R.I.P. Bobby Vee

R.I.P. Bobby Vee

Postby PeterC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Bobby Vee has died. Met him and his sons in 1992 during the UK "Giants of Rock & Roll" tour (one of his sons played bass for Jerry during his surprise London club appearance). I've always loved the "Bobby Vee Meets The Crickets" album, one of my all-time favourite albums by anyone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37756170
PeterC

Re: R.I.P. Bobby Vee

Postby chris morris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

I don't wish to speak ill of the dead and I agree that Bobby Vee Meets the Crickets was a good album but I thought most of his output was dire. As he's just died it's not really the appropriate time to make disparaging comments and I wish his family well at a sad time but the music of Bobby Vee and others of his ilk was the reason why I became a fan of Jerry, Little Richard, Chuck and others in the early sixties. I suppose I should be grateful for that as it meant when all my mates in their early teens were becoming fans of the Beatles, Stones etc., I was searching out music by the original r'n'r artists as I still am more than 50 years later! I still shudder when I think of that awful era of Vee, Brian Hyland, Bobby Vinton and their equally bad British counterparts.
Chris
chris morris

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I remember watching an interview of JLL, in which he complained about "too many Bobbys" invading the music world. Wasn't that in the "I am what I am"-documentary?
Dirk B.

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Dirk B. wrote:I remember watching an interview of JLL, in which he complained about "too many Bobbys" invading the music world. Wasn't that in the "I am what I am"-documentary?

It was 'All You Need Is Love', where he complained about Bobby Vee, Bobby Vinton and Bobby Darin... and praised The Beatles.

Jerry's band certainly don't share Jerry's views though: back in 1992 drummer Jim Isbell said he'd recently played on a Bobby Vee session, and Buck Hutcheson told me how much he loved Bobby's growl. Also, one of Bobby's sons said how much Bobby liked Jerry's music.
PeterC

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks, Peter - yes, that was it. I like some of Bobby Vee's songs, though he lacked the rebel attitude of the early rockers and his music was much tamer than the music of JLL, Chuck, Richard and Elvis' 50's output.
Dirk B.

Return to Music