Mickey Gilley

Mickey Gilley

Postby bailbath » Fri May 08, 2009 7:33 am

http://www.laughlinentertainer.com/arti ... /news2.txt

MICKEY GILLEY IN CONCERT AT TROPICANA

Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:53 AM PDT

Mickey Gilley was weaned on music. As a kid, he and his two cousins would sneak up to the windows of Louisiana roadhouses and soak in the sounds of R&B and country. One of those cousins apparently “soaked up” quite a bit for it came spewing out later when he had a whole lot of shakin' goin' on as Jerry Lee Lewis. The other cousin must have heard a different tune playing. He was Jimmy Swaggart.

But this isn't about the other cousins. This is about the boy who not only mastered singing and playing piano to honky tonk music but also was savvy enough to become a businessman and owner of his own club.

Mickey Gilley knew from the get-go that he didn't want to sing other people's songs and do things the way club owners and record companies wanted. He wanted to take the stage his way-and he figured the best course to do that was to buy the stage itself.

So early on in his career, Gilley opened his honky tonk in Pasadena, Texas, and wisely named it after himself-Gilley's. With its pinball machines, mechanical bulls, pool tables and huge stage, it soon became “The Spot” for Texans. Eventually, it became “The Spot” for Americans at large when Gilley started booking big name acts into his club.

In the mid ‘70s, he hit the big time when he became one of those name acts himself through the release of such hits as “Roomful of Roses,” “I Overlooked an Orchid,” “ That's All That Matters To Me,” “Window Up Above,” and his trademark, “Don't the Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time.”

In the ‘80s, Gilley and his club became the focal point of the entire “Urban Cowboy” movement in country music after the John Travolta film of the same name hit theaters. Suddenly, country music became cool-boots and jeans became fashion and dance floors were crowded with couples doing the “Cotton-Eyed Joe”-the very same people who only a few months earlier were dancing to Donna Summer in discos.

Gilley's merchandise flew off the shelves as Gilley flew around the country performing his music-music that now included his big hit from Urban Cowboy's soundtrack, “Stand By Me.” He achieved 39 Top Ten country hits, with 17 of those songs reaching the No. 1 spot. In 1976, he swept the Academy of Country Music Awards hauling home trophies for the Entertainer of the Year, Top Male Vocalist, Song of the Year, Single of the Year and Album of the Year.

He also guest-starred on numerous popular TV series of the day and made appearances on “The Tonight Show.”

In the ‘90s, Gilley's nightclub flamed out (a former partner caused it all to come crashing down), so Mickey Gilley decided to move a couple of states over to Missouri where he became one of the first to open a theater-and one of the first to recognize the potential-in an Ozark Mountains' resort called Branson.

Gilley continues to perform in Branson and occasionally makes forays out across the country for shows like the one he brings to the Tropicana Express, Saturday, May 9.

“I like Laughlin because it's a slower pace than Vegas and not as crazy,” Gilley told us during his last stop in town.

Gilley's show reflects that more laid back attitude found in Laughlin.

“Some people ask me how much we rehearse,” he stated “We don't spend a lot of time rehearsing, usually we just put it out there. If we get moans and groans, we move on until we hit on something that makes them laugh.”

What he does “put out there” that works time and again are the songs that made him famous.

“Even before the soundtrack to Urban Cowboy, I had 17 number one records,” he explained. “I struggled for a long time. Then I hit with “Roomful of Roses” in 1971 and “She Called Me Baby All Night Long” in 1973. I was on a local TV show in Houston and I recorded that for a woman who had 300 jukeboxes around Houston. She told me if I recorded that song she'd put it on every one of her jukeboxes. She wanted a Harlan Howard record. So then we needed a song for the other side-those were the days of 45s-we put “Roomful of Roses” that I sang with Jerry Lee on the the B side.”

This connection with his cousin, Jerry Lee Lewis, was instrumental in starting Gilley's career.

““I wouldn't have got into this business if it wasn't for Jerry Lee,” stated Gilley. “I did construction work and I went to pick him up at the airport once and he pulled out this big wad of bills. I thought, ‘I'm in the wrong business. If he can do it, I can do it.'

“He was a great talent. I still admire what he could do on a piano with songs like “You Win Again” and “Great Balls of Fire.”

But when the family had Jerry Lee at the forefront with musical talent, Gilley's challenge was finding his own voice and his own sound.

“A guy by the name if Jim Ed Norman got me out of the shadow of Jerry Lee,” explained Gilley. “He gave me songs that appealed to a bigger audience and helped me find my musical identity.”

