Fats Domino

Postby martin bates » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm

I saw Fats in Sheffield in a legends show with Chuck & Little Richard. Fats closed the show & was ill. Also a family member had passed away while he was on tour and he was generally in 'bad shape'. Nevertheless he gave a great performance- including a number of instrumentals and/or songs with extended instrumental breaks,from the band & himself. Blueberry Hill, I remember particularly, he sat back & played while the audiance sang most of the song.The set came to an abrupt & comical end when he suddenly upped and left the stage ,taking the mike stands out with him as they became entangled and crashed into each other.Fats surveyed the scene and continued on his way !
I had previously seen him in 72 in Manchester....he's great.
It surprises me in his concerts & on DVDs eg with JLL & Ricky Nelson,despite all his own great achievements, he introduces Blueberry Hill as 'Elvis' favourite song' or whatever, as if that is the most important thing !
Martin.

Tony Papard wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Fats also did some weird performances throughout his career

Really?
can you tell us more?
Weird in which way?

Pushing pianos off the stage, collapsing stages and once he did a show containing only instrumental versions of his songs.

Pushing the grand piano across the stage was Fats' trademark at the end of his show, like Chuck's 'scoot' and 'duckwalk', Little Richard stripping and Jerry Lee playing with his feet and climbing on the piano. Perhaps he just pushed a little too far one day, which may or may not have been the result of alcohol consumption.

Was the show which consisted of only instrumental versions because he had laryngitis or something and he didn't want to disappoint fans?

Five beers a day would be more than I could handle, but doesn't seem excessive to me, especially if spaced thruout the day.

Now if you'd said Fats was addicted to food, it might explain why he was never slim and why his first hit in 1949 was 'The Fat Man'. Ha ha!

But if he needed a drink to get over stage-fright, then I don't blame him - Jerry took speed, most performers take something. Crazy Cavan drink whisky from a bottle which they pass round on stage, it's become their trademark. It looks very unprofessional, but is part of their wild image.
martin bates

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
Fats certainly varied his sets more than JLL does now.

And the songs he did include in most of his shows were well known ones, not obscure things like Jerry Lee's 'I Don't Want To Feel Lonely Tonite', 'Why You Been Gone So Long?' and 'Before The Nite Is Over'.

Nor hits more associated with other rockers, such as 'Roll Over Beethoven' and 'Johnny B. Goode'.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby rockin532000 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 pm

While rather late in my posting but if you read

Blue Monday: Fats Domino and the Lost Dawn of Rock 'n' Roll

a biography I can recommend it is openly stated that Fats had a gambling and alcohol addiction for years (in particular in the 60's and 70's) where he also missed a number of shows.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Fats Domino

Postby Rocky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:24 pm

A biography I can recommend...
FATS DOMINO: BIG BEAT BLUES. Fats day-by-day by Paul MacPhail.
Everything a Fats fan would want to know...every show, tv show, movie, single, album, recording dates, boozing, gambling, cars, homes, band members and their escapades, foreign tours, family life, money, etc.
Rocky

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame to honor Fats Domino, Dave Bartholomew
http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... to_ho.html
wolfgangguhl

Postby Rocky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Sad News! It has now been confirmed by Fats' family. He has had Alzheimer's for the past couple of years. I talk to him by phone about every six months, and while he knows me well, one has to go back to the beginning. He still remembers stuff from way back but not in the past few years. Many people knew this including the locals in New Orleans, but have kept the secret till now. The 2005 flood, death of a grandson the day before the flood, and the death of Rose Mary brought it all on. Too much for an 82 year old man to take.
Rocky

Postby thrund » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:12 am

Rocky wrote:Sad News! It has now been confirmed by Fats' family. He has had Alzheimer's for the past couple of years. I talk to him by phone about every six months, and while he knows me well, one has to go back to the beginning. He still remembers stuff from way back but not in the past few years. Many people knew this including the locals in New Orleans, but have kept the secret till now. The 2005 flood, death of a grandson the day before the flood, and the death of Rose Mary brought it all on. Too much for an 82 year old man to take.

...really sad news....thanks Paul.

Thomas
thrund

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for letting us know, Paul. This explains a lot.

