Wanda Jackson

Wanda Jackson

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:35 am

Wanda Jackson is getting the benefit of some pretty heavy publicity this morning on Radio 4; she'll be a featured guest on "Womans Hour" at 10am and had a five minute slot on the prestigious "Today" programme (following the Prime Minister, no less!). All plugging her new album, released next week - based on the evidence of the clips on "Today" it sounds pretty good!

http://www.amazon.com/Party-Aint-Over-W ... 583&sr=8-3

"It's an exciting time to be Wanda Jackson," Austin's American-Statesman declared in October on the eve of Jackson's 73rd birthday bash at the Continental Club there. The undisputed Queen of Rockabilly - a touring powerhouse for more than 50 years - is releasing her debut disc for Third Man/Nonesuch Records, the aptly titled The Party Ain't Over.

This collection of vintage and contemporary covers was produced by fan and new-found friend Jack White at his Nashville studio and recorded with a late-night honky-tonk feel by members of My Morning Jacket, the Raconteurs, and Dead Weather, among others. The White-curated lineup of tunes, says Jackson, showcases "all the various types of music that I've done through the years-some country, some gospel, some rockabilly, some rock n' roll. It's got all of that, and we threw in a Bob Dylan song 'Thunder On the Mountain,' just to be safe."

The spirited Jackson, revered for such classic singles as "Let's Have a Party" and "Fujiyama Mama," proves that brash rock and roll attitude need not have an age limit. Her trademark growl remains intact on rockers like "Rip It Up" and "Nervous Breakdown"; she opens the set with an echo-laden sneer on a rollicking version of "Shakin' All Over" and ends it 10 songs later with a plaintive take on Jimmie Rodgers' "Yodel #6." Along the way she tackles the Andrew Sisters kitschy "Rum and Coca Cola" and a big-band rendition of the DeCastro Sisters' "Teach Me Tonight," and she out-sasses-and out-classes-Amy Winehouse on a cover of the British bad girl's "You Know I'm No Good," which has already been released as a single.
Andrew McRae

Re: Wanda Jackson

Postby bailbath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:36 pm

http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2011/01/1 ... aint-over/
http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-music ... 1073844001

The Queen of Rockabillycovering possibly the greatest singer-songwriter ever alongside one of today's most prolific artists, is a pretty easy sell. That said, Wanda Jackson and Jack White's new version of Bob Dylan's 'Thunder on the Mountain' is even better than it sounds on paper. As Jackson tells Spinner, the decision to cover this track was easy -- it was Dylan's idea.

"Jack wanted me to do a Bob song," Jackson tells Spinner. "They're longstanding friends and Bob suggested 'Thunder on the Mountain.'"

Jackson and White took a few liberties with Dylan's version, with the singer changing the lyrics of the second verse to pay tribute to her old friend Jerry Lee Lewis. "In Bob's version, he sings 'thinking about Alicia Keys,'" she says. "'Jerry Lee' fit right in there."

The video for the song features the Third Man House Band, which features White on lead guitar and will serve as Jackson's backing group on tour. While the nondescript setting for the clip looks as if it could be either a banquet hall or meeting space, Jackson reveals it was actually somewhere much more special: "It was filmed in a record plant in Nashville where they were pressing the vinyl copies of my record."

On top of all the work White did producing the album and contributing some phenomenal guitar lines, the 73-year-old Jackson credits him for giving the video its raucous feel. "We did take after take after take, all afternoon, so they got all the angles that they wanted, and he was in rare form," she says. "Every time that we taped it, he had the energy, jumping around like that and playing the guitar."

'The Party Ain't Over' will be out Jan. 25 via Nonesuch Records and White's Third Man Records.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:45 pm

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/ne ... 33358.html

Rockabilly legend Wanda Jackson will join the Broadway cast of the musical Million Dollar Quartet, playing at the Nederlander Theatre for a special encore performance on Thursday, January 20.

The production is directed by Eric Schaeffer. The show was inspired by the famed 1956 recording session that brought together Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley -- along with Sam Phillips, founder of Sun Records.

The cast currently features Eddie Clendening (Elvis Presley), Lance Guest (Johnny Cash), Levi Kreiss (Jerry Lee Lewis), Jared Mason (Carl Perkins), James Moye (Sam Phillips), and Elizabeth Stanley (Dyanna).

For tickets and information, click here.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Last edited by paperboy on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby jayhawks » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 am

FUJIYAMA MAMA
(Essen, February 9th, 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzqxytDUlY

WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN`/ RIP IT UP/ LET`S HAVE A PARTY
(Essen, February 9th, 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvwuYVQesw
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 am

Must admit the 2 times I saw her live (1981 & 2008, both times supporting Jerry Lee Lewis) I found her competent rather than outstanding. She's always been a fine straight country singer though (as well as rockabilly of course), as seen and heard here in 1958:

PeterC

Return to Music