R.I.P. CHUCK BERRY!!!

Re: R.I.P. CHUCK BERRY!!!

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Tom Morello and Nathaniel Rateliff
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:51 pm

I found this, and there's a track-list!

Looks like we'll at last be getting the oft-rumoured Lady B Goode!

Dmitri Lekai/Kommersant via Getty ImagesChuck Berry may be gone, but he's also out with his first new single new single in nearly 40 years.

Dualtone has released "Big Boys," a scorching Berry romp featuring Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello and Nathaniel Rateliff. It's the lead single from Berry's upcoming album, Chuck, the late Rock and Roll legend's first new album since 1979 and one he had been working on since 1991.

Kicking off with a classic Berry guitar riff, "Big Boys" offers the tale of a little boy who wants to party like the big boys do. Berry and Rateliff trade vocals, and while most of the guitar breaks are Chuck's, the track ends with a smoking solo from Morello.

Rolling Stone has a look inside Berry's final album, which includes a Johnny B. Goode sequel "Lady B. Goode," and a re-write of "Havana Moon" called "Jamaica Moon."

According to the magazine, some of the songs have their origins in the 1980s, when Berry was touring the oldies circuit. "He always had a pad and a pencil with him," says frequent Berry bass player Jimmy Marsala. But a fire at Chuck's Berry Park in 1989 destroyed 20 years worth of tapes.

Berry worked to recapture much of the music, switching to digital production and teaching band members parts he'd written on piano.

"Sometimes he'd show us the bass line or the piano line that he wanted," Marsala tells Rolling Stone. He heard things differently than most people do, let's put it that way."

Then Berry would check the music with his wife of 68 years, Themetta "Toddy" Berry. "My mom would give a thumbs up or a thumbs down," remembers Charles Berry, Jr., "Thumbs up, he was done. Thumbs down, 'I've got more work to do.'"

Chuck is due June 16.

Here's the track list:

"Wonderful Woman"
"Big Boys"
"You Go to My Head"
"3/4 Time (Enchiladas)"
"Darlin'"
"Lady B. Goode"
"She Still Loves You"
"Jamaica Moon"
"Dutchman"
"Eyes of Man"
--
Richard Harvey

Postby PeterC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Hmmm... I hope this isn't going to be a "Last Man Standing" type album with multiple "star" overdubs.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:46 pm

No, there are not going to be any more guests apart from a contribution by Gary Clark Jr.

I doubt that Chuck himself wanted ANY guests to be honest. I also don't think he was even aware, who Tom Morello and Nathaniel Rateliff are.
Morello is already getting on my nerves on various Springsteen releases and live shows.

I also know that he recorded more songs than just 10. I heard it was more like 12 - 15. One of them was "Loco Joe", a song he even performed live.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Tom Morello and Nathaniel Rateliff

It is Nathaniel Rateliff singing.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Previously unreleased material (professionally filmed in 2003):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YXiWaT07Y

And more material that is new to me, taped in 1997:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lNdkCAFkA
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby martin bates » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Regarding the album: It is surely going to be great, but it was recorded around 2001 - 2002, at a time when Chuck was 74 - 76 years old, with only little details (overdubs, guitar licks) that might have been added later. So much for the energetic 90-year-old that the press now reports about...

A little bit off topic , but the track Big Boys sounds great.... So around the time they were putting Last Man Standing together , Chuck wad active in the recording studio also . Wad there ever a definitive reason why Chuck wasn't on or invited on LMS. ?

Martin.
martin bates

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Chuck Berry’s family announces St. Louis funeral arrangements
http://fox2now.com/2017/03/29/chuck-ber ... rangements
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm

I kind of like how Chuck's family deals with his death. There are no fights within the family, no lawsuits, no nothing. Chuck knew how to run a tight ship. I fear it will be very different with Jerry.
wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am

wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Ingrid Berry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tVCFHom00A

Very poignant and touching to see her holding Chuck's cap.

I agree totally, the Berry family have handled the whole thing impeccably, though to be honest I wouldn't have expected anything else. Great people.
PeterC

Postby Perk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Ingrid was very touching indeed holding the cap! The Captain of Rock forever!
Perk

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 pm

The Latest: Family and Friends Pack Service for Chuck Berry
https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainme ... huck-berry
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:03 pm

I just finished watching the live feed of the funeral. I thought it was very dignified and tasteful indeed. I don't know how religious Chuck was, but I suppose you have to expect a religious ceremony. It was a little shocking at first to see him in an open casket, but not in a bad way. I don't think it's very common in Europe to do that, so it was unusual, I suppose, to see it. But he looked at peace and I'm not ashamed to say I teared up when I saw he was wearing his sailors cap, and the guitar was there.
I thought the tributes were earnest and heartfelt, and it was a true family funeral thankfully free of show-biz cheapness.
--
Richard Harvey

PreviousNext

Return to Music