SUN - Jerry Lee Lewis SLP 1230

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I wish I'd got to know Jerry's first album properly, but unfortunately I first heard all the songs on various compilations (I was more fortunate with pretty much all the Smash-Mercury stuff, hearing them for the first time in their proper context!).

I know that some people prefer all songs without overdubbed choruses these days, but I much prefer 'When The Saints' & 'It All Depends' as they were originally issued (not so sure about 'Matchbox', though it still somehow sounds empty without the backing vocals), & of course 'High School Confidential' should be heard with the spliced ending!

Presumably the "album" version of 'It'll Be Me' (as opposed to the 1957 B-side) was selected on purpose, & wasn't the first (of many) albums to accidentally include the wrong take!

A fabulous debut, & a real crime that this was his only true new album whilst still with the label (the 2nd album was partly a greatest hits / singles collection!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Great stuff, Andrew. I agree with you that had Sun been a bit more daring or imaginative and titled the album Sin and Redemption, its influence would have been different, and probably greater. I have a similar complaint about Country Songs For City Folks; he missed a great opportunity there for a conceptual album (city vs rural, hick vs sophisticate, home vs diaspora, etc) that could've gone in thematically interesting places.
Joe

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Joe wrote:Great stuff, Andrew. I agree with you that had Sun been a bit more daring or imaginative and titled the album Sin and Redemption, its influence would have been different, and probably greater. I have a similar complaint about Country Songs For City Folks; he missed a great opportunity there for a conceptual album (city vs rural, hick vs sophisticate, home vs diaspora, etc) that could've gone in thematically interesting places.

Agreed, another missed opportunity. This LP was once rather airily denigrated in the liner notes accompanying a re-issue CD as being more deserving of the title "Jerry Lee Lewis Sings The Hot Country Hits of 1963"... :shock: :oops:
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Andrew McRae wrote: This LP was once rather airily denigrated in the liner notes accompanying a re-issue CD as being more deserving of the title "Jerry Lee Lewis Sings The Hot Country Hits of 1963"... :shock: :oops:

I wonder who wrote that? :P
peterchecksfield

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:43 pm

gone
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
jarireinikka

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm

jarireinikka wrote:French 1st version from -65,several pressings up to -68

I have a copy of "Album No 1" with the printed date 10-69, which is confusing given that as you suggest, the first pressing of the same LP in its later guise as "Rock No 4" is dated 4-68, some eighteen months earlier...
Andrew McRae

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

I know it's not this album, but can someone post details here of the (real) first JLL album for those that are unaware? 8)

Fantastic sleeves Jari! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I know it's not this album, but can someone post details here of the (real) first JLL album for those that are unaware? 8)

Fantastic sleeves Jari! :shock:

My scanner is acting up, so I'll rely upon Jari - but it should, of course, be a separate thread...
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:My scanner is acting up, so I'll rely upon Jari - but it should, of course, be a separate thread...

Fine. I guess now that the album reviews have a seperate section there's no reason why compilations & archive releases (etc) can't be included if people want to review them, though personally I'd rather concentrate on "proper" albums myself.
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 pm

jarireinikka wrote:
2nd French version -68 up to -72,several pressings

Are those dancers the coolest cats in France?

Maybe.

Then again, maybe not.

Check out the LP sleeve in view beyond the cute lil' mademoiselle in the chemise blanche...

Andrew McRae

Postby jarireinikka » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

gone
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:33 pm

jarireinikka wrote:one more here,Belgian 2-lp from -76 containing both Sun albums 1230 & 1265

This should be the cover for 'Mean Old Man'!!! :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby rockin532000 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Couldn't agree more!!!!

Topless would be even better :lol:
rockin532000

Postby peter molecz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Dave McKee wrote:Jerry had 4 Sun albums released on London American in the UK

...then let's not forget other London label LPs issued in the '60s unique to Mexico, France, Germany, and Holland...

...plus who could forget the very first Jerry Lee Lewis LP issue, dating from early 1958, preceding even the subject of this thread! (I know, I'm 'boer-ing'!) :wink:

....and not to forget the Israel issue with the darkred London label in
addition to the wellknown Pax label release.
Peter
peter molecz

PreviousNext

Return to Albums