Bear Family Box Sets

Bear Family Box Sets

Postby matt gilliam » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Since it has been so quiet on here for so long, I'm starting a topic. Moderators can move it if it's in the wrong place.
I have been listening to "The Locust Years" and "Mercury Smashes" Box sets lately. I wish there would be another of later (Elecktra). The birthday tribute last month of "Since I Met You Baby" was great to hear and I assume there are lots of things we haven't heard. There are so many good recordings he made that never were hits but could have been. I go through spells when I listen to his music and then get tired of it and listen to other artist, but it's always great to come back and go thru the box sets and hear it all again. The "Sun Years" are wonderful also. I like hearing how his voice changed over time. I can't decide which period is best as all are unique and have their high points. I wish he had done more before age started to affect his range. I'm sure upon his death we will be bombarded by new studio and bootleg live performances. Thank God for the internet and all it provides.
matt gilliam

Re: Bear Family Box Sets

Postby MarkusR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi Matt,
that all is true what you have been written about the ol' boxes, yet. So what you want us to say now?? Ofcourse, it should be a big, big box with all of the Elektra years + all of the live recordings done at the palomino. Also, we need to have a big box of the MCA recordings with some regular live shows been recordet at Gilley's which would fit into these years.
Maybe we should beg at Bear Family to do it before his death...
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Forget the live stuff (that belongs on separate projects), what we really need is a box set spanning the years 1979 to 1995... Elektra, MCA, Four Legends, Class of '55, Rocket, GBOF Soundtrack, Whiskey Talkin', Youngblood + the many unreleased outtakes & sessions from these years.

After this (when Jerry truly retires or dies) a box set covering the years from Last Man Standing onwards would be great.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Fully agree with Peter on this. The live albums are for entirely different project. Even if the next box set included only the Elektra/WB stuff it would include the 3 released albums from 1979-1980, plus 3 albums that were recorded and never released ...EX: The second Bones Howe album from 1979, and 2 1980 albums, plus the 3 albums recorded in November 1980 at Caribou Ranch, plus the 1990 Whiskey Talkin' sides and Young Blood sessions from 1994-1995 which also included enough material for a 2nd album.
Rocky

Postby peter molecz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Rocky wrote:Fully agree with Peter on this. The live albums are for entirely different project. Even if the next box set included only the Elektra/WB stuff it would include the 3 released albums from 1979-1980, plus 3 albums that were recorded and never released ...EX: The second Bones Howe album from 1979, and 2 1980 albums, plus the 3 albums recorded in November 1980 at Caribou Ranch, plus the 1990 Whiskey Talkin' sides and Young Blood sessions from 1994-1995 which also included enough material for a 2nd album.

At the moment this is a dream only. It seems that even an Elektra/WB box is out of interest for the owners of all the unissued tracks from these Kilroy sessions. And who has the original tapes from the unissurd Bones Howe session besides of WB ? - the big companies prefer to release Greatest Hits CD´s
again and again. Bear Family needs support from fans who are close to the material - similar to the last SUN project.
Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby Safc1973 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Could we not organise a petition to bear family tomtry & persuade them to release the aforementioned albums
Safc1973

Return to Albums