Liberace

Liberace

Postby MarkusR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 pm

I recently "discovered" Liberace via youtube and found out, what an amazing, brilliant piano player he was! Of course, as being a follover of Jerry, I knew the name very well, as the Killer mentioned him a lot during his concerts as saying:
"let me see, if Liberace could do this" or "I don't think, Liberace can play this..." and so on.
Does anyone knows, why he said this so often?
I mean, Liberace was a studied classical piano player who, in the 50s, was reportedly known as the world's fastest piano player doing 6.000 right notes in two minutes...!!
So what about the apparantly jealously of Jerry about him?

To me, he seemed to be a very nice, friendly person, who could do everything on the piano, being called "Mr. Showmanship". He played everything from Chopin to Beethoven to Samba to Boogie Woogie and everything magnificent!

See him doing DIXIE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsrpUJicKNY

Would be interesting to know, what you think about him.

Rock on,

Markus
MarkusR

Re: Liberace

Postby MarkusR » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:43 pm

It is very strange, that even you, the dedicated Fans, are not able to say something about this topic?
Does no one have see the magic hands of him doing some tickeling over the ivories?
Seventy People have seen my posting and no one has a personal meaning about him?
Strange, strange....
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 pm

More than 560 people have seen my post on Ray Manzarek, a far more original and creative keyboard player in my opinion... yet no-one has commented.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2863

So don't take things so damn personally. :roll:
PeterC

Postby MarkusR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:38 pm

I just wanted to know, if somebody could something about the meaning of Jerry's comments about Liberace, as he has done that pretty often. If Jerry would have mentioned Ray Manzarek, I would have asked about him.

Even you, PeterC, cannot say something about the connection between Jerry and Liberace - a true miracle in my opinion...

I really don't know, what you mean, saying "don't take it DAMN personally" - if I ask something by myself, how could it not be personally?

By the way, there's not a single reason to curse on me - be polite as it is supposed to be in the internet - thanks.
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:32 pm

There's no "connection" between the two. I suspect Jerry simply (like myself) thought he was a bit of a joke. :oops:
PeterC

Postby TwentySmallCigars » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:07 pm

My father took me to see Liberace in concert when I was 9 or 10 years old, I had just started taking piano lessons at the time.

I can still remember parts of the glitzy stage show but his piano playing blew me away, especially as I was just learning the instrument at the time.

Now, Liberace & Jerry Lee certainly had different styles both musically and professionally but they were both (and, in Jerry's case, are) superior piano players.

I can see calling Liberace a 'joke' if you have only ever paid attention to the gaudy costumes and campy presentation but his piano playing is very accomplished and far from a joke.
TwentySmallCigars

Postby PeterC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:07 pm

TwentySmallCigars wrote:I can see calling Liberace a 'joke' if you have only ever paid attention to the gaudy costumes and campy presentation but his piano playing is very accomplished and far from a joke.

Some people consider Jerry lee Lewis to be a bit of a joke. Each to their own.
PeterC

Return to Music