Fats Domino

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Maybe we should start a seperate thread discussing our addictions! :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:But I believe Bobby McGee, that he has his smoking under control.

:) :)

I don't believe a word from those, who drink or smoke every day "just for the taste of it".

I agree!
But: the point is: if those people stopped doing so, would they become nervous, moody, nerveless, depressive maybe? If yes, they´re addicted. If not, they´re not addicted. It´s that simple!!
If there´s no consequence after having changed your behaviour, then you won´t be addicted...

EXACTLY!! And to figure out whether Fats is addicted to Heineken, someone would have to take away his Heineken "beer" and watch his reaction. All the rest is just guessing. I am guessing he is addicted, but cannot say for sure.

Anyway, it does not really matter. He is now 82 years old and people should do whatever makes them happy, especially at 82!!
wolfgangguhl

Fats drinking

Postby Rocky » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Fats was (is) a silent drinker. Did he drink as much as Jerry...NO! But he did miss shows because of his drinking. He was imune to it eventually. I had a friend that drank 2 40 ouncers of rum every day. No one knew he drank until they seen him sober one day. I seen one of Fats contracts in the 70s. It stipulated that every place he played he was to get 12 bottles of Highland Queen Scotch. That was his drink. There had to be a bottle in the motel room or hotel too, and one in the limo. This was in his contracts. He was sued several times over missing shows. On top of that...his band were all heavy drinkers. However, they could handle it. It rarely affected their performance. Today, Fats openly admits he drinks 5 Heineken per day. Do I drink...yes, I do. I was never an alcoholic. I never drank in the morning, I'm a sipper. I eat when I drink. I only drink Vodka. I hate whiskey, wine, gin, or beer. I can drink a beer and that's it. I'm a one-day drinker. I can go to a dance or party, have a few and enjoy myself. I haven't been drunk in 30 years. I may drink tonight, and not again for several months. I could never understand an alcoholic. But, everyone's different. I could always take it or leave it. I never drank for the taste...but I liked the glow...always did, always will. I talk to Fats on phone about every 6 months. He's always drinking a Heinenken. He too, is now a sipper. Paul.
Rocky

Postby Dirk B. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:33 pm

thrund wrote:
Dirk B. wrote:The only thing I knew so far was that Fats loved Heineken beers. Doesn't he still drink Heineken today?

Do you count beer to alcohol?
:wink:
You're right, Thomas! Beer isn't alcohol, it's medicine!
Dirk B.

Re: Fats drinking

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Rocky wrote: It stipulated that every place he played he was to get 12 bottles of Highland Queen Scotch. That was his drink.

12 bottles?
Nobody can drink 12 bottles of Whiskey without dying afterwards ;-)
Bobby McGee

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:51 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Fats also did some weird performances throughout his career

Really?
can you tell us more?
Weird in which way?

Pushing pianos off the stage, collapsing stages and once he did a show containing only instrumental versions of his songs.

Pushing the grand piano across the stage was Fats' trademark at the end of his show, like Chuck's 'scoot' and 'duckwalk', Little Richard stripping and Jerry Lee playing with his feet and climbing on the piano. Perhaps he just pushed a little too far one day, which may or may not have been the result of alcohol consumption.

Was the show which consisted of only instrumental versions because he had laryngitis or something and he didn't want to disappoint fans?

Five beers a day would be more than I could handle, but doesn't seem excessive to me, especially if spaced thruout the day.

Now if you'd said Fats was addicted to food, it might explain why he was never slim and why his first hit in 1949 was 'The Fat Man'. Ha ha!

But if he needed a drink to get over stage-fright, then I don't blame him - Jerry took speed, most performers take something. Crazy Cavan drink whisky from a bottle which they pass round on stage, it's become their trademark. It looks very unprofessional, but is part of their wild image.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Bobby McGee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

Tony Papard wrote:Was the show which consisted of only instrumental versions because he had laryngitis or something and he didn't want to disappoint fans?

To me the idea of doing/ attending a Fats show with only instrumental versions of "his" songs/ of his repertoire is VERY interesting. I´d love to see this! Absolutely nothing bad about it!
As far as I know Fats tended [more than JLL these days] to always do the same songs the same way/ or a very very similiar way. Even 20 or 25 years ago when he was younger... now, a show with extended/ or only piano solos and other solos by his band is a very nice idea!! It´s different :)

I also would love to see a show by JLL containing only instrumental versions with lots of piano solos/ guitar solos. I don´t need no lyrics all the time... instrumental music can be GREAT!
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:24 am

Fats Domino has recorded many fine instrumentals, far better than JLL has ever recorded. Jerry's 1951/1952 demo 'New Orleans Boogie' is very much in the early Fats Domino style incidentally.
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am

peterchecksfield wrote:Fats Domino has recorded many fine instrumentals, far better than JLL has ever recorded. Jerry's 1951/1952 demo 'New Orleans Boogie' is very much in the early Fats Domino style incidentally.