And that identity soon became wrapped up in a Texas honky tonk.

“It was a crazy time,” Gilley said of the heyday of his nightclub. “I thought it was a mistake at the time. I thought there'd be too many lawsuits because of injuries with the mechanical bulls. But suddenly all these guys would come down and get on to impress their girls. It'd throw them off and they'd get back on and yell, ‘Turn it up!' Women rode, too.

“It was the “bull” that made that writer from Esquire magazine come down to see what all the hoopla was about. He wrote the story that became the movie. The whole thing was phenomenal. It was a big part of my life for a long time.”

Actually, it still is. When the band strikes up the notes to “Stand By Me” or “The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time,” images of a Texas Honky Tonk and Urban Cowboy can't help flood the audiences' collective mind.
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Mickey Gilley

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 am

bailbath wrote:“Even before the soundtrack to Urban Cowboy, I had 17 number one records,” he explained. “I struggled for a long time. Then I hit with “Roomful of Roses” in 1971 ? and “She Called Me Baby All Night Long” in 1973. I was on a local TV show in Houston and I recorded that for a woman who had 300 jukeboxes around Houston. She told me if I recorded that song she'd put it on every one of her jukeboxes. She wanted a Harlan Howard record. So then we needed a song for the other side-those were the days of 45s-we put “Roomful of Roses” that I sang with Jerry Lee on the the B side.”

Well, that bit of misreporting might well create a new myth! The very mention of "Room Full of Roses" makes me shudder - whereas Mickey nailed it beautfully, in my book JLL's version was just about the sloppiest recording of his career. (Yes, Tony P., I know you think it's great!)

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Tony Papard » Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
bailbath wrote:“Even before the soundtrack to Urban Cowboy, I had 17 number one records,” he explained. “I struggled for a long time. Then I hit with “Roomful of Roses” in 1971 ? and “She Called Me Baby All Night Long” in 1973. I was on a local TV show in Houston and I recorded that for a woman who had 300 jukeboxes around Houston. She told me if I recorded that song she'd put it on every one of her jukeboxes. She wanted a Harlan Howard record. So then we needed a song for the other side-those were the days of 45s-we put “Roomful of Roses” that I sang with Jerry Lee on the the B side.”

Well, that bit of misreporting might well create a new myth! The very mention of "Room Full of Roses" makes me shudder - whereas Mickey nailed it beautfully, in my book JLL's version was just about the sloppiest recording of his career. (Yes, Tony P., I know you think it's great!)

Andrew

No, I actually agree that Mickey's version of Roomful of Roses is superior to Jerry's sloppy version, the worst track on that I-40 vinyl album. I love all the other tracks on it.

But I also prefer 'She Called Me Baby', the original A side of Mickey's single, to 'Roomful of Roses', though I've only got him singing it on a video from a TV appearance.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby thrund » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE8Nz21_6Sc

Bloopers and outtakes from Time Life's latest infomercial .....
thrund

Postby Amadeu » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:

Andrew

No, I actually agree that Mickey's version of Roomful of Roses is superior to Jerry's sloppy version, the worst track on that I-40 vinyl album. I love all the other tracks on it.

But I also prefer 'She Called Me Baby', the original A side of Mickey's single, to 'Roomful of Roses', though I've only got him singing it on a video from a TV appearance.

Why Jerry Lee sings so bad versions of Room Full Of roses? I havent find a good live version of it ..
Amadeu

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:59 pm

My fave version is probably Long Beach '78, where he does the song both slow & fast (though Music City Tonight '95 is very nice too). :D
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:01 pm

thrund wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE8Nz21_6Sc

Bloopers and outtakes from Time Life's latest infomercial .....

He's certainly aged far better than Jerry (particularly his speaking voice!). :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby thrund » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 am

thrund

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 am

thrund wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AZN8wInx38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0A7rSvo8LE

8)

Thanks, these are PRICELESS! If only he'd come to Europe. Love his talking and joking about his two famous cousins, his singing, his sharp, colorful stage jackets, his backing band/girl chorus. Must try to get to Branson to see his show sometime.

And yes, Mickey's remark at the end of 'Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time' is SO accurate - girls and gay men DO identify with that song, because the boys definitely DO get a lot prettier as closing time approaches. Which is why so many 'score' in the last 30 minutes or so before closing time.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Piet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:34 am

Tony Papard wrote:And yes, Mickey's remark at the end of 'Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time' is SO accurate - girls and gay men DO identify with that song, because the boys definitely DO get a lot prettier as closing time approaches. Which is why so many 'score' in the last 30 minutes or so before closing time.

