Don´t let go
Herman the Hermit

Baby, hold me close
You went back on your word
Corrine, Corrina
Sexy ways
Johnny B Goode
Got you on my mind

my thoughts: i like this album though it´s not THAT impessive. after the golden hits it´s an album with new (mostly) material wich sounds a little bit rougher than the golden hits sings and i like that. except for Maybelline the song selection is quite good; especially Roll over Beethoven (best version imo). the power is here and i think that smash wanted to keep Jerry in the rock section, it didn´t work and that´s good because we have this variety of styles on the following lps up until another place another time.

please could somebody add the covers for this lp, i´m not able to do that.
Last edited by bluesinc. on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 am

Perhaps you'd like to spell "Smash" properly in the title thread... :wink:

There's also no thread on 'Live at The Star Club, Hamburg'. :x
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:51 am

The Return Of Rock (1965)

I Believe In You / Maybellene / Flip, Flop And Fly / Roll Over Beethoven / Don´t Let Go / Herman The Hermit / Baby, Hold Me Close / You Went Back On Your Word / Corrine, Corrina / Sexy Ways / Johnny B. Goode / Got You On My Mind

Anyone who thinks that great rock 'n' roll records stopped being made during the Beatles era should give this a listen! As well as possibly the ultimate versions of rock 'n' roll / rhythm 'n' blues standards such as Roll Over Beethoven, Sexy Ways (previously recorded at Sun as both Cool Cool Ways & Carrying On), Corrine, Corrina (re-recorded during his final Mercury sessions in 1977) & Got You On My Mind, there's several new songs of which I Believe In You (with Jerry's best ever piano solo?) & Baby, Hold Me Close are the best. Without a doubt Jerry's finest studio rock 'n' roll album (great "mix" too!). 5 out of 5

Outtakes: Mathilda / The Wild Side Of Life / Just In Time / Skid Row

Of these outtakes one song was issued a few months later on Country Songs For City Folks & another a year later on the Memphis Beat album. Just In Time & Skid Row were first issued on an early 80's bootleg EP, & then officially via Bear Family a few years later. Skid Row in particular is as good or better than virtually anything on the Country Songs For City Folks LP, a truly remarkable performance & song!
peterchecksfield

Postby rockin532000 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I fully agree with all your positive comments. It is one of his best albums. Flip, flop and fly is the only song I could do without but still like it though.

The cover, however, I think is debatable. (with the curtain and the 4 dancers :roll: )

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm

rockin532000 wrote:Flip, flop and fly is the only song I could do without but still like it though.

The guitar riff is a bit annoying but I love the way Jerry inserts some extra chord changes, very creative! 8)

rockin532000 wrote:The cover, however, I think is debatable. (with the curtain and the 4 dancers :roll: )

I agree; they should've used 5 or 6 dancers...

Image :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby Tumppi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

jarireinikka wrote:Dutch -73 issue.also released in Australia-74

This is the version I have, bought it in mid-1990's. Definetily Jerry Lee's finest studio album ever, best versions I've ever heard of "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Sexy Ways" and all other tracks are great too.
Tumppi

Postby Amadeu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm

This is the TOP on Jerry Lee Rock and Roll Albums!

Maybe two average songs (Johnny.B.Goode and You Went Back On Your Word ) the rest: Impossible to improve it!!!!

My preferred:

Maybelline
Roll Over Beethoven
I Believe in You
Corinne Corinna
Baby, Hold Me Close
Amadeu

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:There's also no thread on 'Live at The Star Club, Hamburg'. :x

Yeah! I could write a book about that album.
Joe

Re: Smash - The Return of Rock SRS 67063

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 am

bluesinc. wrote:I think it´s time for the next studio LP:

THE RETURN OF ROCK

I belive in you
Maybelline
Flip flop & fly
Roll over Beethoven
Don´t let go
Herman the Hermit

Baby, hold me close
You went back on your word
Corrine, Corrina
Sexy ways
Johnny B Goode
Got you on my mind

my thoughts: i like this album though it´s not THAT impessive. after the golden hits it´s an album with new (mostly) material wich sounds a little bit rougher than the golden hits sings and i like that. except for Maybelline the song selection is quite good; especially Roll over Beethoven (best version imo). the power is here and i think that smash wanted to keep Jerry in the rock section, it didn´t work and that´s good because we have this variety of styles on the following lps up until another place another time.

please could somebody add the covers for this lp, i´m not able to do that.

This was the Jerry Lee Lewis album I cut my rock'n'roll teeth on, the first studio album he recorded since I became a fan. I still think it's great, despite the girlie choruses on some tracks. 'Roll Over Beethoven' is the definitive version for me, and the other Chuck Berry songs are also done great. I hated 'Don't Let Go' though - as for 'You Went Back On Your Word' I've forgotten it completely. Have to play it again sometime, it's a bit late (early) in the morning now nearly 2am. 'Got You On My Mind' is a great bluesy track, 'Herman The Hermit' just fantastic - a new rock'n'roll song to me then (did anyone else record it?) Only trouble was I kept thinking of Peter Noone, lead singer of the then current British Mod group Herman and the Hermits.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jayhawks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:54 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Image

VERY fine album!

i like it esp. for the young, dancing Alex Chilton at JLL´s side! 8)
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:18 pm

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby peter molecz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Image

UK issue, late '60s. (Philips 7920 007) :wink:

Never seen this cover before. Congratulations to this rarity, Andrew !!
Peter
peter molecz

Re: Smash - The Return of Rock SRS 67063

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 pm

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

A bit garish, and the location looks a bit strange (looks like someone's lounge rather than a club!) but still a very good cover.
PeterC

Return to Albums