'Channelling The Beat!' (new book by Peter Checksfield)

'Channelling The Beat!' (new book by Peter Checksfield)

Postby PeterC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:10 pm

This may or may not interest some of you (but it will explain why I haven't been on forums much!) ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1723468215/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1723468215/

‘This is my favourite book… a brilliant look at who and why. I can’t put it down!’ PETER NOONE (Herman's Hermits)

'Well done Peter, you’ve reminded us just how famous we all were!' MIKE PENDER (The Searchers)

‘This book is a fantastic reference archive… a ‘must have’ book for any music lovers’ TONY CRANE MBE (The Merseybeats)

‘It is my pleasure to be a part of this book, so have a great read and enjoy!’ BRIAN POOLE (Brian Poole and The Tremeloes)

'A concise and extremely well researched tome!' STEVE ELLIS (Love Affair)

With 30 years of research, over 700 info-packed pages, and a foreword by Peter Noone, Mike Pender, Tony Crane MBE, Brian Poole, Steve Ellis& Billie Davis,‘Channelling The Beat!’ more than lives up to its subtitle 'The Ultimate Guide to UK ‘60s Pop on TV'!

Profiled are over 150 “British Invasion” artists. These include the post ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll of Cliff Richard, Adam Faith and The Tornados; the beat explosion of The Beatles, The Tremeloes and Herman’s Hermits; the rhythm ‘n’ blues of The Rolling Stones, The Pretty Things and The Who; and the psychedelia of The Pink Floyd, Procol Harum and Traffic, not forgetting the girl singers such as Cilla Black, Billie Davis and Dusty Springfield.

Amongst the 100’s of legendary shows featured are the UK’s ‘Ready, Steady, Go!’, ‘Top of The Pops’ and ‘Thank Your Lucky Stars’, the US’s ‘The Ed Sullivan Show, ‘Shindig!’ and ‘Hullabaloo’, Europe’s ‘Beat Club’, ‘Popside’ and ‘Twien’, and 100’s of more!

So, whether you have just a casual interest in ‘60s music and culture, or you're a more serious researcher and historian, this is the book for you!
http://peterchecksfield.com/
PeterC

Re: 'Channelling The Beat!' (new book by Peter Checksfield)

Postby Piet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Well done my friend, good to hear that there still are people who love the old British beatbands from the sixtees.
I hope you sell a lot of them and nice to see that those famous names from the early days love your work. :!:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am

Piet wrote:Well done my friend, good to hear that there still are people who love the old British beatbands from the sixtees.
I hope you sell a lot of them and nice to see that those famous names from the early days love your work. :!:

Thanks Piet! I'm already getting quite a response.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:55 am

THE EXPERT
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:THE EXPERT

Hehe! :wink:
PeterC

Postby thrund » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Wow!
Not my field of music but for sure you are the man for such a project...my respect!

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:49 pm

thrund wrote:Wow!
Not my field of music but for sure you are the man for such a project...my respect!

Thomas

Thanks Thomas! : )
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm

That looks great Peter ! I've ordered a copy for my kindle fire. That's the era I grew up with ; when they all started getting a but weird I turned to the likes of Chuck et al who the Beatles, Stones & the others all raved about. But enough about me. :) I have great affection for those acts & looking forward to the book . Best of luck as well for the project - it's a big deal getting it into print, well done.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm

martin bates wrote:That looks great Peter ! I've ordered a copy for my kindle fire. That's the era I grew up with ; when they all started getting a but weird I turned to the likes of Chuck et al who the Beatles, Stones & the others all raved about. But enough about me. :) I have great affection for those acts & looking forward to the book . Best of luck as well for the project - it's a big deal getting it into print, well done.
Martin.

Wow, thanks Martin! If possible, can you put a review on Amazon once you've digested it a bit?

Thanks again, appreciated! :D
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:12 pm

I will. Looking forward to it.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am

A quick plug! Amazon.co.uk are currently selling the paperback version brand new for £19.96 (instead of the usual £24.95). I don't know how long this promotion will last (it wasn't set up by me), but if you're thinking of getting it then this might be a good time.
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Following my earlier comments this is a book well worth reading if at all interested in the era. Bags of fabulous facts as well as the authors insight into the background info. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:37 pm

martin bates wrote:Following my earlier comments this is a book well worth reading if at all interested in the era. Bags of fabulous facts as well as the authors insight into the background info. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Martin.

Thank you Martin! :D

Incidentally, yesterday I went to a '60s Gold package concert, where I had the great pleasure of meeting Tony Crane and Billy Kinsley of The Merseybeats, also thanking Tony for writing a foreword to my book. After that, I wished Frank Allen of The Searchers a happy retirement (the group are calling it a day in March next year), and presented him with a copy of my book; when he saw the size of it he said it would last him longer than his retirement! He also requested I sign it for him (I never thought I'd see the day when a '60s legend would ask for MY autograph!). Also included on the bill were Steve Ellis (who always puts on a good show), and P.J. Proby, still in incredible voice at the age of 80. A memorable night.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:15 pm

For those interested, I've written a lengthy review of the "SIXTIES GOLD" show that came to Margate a few days back (featuring The Searchers, The Merseybeats, P.J. Proby, Steve Ellis, The Fortunes and Vanity Fare):

https://peterchecksfield.com/2018/10/23 ... ober-2018/
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 am

Just a quick plug: I'll be on Spencer Leigh's Radio Merseyside show at 7pm on Sunday (16th December), talking about 'Channelling the Beat!'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radiomerseyside

Also, a rave review by respected author Alan Clayson appeared in the latest issue of the U.S. 'Ugly Things' magazine:

https://peterchecksfield.com/2018/12/11 ... -magazine/
PeterC

Next

Return to Music