Tanya Tucker

Tanya Tucker

Postby bailbath » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:36 pm

From the age of 13, Tanya Tucker has claimed a spot in the country music world. By the age of 15, she had received a Grammy nomination, released a greatest hits package and was one of the first country artists to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. With hits including “Delta Dawn,” “Two Sparrows in a Hurricane” and “What’s Your Mama’s Name,” Tucker continues to be a force on the music scene.
In a news release, Tucker says that “one day I just started singing.” Growing up in Arkansas, she sang what she heard on the sole radio station in town, and by 8 years old, she could sing the words with country legends like Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb and Hawkshaw Hawkins.

Tanya Tucker is set to perform at the Grand Opera House on Friday night.

Her hard work and love of music paid off when she recorded her first hit, “Delta Dawn,” when she was only 13. It quickly proved to be the first of many hits and in 1991, she was named the Country Music Association’s Female Vocalist of the Year. The following year she was Country Music Television’s Female Video Artist of the Year.
Tucker has released more than 20 albums, with her last one being “My Turn” in 2009, which includes classic country hits such as “Wine Me Up,” “Lovesick Blues,” “You Don’t Know Me” and “Oh Lonesome Me.”
Tucker, who credits her father, Beau, a construction worker, and her mother, Juanita, for encouraging her fledgling musical talents, states on her website that she was and remains determined “to make records that were in keeping with the sophisticated country rock.” Whatever her secret is, it has led to 29 Top 10 singles, and a firm place in the hearts of her fans.
Even the country purists who booed Tucker on the Grand Ole Opry for performing raucous rock ’n’ roll have to admit that, whatever else she may be, Tucker is a star. Her personality shines through in her 1997 autobiography, “Nickel Dreams: My Life,” and even more so through her own reality show, “Tuckerville,” which aired on The Learning Channel in 2005.
Tucker released another book in 2005, “100 Ways to Beat the Blues on Fireside,” which, according to the news release, “includes tips on pulling yourself out of the dumps from Tanya’s friends, including Willie Nelson, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brenda Lee, Roseanne, Burt Reynolds and Wynonna.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/03/18/1489980 ... z1H99DkWk2
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Tanya Tucker

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:56 am

I met Tanya very briefly in 1987 when she got on the tour bus which transported us from the hotel to Wembley Arena. She was very flirty with everyone (and probably a bit high too)... I remember Linda Gail NOT looking impressed that another beautiful woman was the centre of attention!

Here's Tanya's version of 'Knee Deep In Loving You' (always thought it a shame Jerry's version wasn't released at the time, could've been a big country hit):

PeterC

Postby Piet » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Yes, she was indeed a flirt at every place they went. We saw her in Frankfurt as she was trying to climb in a pole :D
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Piet wrote:Yes, she was indeed a flirt at every place they went. We saw her in Frankfurt as she was trying to climb in a pole :D

In 1987 her and JW Whitten went into a hotel room together, and then later emerged wearing each other's jeans! :oops:

A real wild child.
PeterC

Postby Piet » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:50 pm

PeterC wrote:
Piet wrote:Yes, she was indeed a flirt at every place they went. We saw her in Frankfurt as she was trying to climb in a pole :D

In 1987 her and JW Whitten went into a hotel room together, and then later emerged wearing each other's jeans! :oops:

A real wild child.

Maybe that's why Linda didn't like her :P
Piet

Postby chris morris » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:22 pm

https://youtu.be/WAVfIfGdBY8

Only reason for posting this is that I like it.....

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:27 pm

chris morris wrote:

Only reason for posting this is that I like it.....

Chris

Oh yes, classic performance! More fun than pretty much any of the duets Jerry's recorded over the past decade or so.
PeterC

Postby Piet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:26 pm

You are so right Peter and Linda, eat you heart out, and Tanya, I love the outfit :lol:
Piet

Postby MarkusR » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:19 pm

I saw Tanya Tucker for the first time in Frankfurt '87 and was very impressed by her very good songs and of course, by her great looks. She sang in a golden suit and looks just gorgeous!
Since then I am a great fan of her songs and voice.
Sadly she put on too much weight in my opinion and could look better for her age...
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 am

You're right, the years haven't been kind to her (she wouldn't be able to wear J.W.'s jeans now!), but she still has a great voice.

PeterC

Postby matt gilliam » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm

I recently saw an interview with Tanya by Dan Rathers. What a remarkable woman. She looks different now because she was burned by a skin treatment gone bad. I think she and Jerry would have made a hot Duo if it wasn't for Glen Cambell, the love of her life. I would almost bet he tried to shag Miss TNT.
matt gilliam

Postby MarkusR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 pm

this is the girl I fell in love to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie0f2U9hjB4

Sooooo cute!
MarkusR

Return to Music