Little Richard

Little Richard

Postby rockin532000 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 am

I finally read Little Richard's biography by C. White in order to realize (sorry for my ignorance) he actually made some records in the 70's as well as mid to the end of the 60's.

However, when I searched amazon.com I could not really find anything except songs from the 50's and early 60's. Can anybody help me on this (I am not interested in the gospel stuff)? Is there any compilation somewhere available?

Thanks for any help.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm

the label Rhino handmade issued a very ltd edition of Little Richard's recordings for Reprise Records. Unfortunatly this is very difficult to find these days and when u find it is very expensive due 2 it's rarity. I hope this helps

Chris de B
Last edited by ChrisdeB on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisdeB

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Another example: The CD "Get Down With It - The Okeh Sessions"from Epic. It contains recordings from 1967, including unreleased stuff. There also was a CD called "Rock'n'Roll Resurrection" from Charly Records with re-recordings of his hits from 1976 - but this one is hard to get by now.
Dirk B.

Postby rockin532000 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:35 am

Thanks for your advice. I have ordered now:

- Little Richard - Classic Cut (with songs recorded at beginning of the 70's)

and

- Little Richard - The Explosive Little Richard (plus) (with songs from 1967 and some additional ones)

I hope I will not be dissapointed.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Dirk B. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:42 am

I don't know the CD "Classic Cut". I only know "22 Classic Cuts" - it's a best of compilation with Specialty Recordings.
Dirk B.

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:03 am

And personally I feel there´s hardly nothing worth of hearing after Specialty by LR,mostly just poor remakes of true R & R classics,already perfected at Specialty,certainly not worth trying to outdo!
jarireinikka

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:58 am

The album "Lifetime Friend" is one of the best albums ever in my opinion. I certainly can recommend Richard's later recordings. Sometimes they even surpass the originals.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Dirk B. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Richard has made a lot of great recordings in his later years - maybe it's time for Bear Family to put out a new boxed set!
Dirk B.

Postby Ulli » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Dirk B. wrote:Richard has made a lot of great recordings in his later years - maybe it's time for Bear Family to put out a new boxed set!

I agree. The albums 'The Rill Thing' and 'The Second Coming' contain some real groovy music.
The Freedom Blues and Mockinbird Sally are the best of them IMO, also some Funk and Soul can be heard on these Reprise albums.
What I don't like is Richard from the eighties on, except Great Gosh A Mighty.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I love much of his Vee Jay & Modern recordings, these showed what an incredible SOUL act he could be, right up there with James, Otis & Wilson! 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:42 pm

The best after-Specialty is Somethin´Else,duet with Tanya Tucker,but still I can´t think more than 10 or so good tracks after Specialty,I don´t find those 60´s too groovy for my ears,rather more or less pain to my ears ...
jarireinikka

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I love later Little Richard recordings like 'Get Down With It', 'King of Rock'n'Roll', 'Dew Drop Inn', 'Holy Mackerel', 'Groovy Little Suzie' and 'Operator'

And there's still a lot of his later stuff I haven't even heard.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby martin bates » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Tony Papard wrote:I love later Little Richard recordings like 'Get Down With It', 'King of Rock'n'Roll', 'Dew Drop Inn', 'Holy Mackerel', 'Groovy Little Suzie' and 'Operator'

Dew Drop Inn (& Freedom Blues on the other side) was great; when I first got 'into' LR in 69/70. One of my favourite recordings by him was 'Without Love', from the mid-60's I think but I don't know for sure. What a voice; far better than any other verion I've heard & I was positively disappointed by the Drifters version when I saw them live earlier this year - & they are great singers! I also liked Great Gosh-A-Mighty .I remember Chas White playing a recording of it at one of the JLL conventions, first time I heard it. From the album 'Lifetime friend'.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

martin bates wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:I love later Little Richard recordings like 'Get Down With It', 'King of Rock'n'Roll', 'Dew Drop Inn', 'Holy Mackerel', 'Groovy Little Suzie' and 'Operator'

Dew Drop Inn (& Freedom Blues on the other side) was great; when I first got 'into' LR in 69/70. One of my favourite recordings by him was 'Without Love', from the mid-60's I think but I don't know for sure. What a voice; far better than any other verion I've heard & I was positively disappointed by the Drifters version when I saw them live earlier this year - & they are great singers! I also liked Great Gosh-A-Mighty .I remember Chas White playing a recording of it at one of the JLL conventions, first time I heard it. From the album 'Lifetime friend'.

Martin.

Oh yes, 'Without Love' is a great, powerful ballad the way Richard sings it. And 'Great Gosh-A-Mighty' was the other song I was trying to think of.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 am

It's a pity Richard never put out a good live album, although he is such a great entertainer. The only official live recordings we have are one with overdubbed frenetic applause and ultra-short versions of his hits along with songs like "Bring it on home to me" (this one never appeared on CD) and one recorded with an invited audience (at the "Okeh Club"), both from the sixties.
Dirk B.

Next

Return to Music