Ubangi Stomp.
Crazy Arms.

Jambalaya.
Fools Like Me.
High School Confidential.
When The Saints Go Marching In.
Matchbox.
It'll Be Me.

The ultimate Sun-lp in my books,ok C.Perkins´ 1st is also excellent,but this one´s still tops that.
You just can´t believe how good it sounds from original Sun lp ,until you´ve heard it! Excellent song choices and in order Sam Phillips meant them to be heard.I´m actually glad that there isn´t GBoF or Shakin´on this album,they just would have made this a bit "unbalanced" somehow.Don´t be cruel is perfect opener for this one !
There does excist at least 3 different label variant of original Sun lp and it was printed at least in 9 different countries with many more different pressings (USA;Canada,UK;Australia,New Zealand,France;Germany,South Africa,Israel),some with different titles.

Thanks, I copied yours to start a new thread
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Perk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:23 pm

I have never heard the sound of that original LP. But i bet it sounds good as Jari says.
Perk

Re: LP Discussion JERRY LEE LEWIS (SUN) 1958

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:41 pm

jarireinikka wrote:I´m actually glad that there isn´t GBoF or Shakin´on this album,they just would have made this a bit "unbalanced" somehow.

I only ever owned the 80s reissue on vinyl... with WLSGO added! :?
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:11 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
jarireinikka wrote:I´m actually glad that there isn´t GBoF or Shakin´on this album,they just would have made this a bit "unbalanced" somehow.

I find it incredible that in the 7 years he was with Sun they only released two albums. This was probably the best of the two, but considering all the gems Shelby Singleton found in the Sun vaults and released long after Jerry had left the label, it's really quite incredible.

Sam seemed to concentrate on singles and EPs rather than albums. But Jerry's career had started to revive in the UK with High School Confidential (Top Twenty UK hit in 1959), Lovin' Up A Storm (Top Thirty UK hit also in 1959), What'd I Say (Top Ten UK hit in 1961), Sweet Little Sixteen (Top 40 UK hit in 1962) and Good Golly Miss Molly (Top 40 UK hit in 1963), yet all that great stuff remained unreleased in the vaults.

I do like this album, but there was enough good stuff being recorded to release many more albums while he was with Sun.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby martin bates » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

I find it incredible that in the 7 years he was with Sun they only released two albums. This was probably the best of the two, but considering all the gems Shelby Singleton found in the Sun vaults and released long after Jerry had left the label, it's really quite incredible.

Sam seemed to concentrate on singles and EPs rather than albums. But Jerry's career had started to revive in the UK with High School Confidential (Top Twenty UK hit in 1959), Lovin' Up A Storm (Top Thirty UK hit also in 1959), What'd I Say (Top Ten UK hit in 1961), Sweet Little Sixteen (Top 40 UK hit in 1962) and Good Golly Miss Molly (Top 40 UK hit in 1963), yet all that great stuff remained unreleased in the vaults.

I do like this album, but there was enough good stuff being recorded to release many more albums while he was with Sun.

In the UK Jerry Lee Lewis No.2 was also a hit - No.14 in May 1962 - even more reason to have released more albums you would have thought.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby hussein_maloof » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:30 am

There are rummors of a third LP of SUN that never was edited. ¿Somebody knows on this subject?

- Hussien.
hussein_maloof

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am

Andrew McRae wrote:
jarireinikka wrote:
I only ever owned the 80s reissue on vinyl... with WLSGO added!

Yes,that was Rhino Records re-issue from -89,I can`t see why they put WLoSGo as they obviously tried to make it look as authentic as possible and they left the 2nd Sun lp as it was originally.

Hey Jari, when's the last time you played the Rhino issue of "Greatest"? :wink:

It's got the wrong takes of "Break-Up" and "Hello Josephine", a greatly extended "Money" that collapses in a heap (2:46 against 2:22 of Sam Phillip's 'fade out' edit), and the running order is all wrong (on pressing the 1989 release they followed the order shown on the original front cover, rather than the correct running order as per the original LP) It's a mess! By comparison the inclusion of "WLSGO" on the first album is - almost - forgiveable! :shock:

Given that Charly Records have twice re-released it and made a complete hash of it with similar errors on both occasions (most recently on CD a couple of years ago) "Greatest" has had an unfortunate history. It hasn't really been available in its pure form for forty years or so... :(

I was going to (more or less) say the same thing, but I thought I'd wait until the next album review / discussion... :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 am

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

bluesinc. wrote:
jarireinikka wrote:First one to start with:

Don't Be Cruel.
Goodnight Irene.
Put Me Down.
It All Depends.
Ubangi Stomp.
Crazy Arms.

Jambalaya.
Fools Like Me.
High School Confidential.
When The Saints Go Marching In.
Matchbox.
It'll Be Me.

The ultimate Sun-lp in my books,ok C.Perkins´ 1st is also excellent,but this one´s still tops that.
You just can´t believe how good it sounds from original Sun lp ,until you´ve heard it! Excellent song choices and in order Sam Phillips meant them to be heard.I´m actually glad that there isn´t GBoF or Shakin´on this album,they just would have made this a bit "unbalanced" somehow.Don´t be cruel is perfect opener for this one !
There does excist at least 3 different label variant of original Sun lp and it was printed at least in 9 different countries with many more different pressings (USA;Canada,UK;Australia,New Zealand,France;Germany,South Africa,Israel),some with different titles.

Thanks, I copied yours to start a new thread
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby Dave McKee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 am

Jerry had 4 Sun albums released on London American in the UK
Dave McKee

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 am

Dave McKee wrote:Jerry had 4 Sun albums released on London American in the UK

Yes, but two of these were merely compilations of previously released tracks, & were also released after he left the label.
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

bb
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby bluesinc. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 am

Andrew McRae wrote:In discussion of JLL's 'first' Sun LP, let's not overlook the fact that it proved to be the only one of his albums to be issued in 45rpm format, in addition to the familiar 33rpm version. In fact it was the only SUN label LP to be so treated, as Johnny Cash's numerous EPs and LPs were nominally distinct items. The 45rpm 'three-way' split album was popular in the early 50s when not everyone was equipped with an LP turntable, but the practice seems to have died out altogether at around about the time Jerry's album was released; it may have been one of the last of its kind.

Most people are probably familiar with the (same design, different colour) front covers of the series of three EPs, but maybe not so with the rears, complete with distinct liner notes.

interesting. never knew that
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 am

bb
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Next

Return to Albums