Little Richard has died

Little Richard has died

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Still waiting for official confirmation, but his band members Wayne Chaney and Kelvin Holly confirm that he has died today.
wolfgangguhl

Re: Little Richard has died

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 2:53 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 pm

I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sat May 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Very sad indeed, but not unexpected.

Will always treasure the 5 great shows I saw in 1992, 1998 and 2000, as well as all those fantastic records. Even when performing less than great songs his charisma shone through:

R.I.P.!!
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Sat May 09, 2020 4:08 pm

R.I.P.
Those great records will always raise the spirits of any genuine r 'n'r fan. His wonderful appearance in The Girl Can't Help It is one of the glories of rock and roll. Little Richard in all his manic splendour hammering the keys, singing at full throttle while Jayne Mansfield wiggles across the screen...what could be better?
Chris
chris morris

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 4:58 pm

The time has come...

This old world is the worst I have ever seen
it is full of silly sickness
it is like a bad dream
but when the day arrives
I'll be the first in line
I got a one-way ticket
with the master on my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKwriutIpHM
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 5:13 pm

The cause of death is bone cancer, but we all know he was not feeling well in general.

But he still looked cool at the various appearances he made in recent years.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 6:11 pm

"It is with a heavy heart that I ask for prayers for the family of my lifelong friend and fellow Rocker ‘Little Richard.’ He will live on always in my heart with his amazing talent and his friendship! He was one of a kind and I will miss him dearly. God Bless his family and fans. Rest In Peace, my friend. Love Eternally, Jerry Lee Lewis"
wolfgangguhl

Postby john1 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 pm

That is a very nice and genuine heart felt tribute from Jerry. As a kid I first saw Richard at the New Brighton Tower ballroom. He was ‘supported’ by a dozen or so Liverpool bands. Richard was simply from another planet when it came to live performance, he was in a different stratosphere. Billy Preston was part of his band that night and I remember Billy P getting exited moved by Richard’s wildness. Richard was/is the greatest live artist I ever saw. However, for me, its Richard’s voice; simply the best voice in Rock/Soul, that is underplayed. PS The RILL THING is one of the great all-time albums. If it wasn’t for his enormous ego more great pieces of art could have been produced -he had, as per Jerry Lee a ‘god given talent. Very few have
john1

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat May 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Here is a moving and very fitting tribute by Bob Dylan, who hardly ever comments on other people's deaths:

"I just heard the news about Little Richard and I’m so grieved. He was my shining star and guiding light back when I was only a little boy. His was the original spirit that moved me to do everything I would do. I played some shows with him in Europe in the early nineties and got to hang out in his dressing room a lot. He was always generous, kind and humble. And still dynamite as a performer and a musician and you could still learn plenty from him. In his presence he was always the same Little Richard that I first heard and was awed by growing up and I always was the same little boy. Of course he’ll live forever. But it’s like a part of your life is gone."
- Bob Dylan
wolfgangguhl

Postby chris morris » Sun May 10, 2020 7:17 am

The Bob Dylan tribute is clearly quite heartfelt. In his High School yearbook for 1959 when he was 18, Dylan wrote that his ambition was "to join Little Richard." I also remember hearing on a Dylan documentary a brief bit of a home recording of a teenage Dylan playing piano and singing ,"Little Richard, Little Richard...." in an attempt to imitate his idol.
Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Sun May 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Little Richard didn't just upstage '60s Liverpool groups: I saw him wipe the floor with an overweight, lethargic and track-suited Jerry Lee Lewis over 3 nights in 1992. I'm sure Jerry himself noticed this too, as on later tours with Little Richard and/or Chuck Berry he didn't insist on top billing.

Talking of Jerry Lee Lewis, I criticised the title of 'Last Man Standing' in 2006, but now that Bo, Chuck, Fats and Richard, have gone he really is the last of the '50s rock 'n' roll greats.
PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm

I'm glad I saw Little Richard doing an amazing performance at Hartwall Arena, Helsinki in July 1997, right after seeing Jerry Lee's quite average show. I've read afterward that Richard's performances varied a lot during that "Legends" tour, on some nights he spent the whole show just teasing the audience. That night his piano playing was excellent, and of most of the songs, he did full versions. Sad that he's gone now, but that's not a surprise by that age.
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Tumppi wrote:I'm glad I saw Little Richard doing an amazing performance at Hartwall Arena, Helsinki in July 1997, right after seeing Jerry Lee's quite average show. I've read afterward that Richard's performances varied a lot during that "Legends" tour, on some nights he spent the whole show just teasing the audience. That night his piano playing was excellent, and of most of the songs, he did full versions. Sad that he's gone now, but that's not a surprise by that age.

Little Richard was better on the 1992 than in 1998 and 2000, but he was still very entertaining. I recall a couple of young JLL fans sitting near me at the 2000 London show, and they told me they weren't staying for Little Richard... I urged them to watch him for 5 minutes, and they were on their feet cheering for the entire performance!
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu May 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Some rarities:

Little Richard - Greek Th, Los Angeles, CA - June 8th 1991 Un-circulated Rare Live Recording
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqrRtS ... 7bgDB6N6l0

Little Richard - Freedom Song - LIVE 1981 RARE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4PYb- ... l6LykLMZIk
wolfgangguhl

Next

Return to Music