Album discussion threads?

Album discussion threads?

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 am

Ten years ago, I bought me the last two Vinyl Bear Boxes in exchange for my regular JLL LPs. This was a big mistake but at that point of time I didn´t have that much money to just buy the Boxes at my second hand store. Now I´m buying, one by one, the older albums again. Yesterday I received 7 LPs and I went through them, took my others from the shelf and was looking at the cover art, was reading the notes etc. I think you all know what I´m talking about when I talk about that feeling I had when I was looking at that big pictures, saw the vinyl spinning and the light crackles were coming out of the speakers (not to mention the Killer). Anyway, I was thinking abou starting a thread per album. Each week a different one. Would this work? Will you contribute or is it just my personal fun? With all this knowledge here and that many opinions, this could be interesting and very much fun. What do you all think about. I wouldn´t do it chronologically. Please give me your opinions about it!
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Re: Album discussion threads?

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am

bluesinc. wrote:I wouldn´t do it chronologically.

Why not? Surely this is the best way. Not all the various Sun compilations of course, but I'd start with at least the two proper Sun albums.

I belong to a Hollies forum where we've been doing this same thing:

http://www.topfreeforum.com/hollies/vie ... um=hollies
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
bluesinc. wrote:I wouldn´t do it chronologically.

Why not? Surely this is the best way. Not all the various Sun compilations of course, but I'd start with at least the two proper Sun albums.

I belong to a Hollies forum where we've been doing this same thing:

http://www.topfreeforum.com/hollies/vie ... um=hollies

Ok, I would start with just regular Studio LPs and the official Live Albums
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:59 am

bluesinc. wrote:the official Live Albums

I suggest you just stick to the ones that were released at the time (GLS, Star Club, By Request, International, etc), & ignore later retro releases for now (Church, Palomino, Dalton, etc).
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:12 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
bluesinc. wrote:the official Live Albums

I suggest you just stick to the ones that were released at the time (GLS, Star Club, By Request, International, etc), & ignore later retro releases for now (Church, Palomino, Dalton, etc).

that´s what i meant
www.girmindl.at

bluesinc.

Postby jarireinikka » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby thekiller92 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Great idea, that would sort the different thoughts on each album by each member...Certainly a nice way to experience the work and times of Jerry Lee together!
thekiller92

Postby hussein_maloof » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 pm

I´m a vinyl fan... Nothing can compare with that sound! I started my JLL collection in digital format (CD´s), but I´m agree that LP´s has some kind of magic (the cover art, the liner notes... even the smell, hahaha).

A week ago, I recieve the GBOF soundtrack, the Mexican Version (in this album, Jerry performs "Crazy Arms" alone, without Dennis Quaid). That´s my 15th LP in my JLL collection.

The cheapest was "Return of Rock" (monoaural), and it cost me $7.99 dollars. The most expensives are: Monalisa (a bootleg, but a little pleasure to listen) at $69.99 (imported from Italy) and "Four Legends" ($109 dollars. Yep, I´m crazy I know but I HAD to have this album).

Start the thread!!!

- Hussein

P.D. Some big pictures of the cover can be a nice addition!!!
hussein_maloof

Postby Perk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Hussein, agree from here! When cd´s came around i was excited and thought it was great to finally get Jerry´s stuff in better quality and scratch free. But it turned out over the years that the sound was worse. Now years later i play more vinyl than ever. Not even those scracthes bothers me anymore. The sound is so much full and more warm.
Perk

Postby jarireinikka » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:42 pm

zz
Last edited by jarireinikka on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarireinikka

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

I think this would work better if we started individual threads for each album (see The Hollies link I posted earlier!). Otherwise it will get confusing if people come back to this thread at a later date.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Ian, do you think it's worth starting a new section for putting these album reviews in? I'm not a big fan of too many sections, but I think this project deserves one. :D
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am

good idea, i thought about it myself but didn´t know who to ask
www.girmindl.at

bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 am

Ian? Ian?! Are you there?????????????? :?
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 am

No need to shout Peter been working and sleeping!!Give me 5 mins and I will see what I can do lov u Peter x
bailbath

Site Admin

Next

Return to Albums