It seems it was indeed rumoured for a long time:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=371615

This also explains his strange behaviour at times. It also explains why he now won't even go to Cleveland. I suspect his family won't allow him to make a fool of himself.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:58 am

By the way, the legendary Etta James suffers from Alzheimer, too.

Why Alzheimer in early stages does not mean that people have to stop their careers or even live totally reclusive it sooner than later means the end of all public appearences. People usually die from it within 10 years of the outbreak (in this case around 2005), so I would not expect him to live much longer.
wolfgangguhl

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 am

I've long suspected that Jerry has this too... :?
peterchecksfield

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

peterchecksfield wrote:I've long suspected that Jerry has this too... :?

He tends to forget, but most elderly people do (especially the ones, who do not like to user their brains like Jerry). Very few people in comparison really suffer from Alzheimer, even if many give the impression. Alzheimer's disease is a MASSIVE cognitive illness.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Tumppi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I've long suspected that Jerry has this too... :?

I don't actually think so. It's true that Jerry Lee forgets some things more than before, but for example he still can do some ex tempore "new" songs like "Mean Old Man" on stage and remembers the words and chords (mostly three chord songs though) quite well. And looks like he still remembers new things very well too. But I don't say that it's impossible that he has alzheimer.

By the way dementia is not always connected to alzheimer, my great-aunt had very bad dementia (before she died she forgot how to eat) because she had low blood pressure, her brains didn't get enough blood.
Tumppi

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:31 am

NEW CD!

FATS DOMINO
GIVE ME SOME! RARE AND UNRELEASED

01. Ain't That A Shame
02. There You Go
03. Three Fools
04. Three Fools (undubbed)
05. It Makes No Difference Now
06. Had My Fun
07. Get Your Business
08. Every Night About This Time '82
09. Matter Of Time
10. I Love You
11. Alive And Kickin' (alt. version)
12. Four Leaf Clover (alt. version)
13. Give Me Some (alt. version)
14. Give Me Some (alt. version)
15. This Is My Story (alt. version)
16. Whiskey Heaven
17. My Toot-Toot
18. Don't Mess With My Popeye's
Bonus tracks:
19. Who Cares (alt. version)
20. All By Myself (live version)
1-9 Recorded in Washington - 1982
10-15 Recorded at Ultrasonic Studios, New Orleans - 2000
16 Recorded in Las Vegas - 30.06.1980
17-18 Recorded at Ultrasonic Studios, New Orleans - 30.04.1985 (duet with Doug Kershaw)
19 Recorded at ABC Paramount Studio, Nashville - 1963
20 Recorded in Montreux, Switzerland - 01.05.1973

Available at www.jpc.de
wolfgangguhl

Postby bluesinc. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:57 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:NEW CD!

FATS DOMINO
GIVE ME SOME! RARE AND UNRELEASED

01. Ain't That A Shame
02. There You Go
03. Three Fools
04. Three Fools (undubbed)
05. It Makes No Difference Now
06. Had My Fun
07. Get Your Business
08. Every Night About This Time '82
09. Matter Of Time
10. I Love You
11. Alive And Kickin' (alt. version)
12. Four Leaf Clover (alt. version)
13. Give Me Some (alt. version)
14. Give Me Some (alt. version)
15. This Is My Story (alt. version)
16. Whiskey Heaven
17. My Toot-Toot
18. Don't Mess With My Popeye's
Bonus tracks:
19. Who Cares (alt. version)
20. All By Myself (live version)
1-9 Recorded in Washington - 1982
10-15 Recorded at Ultrasonic Studios, New Orleans - 2000
16 Recorded in Las Vegas - 30.06.1980
17-18 Recorded at Ultrasonic Studios, New Orleans - 30.04.1985 (duet with Doug Kershaw)
19 Recorded at ABC Paramount Studio, Nashville - 1963
20 Recorded in Montreux, Switzerland - 01.05.1973

Available at www.jpc.de

thought this is out quite a time, saw it on bim bam a few months ago and read about it in aforum about one year ago approx.
but anyway, good to mention it here
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 pm

I've read about this CD long ago. I think it was mentioned on a website. I couldn't find the CD anywhere, though. So I'm very pleased it is now available at jpc.de. Thanks, Wolfgang. I'll make my order.
Dirk B.

PreviousNext

Return to Music