Sweet Gene Vincent

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:Gene Vincent live at the Cavern 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0UwLwW6fs

I've had these for years too... :D

You really need to trade DVDs more often. :wink:

Grief, but what a miserable and disinterested looking audience! Compare and contrast with JLL's Granada TV studio audience in 1964.

Perhaps both Liverpool and Everton lost that same day! Poor old Petula Clark is the only person in view with anything like a smile on her face; no wonder Gene Vincent spent all his time looking at the ceiling...

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:47 pm

The best footage of Gene Vincent in my opinion are the three songs from Belgium in 1963 (again these are on my DVD compilation!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:Gene Vincent live at the Cavern 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0UwLwW6fs

I've had these for years too... :D

You really need to trade DVDs more often. :wink:

I'd never seen this clip before, so have downloaded it. Thanks Chris.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Re: Sweet Gene Vincent

Postby PianoLidAgain » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

See short, affecting documentary from 1969 embedded toward the end of the following blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/07/between_the_gutter_and_the_sta.html

This works even if you're no great fan.
PianoLidAgain

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:39 pm

x
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 am

I'm sure this wasn't the full documentary, which I believe was about an hour. There's another clip on YouTube where he is walking thru London's West End and the background track is Rainbow At Midnite.

It was very sad seeing him rehearsing with The Wild Angels in that dingy room with mattresses etc. against the walls. And broke my heart when he was waiting for his money and admitted he only had 9d (that's nine pence in old money - 12 old pence made 5 new pence or one shilling). Gene said it was embarrassing. I can't understand why he was reduced to such a level - he should have been earning reasonable money even at that late stage of his career.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby chris morris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Yes, the original BBC documentary was about an hour and was heartbreaking for Gene Vincent fans. He was still being ripped off and clearly worried about getting paid. But even then in the concert footage, playing to a small audience, he put on a storming show....the "Baby Blue" footage shows him doing the business. A lot has been written about sub standard performances towards the end of his life but I still rate him as one of the greatest live acts ever.

Chris
chris morris

Postby jayhawks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 pm

just watched the docu-

very moving, very touching !
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby john1 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm

‘A lot has been written about substandard performances towards the end of his life but I still rate him as one of the greatest live acts ever.’ [/b][/b]

That is open to question, as we cannot now see/compare/judge his live performances. But what is, in my view, not open to question is the quality of Vincent’s voice. For unlike his live performances we can (still) judge his voice. Listen how he bends notes, pushes pulls vocals combined with a breathtaking vocal purity and if that was not enough, on top of all this, his always idiosyncratic interpretations. If JLL is a great stylist then GV is a unique stylist. That’s beyond measure –this man’s talent/gift is very, very rear. In a way his tragedy is that he was/is boxed into any category/label –for I know no other equal white male voice.
john1

Postby PeterC » Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 pm

john1 wrote:That is open to question, as we cannot now see/compare/judge his live performances. But what is, in my view, not open to question is the quality of Vincent’s voice. For unlike his live performances we can (still) judge his voice. Listen how he bends notes, pushes pulls vocals combined with a breathtaking vocal purity and if that was not enough, on top of all this, his always idiosyncratic interpretations. If JLL is a great stylist then GV is a unique stylist. That’s beyond measure –this man’s talent/gift is very, very rear. In a way his tragedy is that he was/is boxed into any category/label –for I know no other equal white male voice.

The difference is of course that Gene Vincent died at 36... the same age when Jerry's voice was at it's very peak! Also, listening to Gene's last recordings, his voice was clearly past it's best (reminded me of the JLL of 1974-1975).
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Here's one of my favourite Gene Vincent recordings (I think it has the edge over Jerry's version though I love that too)...

PeterC

Postby john1 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am

‘Here's one of my favorite Gene Vincent recordings (I think it has the edge over Jerry's version though I love that too)...’

This track makes my point perfectly. Both Lewis’s and Vincent’s are uniquely individual renditions. Listening to both tracts it’s almost if they were different songs, that how far apart these two interpretations are. Very few artists have this (natural) ability to offer an interpretation that transforms a song into a piece of exclusive (personal) art. Perhaps the starkest example of this said talent is Little Richard’s version of Money. The standard blues shouter rendition of Money is transformed almost beyond belief.
john1

Postby PirateHook » Tue May 06, 2014 11:44 am

When it comes to Ballads with Gene, i can say he does them soo good. The Rose Of Love is a real treasure. Recorded in 1971 just weeks before Gene died, on a $140 tape recorder.
PirateHook

Postby Tumppi » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 pm

PeterC wrote:Here's one of my favourite Gene Vincent recordings (I think it has the edge over Jerry's version though I love that too)...

I agree with this, actually Gene's version was the first I heard of this song on a budget cassette in early 90's.
Tumppi

Postby chris morris » Sun May 18, 2014 5:59 pm

john1 wrote:That is open to question, as we cannot now see/compare/judge his live performances.

I saw him several times in the latter part of his career and each show was great. His act invariably generated a weird sort of tension which the audience (usually consisting of a good number of hard core rockers) loved. He has not been well served on film and I agree with Peter that the Belgium footage is the best that survives. There are two numbers from the Granada "Whole lotta Shakin'" broadcast that were never shown but are rumoured to have survived but I've always thought it unlikely.

Chris
chris morris

PreviousNext

Return to Music