Little Richard

Re: Little Richard

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Well, the thought that the big guy or some higher power does not exist, which is a possibility, is horrible.

In that case our behaviour in whatever way would be meaningless and would have no consequences. And those people that have been killed in Las Vegas would not get another chance.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Back to Little Richard: The first long interview that was put on YouTube was recorded in May 2017 at Seventh Adventist Church in Nashville, TN. Thanks to Paul MacPhail for supplying this information!
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Well, the thought that the big guy or some higher power does not exist, which is a possibility, is horrible.

Don't worry, life can be wonderful without any belief in a higher power. The world is full of wonder and a none-religious human mind can find great comfort in loads of real things, like art and nature and friends. Just because people like me believe there's probably no afterlife, doesn't make things 'horrible' at all.

wolfgangguhl wrote:In that case our behaviour in whatever way would be meaningless and would have no consequences. And those people that have been killed in Las Vegas would not get another chance.

If there's no god, our behaviour is meaningless? I'm a little shocked that you think in such a way. That's like saying the threat of hell is the only thing that stops you (or anyone) from doing bad things. There's a lot of very moral, caring people in the world who conduct themselves with a perfectly sound none-religious conscience. I'd like to think I'm one.

I can't believe a grown-up would say "if there's no god our behaviour is meaningless". If you honestly think that, then it's best you believe in a god then. Thor's a good one, you'd at least be a bit original, because he's had no followers for ages!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 am

No, not the thought of hell stops me from doing bad things, but the fact that bad things are in itself bad. Personally I do not need a higher power to act morally. But there are some people where the thought of hell probably prevents them from doing bad things, so the threat of hell can do some good.

What I mean is if there is no judgement after life whatsoever, I'd be shocked. Because like I said that means that some people live a long and prosper life while others have to go through sickness, die early or even get killed in a terror attack, all based on coincidence. Very unfair! Then life is just a lottery and has no function that goes beyond one particular life. That also means that a soul does probably not exist and we are all just some sort of biological product that evolved on coincidence. If that's the truth I would better not know about it. Absolutely horrible and my worst nightmare!!!
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:What I mean is if there is no judgement after life whatsoever, I'd be shocked. Because like I said that means that some people live a long and prosper life while others have to go through sickness, die early or even get killed in a terror attack, all based on coincidence. Very unfair! Then life is just a lottery and has no function that goes beyond one particular life. That also means that a soul does probably not exist and we are all just some sort of biological product that evolved on coincidence. If that's the truth I would better not know about it. Absolutely horrible and my worst nightmare!!!

Which is why I'd never say people that choose to believe in a higher power are simply stupid for doing so, (though I do think the less intelligent a person, the more they're likely to take on a religion, and that's been proven statistically). But what you just wrote is quite succinct and explanatory, and I think it's very honest. I also think it's why religions have proved so popular over the years. We choose to believe there's some kind of cosmic fairness out there, like there's some referee on life overseeing things and sorting stuff out when things are unfair. Perhaps there is? Let's hope so.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am

Shouldn't this religious discussion be in the "off topic" section? :roll:
PeterC

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure the four or five people that still use this forum know how to scroll.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:What I mean is if there is no judgement after life whatsoever, I'd be shocked. Because like I said that means that some people live a long and prosper life while others have to go through sickness, die early or even get killed in a terror attack, all based on coincidence. Very unfair! Then life is just a lottery and has no function that goes beyond one particular life. That also means that a soul does probably not exist and we are all just some sort of biological product that evolved on coincidence. If that's the truth I would better not know about it. Absolutely horrible and my worst nightmare!!!

Which is why I'd never say people that choose to believe in a higher power are simply stupid for doing so, (though I do think the less intelligent a person, the more they're likely to take on a religion, and that's been proven statistically). But what you just wrote is quite succinct and explanatory, and I think it's very honest. I also think it's why religions have proved so popular over the years. We choose to believe there's some kind of cosmic fairness out there, like there's some referee on life overseeing things and sorting stuff out when things are unfair. Perhaps there is? Let's hope so.

Exactly, at the end of the day it is all about hope!
wolfgangguhl

Postby rockin532000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Actually 6 people as I am still reading it but unfortunately have nothing to add which would be of any value. Except that since years I only believe in myself and my family and that' s good enough for me.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Maarten K. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 pm

Seven! :)
Maarten K.

Postby martin bates » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Eight :) often check in especially after shows.
(Even during half time for England! )
martin bates

Postby bailbath » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 pm

And I'm always present. A bit like god.....?
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Some people paint a picture that makes it look like Jerry is just an evil guy, who likes to beat up people. I think this is very far from the truth. He is a troubled person, who also used to take a lot of drugs and medication. If he was that bad I wonder why Myra and Linda still talk nicely about him decades after they have been mistreated. He can't be that bad.

That being said I would not like to have him as my next-door-neighbour or even live in his household either. I prefer it quiet and peaceful! :wink:
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:50 pm

And regarding Richard: I do not like being told what to do or believe in!

Jerry on the other side keeps his religiosity to himself.
wolfgangguhl

Postby scottdoran1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 pm

I seriously doubt the "Guhl" household is "quiet and peaceful" ;)
scottdoran1

PreviousNext

Return to Music