No Tony, big mistake, we think they look prettier because of the alcohol we consumpted and the fear of missing a companion for the night but, it's a nice quote, I wish he made a follow up on how the girls (boys) looked the next morning when they wake up :lol:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Piet wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:And yes, Mickey's remark at the end of 'Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time' is SO accurate - girls and gay men DO identify with that song, because the boys definitely DO get a lot prettier as closing time approaches. Which is why so many 'score' in the last 30 minutes or so before closing time.

No Tony, big mistake, we think they look prettier because of the alcohol we consumpted and the fear of missing a companion for the night but, it's a nice quote, I wish he made a follow up on how the girls (boys) looked the next morning when they wake up :lol:

Well you're so right, of course, Piet. Reminds me of a gay friend who said his reaction in the morning is to turn to the person next to him in bed and say: 'Who the f***k are you?' Then quickly get shot of them. What Mickey calls waking up with a #1, which is the lowest rating not the highest of course. Ha ha!

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby thrund » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 pm

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/news ... p?xid=3053
Mickey Gilley recovers from back surgery following fall

Sunday, July 12, 2009 – Mickey Gilley is recovering from back surgery after a fall he took over the Fourth of July weekend. Gilley, 73, fell backward off a 3-foot step in Branson on July 5, hurting his back.

Gilley had surgery and is being transferred for further treatment in Houston. A full recovery is expected. Gilley cancelled his performances in Branson where he has a theatre.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bransoncourier.com/issue-79/ ... -1247.html
thrund

Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 pm

For anybody interested, after a paucity of video clips from Jerry Lee's two cousins on YouTube, there are now loads in good quality by Jimmy Swaggart, and also a lot by Mickey Gilley, singing and playing.

I've spent a few hours listening and downloading and particularly liked City Lites, Have I Told You Lately and Linda On My Mind by Mickey Gilley, and We'll Talk It Over, He Washed My Eyes With Tears, Leavin' On My Mind, an instrumental (showing Jimmy can play boogie piano), Where Could I Go (which Linda Gail has recorded), and also many more by Jimmy.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby thrund » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 pm

http://www.theboot.com/2009/11/02/micke ... -accident/

Mickey Gilley Recovering From Life-Threatening Accident
by Pat Gallagher

Mickey Gilley, whose country hits include 'Stand By Me,' featured in the iconic 1980 film 'Urban Cowboy,' continues to recover from serious injury to his neck and spinal cord suffered this past July.

Mickey, 73, was helping a friend move a 40-pound piece of furniture when he backed out through the threshold of a door and fell backwards, leaving him temporarily paralyzed from the neck down.

"When I got to ICU, when I woke up, I was still paralyzed, but then things began to slowly start to come back," Mickey tells The Boot. "My arms started back first, and then my right leg, and now I've got [movement] in both legs and both arms. The only thing that's giving me a problem now is my hands, but the doctor seems to think that when the swelling completely goes down in the spinal cord, that my hands should come back. It was very scary because I panicked when I woke up and couldn't move."

Mickey, who scored five ACM awards in 1976, including Entertainer of the Year, is now in physical therapy four days a week, concentrating on trying to walk again.

"I've walked a little bit with some help. They put me on a little four-wheel dolly, and I walked 454 feet. Then one day I walked 300 feet. Then they put me on a [machine which] helps you walk. It helps your legs up, and they put a certain amount of weight down on you on a treadmill -- about half of what your weight is and you walk on that. I've done that a couple of times. But you're strapped in and they hold you up when you're walking."

Mickey remains uncertain when he may return to perform at his Mickey Gilley Theater in Branson, Mo. "I don't know whether I'll get back this year at all because I'm not able to walk yet. But, hopefully, I'll get back next year. I've got my restaurant there. Hopefully I'll be working next year. I'm planning on it anyway."

While Mickey's spirit and attitude remain positive, he would welcome prayers that he'll soon fully recover, especially in his hands so he can play the piano and perform again. More details of Mickey's injury and his remarkable career in country music will be featured in an upcoming issue of Country Weekly magazine.
thrund

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 am

I had no idea how serious his injuries were, or how it occurred. I thought he fell backwards off some platform when on stage, and after a few weeks off, was back performing again. Had no idea he was paralyzed from the neck down for a time, and is now learning to walk again.

Certainly hope he makes a full recovery and is able to walk and play piano on stage at his Branson theater.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Next

Return to Music