Do you think Fats is the better piano player?
I have some Fats CDs and DVDs too (I think I´ve ALL Fats DVDs that are available), I like him very much, I listened to Fats´ music long before I began listening to JLL´s music (as a child I´ve even attended a Fats concert here in Germany in 1992, I was 11 back then :) ) but my impression is: JLL´s piano playing is "better"/faster/more "rocking"/more inventive and fancy... yeah I think JLL is really a stylist (as he called himself very often in interviews) ... I personally like JLL´s style better!
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:39 am

Jerry is (or at least was) far more inventive, but Fats is still a fantastic player, very under-rated. He was also extremely influential on other 50s rockers, including (at least to some extent) Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran & Buddy Holly. I don't think anyone truly invented rock 'n' roll, but Fats Domino can probably claim that better than most.
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 am

Bobby McGee wrote:Do you think Fats is the better piano player?
...... but my impression is: JLL´s piano playing is "better"/faster/more "rocking"/more inventive and fancy... yeah I think JLL is really a stylist (as he called himself very often in interviews) ... I personally like JLL´s style better!

C'mon Thomas you know, Fat's is a stylist too and plays with his unmistakable sound.
Ok, we are Killer fans but as Peter said already Fats is a unique and great player.......Remember your Fats' BF box or here (one of my favourite songs, by the way):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKMBlF_2L8

.....don't tell me that wouldn't be stylish. :wink:

Thomas

one more?....ok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spyc4Ml9 ... re=related
thrund

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 pm

thrund wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:Do you think Fats is the better piano player?
...... but my impression is: JLL´s piano playing is "better"/faster/more "rocking"/more inventive and fancy... yeah I think JLL is really a stylist (as he called himself very often in interviews) ... I personally like JLL´s style better!

C'mon Thomas you know, Fat's is a stylist too and plays with his unmistakable sound.
Ok, we are Killer fans but as Peter said already Fats is a unique and great player.......Remember your Fats' BF box or here (one of my favourite songs, by the way):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKMBlF_2L8

.....don't tell me that wouldn't be stylish. :wink:

Thomas

one more?....ok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spyc4Ml9 ... re=related

Exactly Thomas, & let's not forget that it was also Fats Domino who played piano on Lloyd Price's 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy', a strong candidate for the first true rock 'n' roll record... 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby ChrisdeB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

I've Just purchased the BF fats Domino box set which i am thoroughly enjoying. I also purchased a CD called Fats domino '65. Whats that you Got which is made up of 2 shows recorded in Las Vegas and also a studio session also recorded in Las Vegas.

There is nothing mentioned in Ray Colman's superb biography regarding Fats' alledged alcholisim. To me 5 x heinkeins a day does nit sound particularly excessive. In the Fats biography it does say that he did have a problem with gambling and dropped quite a considerable amount on the tables in Las vegas

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:Was the show which consisted of only instrumental versions because he had laryngitis or something and he didn't want to disappoint fans?

To me the idea of doing/ attending a Fats show with only instrumental versions of "his" songs/ of his repertoire is VERY interesting. I´d love to see this! Absolutely nothing bad about it!
As far as I know Fats tended [more than JLL these days] to always do the same songs the same way/ or a very very similiar way. Even 20 or 25 years ago when he was younger... now, a show with extended/ or only piano solos and other solos by his band is a very nice idea!! It´s different :)

I also would love to see a show by JLL containing only instrumental versions with lots of piano solos/ guitar solos. I don´t need no lyrics all the time... instrumental music can be GREAT!

Fats certainly varied his sets more than JLL does now.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Fats Domino has recorded many fine instrumentals, far better than JLL has ever recorded. Jerry's 1951/1952 demo 'New Orleans Boogie' is very much in the early Fats Domino style incidentally.

Do you think Fats is the better piano player?
I have some Fats CDs and DVDs too (I think I´ve ALL Fats DVDs that are available), I like him very much, I listened to Fats´ music long before I began listening to JLL´s music (as a child I´ve even attended a Fats concert here in Germany in 1992, I was 11 back then :) ) but my impression is: JLL´s piano playing is "better"/faster/more "rocking"/more inventive and fancy... yeah I think JLL is really a stylist (as he called himself very often in interviews) ... I personally like JLL´s style better!

I also saw a Fats Domino concert at 11. My first concert and from then on I was hooked.
wolfgangguhl

PreviousNext

Return to Music