's what I am," Lewis snarls on the single, the first from his upcoming album, Mean Old Man. Amid an intense beat and slide guitar from the Stones' Ronnie Wood, the 74-year-old's voice is in prime form – pitch-perfect and tough as nails. Never has "Get off my lawn!" sounded this great.
jcharris1976

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 am

Postby Chris Davies » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:49 pm

jcharris1976 wrote:Rolling Stones has a review of the Single Mean Old Man up :

4 out of 5 stars for the single "Mean Old Man"

Patrick Doyle

08-17-2010

Kris Kristofferson sang the original version of this country stomper, but its hard-edged crankiness is pure Jerry Lee. "If I look like a voodoo doll . . . who'd rather bite you back than crawl, that's what I am," Lewis snarls on the single, the first from his upcoming album, Mean Old Man. Amid an intense beat and slide guitar from the Stones' Ronnie Wood, the 74-year-old's voice is in prime form – pitch-perfect and tough as nails. Never has "Get off my lawn!" sounded this great.


Well it looks as if this track is going to be one of the best on the CD.

I listened to LMS again today and so far the new tracks lack the freshness and punch of LMS. Jimmy Ripp performed a miricle really!

I am not someone that says something is great when it aint and so far the new tracks are even inferior too the Hank Cochran session!

Oh well, still quite a few tracks to hear on the deluxe version, perhaps these will be better?
Chris Davies

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Postby jcharris1976 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I;m really kind of shocked that no reviews for the full album have been released by billboard or Rolling stone
jcharris1976

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 am

Postby Dirk B. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:42 am

jcharris1976 wrote:I;m really kind of shocked that no reviews for the full album have been released by billboard or Rolling stone
I'm glad there are no reviews, 'cause the reviews won't be positive...
Dirk B.

 
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Nieheim, Germany

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 am

Dirk B. wrote:
jcharris1976 wrote:I;m really kind of shocked that no reviews for the full album have been released by billboard or Rolling stone
I'm glad there are no reviews, 'cause the reviews won't be positive...


Actually I suspect many of them will be positive, as the media seems to love these "superstar" duets.
peterchecksfield

 

Next

Return to Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests