Album discussion threads?

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 am

bluesinc. wrote:you´re right. but don´t blame me about this. i don´t own the first two lps, they are on my list (5 sun, 8 mercury left) but don´t be afraid, i will contribute (at least i started this :wink: )

But I'm sure you (& most people here) know the music...
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:42 am

I have little to comment on the two Sun albums really, apart from what I and others have already said - Sam was more interested in releasing singles and EPs than albums, and left much of the most interesting and potential hit-making material in the vaults for Shelby Singleton to finally release, long after most of them were hit material, apart from a few Country tracks like Invitation To Your Party, One Minute Past Eternity, I Can't Seem To Say Goodbye.

The two albums released by Sun while Jerry was with the label are OK, the first one being the best, but hardly dipped into the vast amount of excellent recordings in the Sun vaults.

On Smash-Mercury, Golden Hits of Jerry Lee Lewis didn't do much for me as they added nothing to the original Sun cuts in my opinion, and had those awful girl choruses on them.

Of the early Smash releases, I loved 'Return of Rock' despite the girlie choruses on some tracks. Roll Over Beethoven was in my opinion his best version of this song, surpassing the Chuck Berry original.

Country Songs For City Folks was great, but of course lacked Kenny Lovelace's fiddle since he hadn't joined Jerry's band then, and also lacked a steel guitar. So many pure Country fans wouldn't regard it as true 'Country' possibly. It made the biggest impact on the pop charrts here and in America via Tom Jones' 'Green Green Grass' and 'Detroit City'.

Memphis Beat just didn't sound right to me. No outstanding numbers on it in my opinion.

Soul My Way I wasn't too keen on - liked some tracks, but missed the piano on many tracks.

The Country albums from Another Place, Another Time should be discussed separately I think. I loved most of these.

Of course the 'live' albums were very good, especially The Greatest Live Show On Earth (Alabama) one, though the vocal was a bit weak compared to the German/European release 'Live' At The Star-Club Hamburg, not a Smash release but European Philips. This is undoubtedly the best rock'n'roll album ever made by anybody.

The follow-up to the Alabama album, 'By Request - More of the Greatest Live Show On Earth' (Fort Worth, Tx) was disappointing, not least because it was cut to ribbons. 'What'd I Say Part II' was great, but would have been much better with Part I included, and the other songs cut out of the orginal release.

After this Smash pre-Country come-back period there was also a great French Fan Club album, 'I'm On Fire' released in 1969, but all the tracks were pre-1968. This included an alternative verson of the title track, and also great tracks like Pen and Paper, She Was My Baby, This Must Be The Place, What A Heck Of A Mess (one of his best ever Country songs), Rockin' Pneumonia, The Hole He Said He'd Dig For Me (another great bluesy/Country song) and several other tracks, including one of the versions of Memphis, Beat, a song I never did take to.

If I were to list Smash/European albums during this pre-Country chart come-back period in order of preference it would go something like this:

1 Live At The Star-Club Hamburg (European Philips)
2 Greatest Live Show on Earth (Birmingham, Alabama)
3 Return of Rock
4 Country Songs For City Folks
5. I'm On Fire (French Fan Club/Mercury)
6 By Request, More of the Greatest Live Show On Earth (Fort Worth)
7 Golden Hits of Jerry Lee Lewis
8 Memphis Beat

The first four in my list are all outstanding in my opinion., as were most of the Smash-Mercury Country albums which followed in the next 5 years.

And it is incredible to think, with the two European albums (and not including compilations like 'The Best Of Jerry Lee Lewis' (1970), in the 10 years since joining Smash-Mercury in late 1963 to the end of 1972 no less than 22 albums were released - that's an average of more than two a year.

Compare that to the last 10 years - one album released in the period 2000-2010, with another due out soon with many old songs re-recorded by Jerry.

This says a lot about the recording industry nowadays, but also a lot about Jerry's management and lack of a permanent recording contract with a major label.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby bailbath » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:52 pm

I've been through all the threads on the main forum and moved over any threads that I feel should be here. Please feel free to bring to my or Chris attention any thing I have missed that needs moving.
Ian :D
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:46 pm

bailbath wrote:I've been through all the threads on the main forum and moved over any threads that I feel should be here. Please feel free to bring to my or Chris attention any thing I have missed that needs moving.

thank you
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:59 pm

bailbath wrote:I've been through all the threads on the main forum and moved over any threads that I feel should be here. Please feel free to bring to my or Chris attention any thing I have missed that needs moving.

Thanks...though mediocre as they are, I think the MCA albums deserve their own individual threads rather than just being lumped together.
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:06 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

Thanks...though mediocre as they are, I think the MCA albums deserve their own individual threads rather than just being lumped together.

Totally agree. That MCA thread is a general thread and I was not sure about if it belonged here but put it across anyway to see how people reacted to it.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:29 pm

I love the way these album threads seperate the real fans (those who buy everything) from the more casual fans (those that mainly rely on free downloads & YouTube). Some very regular posters from other sections are conspicuous by their absence here... :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I love the way these album threads seperate the real fans (those who buy everything) from the more casual fans (those that mainly rely on free downloads & YouTube). Some very regular posters from other sections are conspicuous by their absence here... :wink:

There are exceptions.

Thomas
thrund

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:43 pm

thrund wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:I love the way these album threads seperate the real fans (those who buy everything) from the more casual fans (those that mainly rely on free downloads & YouTube). Some very regular posters from other sections are conspicuous by their absence here... :wink:

There are exceptions.

Thomas

I certainly wasn't referring to you as a "casual" fan Thomas.
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:51 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
thrund wrote:

There are exceptions.

Thomas

I certainly wasn't referring to you as a "casual" fan Thomas.

:lol:, I was pretty sure you didn't Peter, but I think a couple of 'non casual' fans prefer to read these lots of interesting points of the 'true collectors' here instead to write the own knowledge (more or less) down.
Personally for me goes, I enjoy every info here and it's very interesting to see all these 'bits of info by the way'. It's a great idea to have the album threads here!

Thomas
thrund

Postby bailbath » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 pm

As it appears that some members feel the need to delete their posts I will be going through threads and pruning or deleting if the thread is not making sense.
So sorry if anyone is offended it is not a personal thing but rather a way for me to get this forum back in line and make sense.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Ok spent a few hours tidying up but if something don't make sense let me know. What a heck of a mess!
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 am

as far as i can see, with a lot of discussion we coud go on with the album threads. i would be happy for information from the experts :D
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Nex album Killer "rock and roll time"

Postby soldat5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am

All news could be higher...wellcome!!!
ok??
soldat5

Re: Nex album Killer "rock and roll time"

Postby PeterC » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 am

soldat5 wrote:All news could be higher...wellcome!!!
ok??

http://www.jerry-lee-lewis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2829
PeterC

Previous

Return to Albums