The Charlie Rich Thread.

The Charlie Rich Thread.

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:59 pm

I searched through the archieves and didn't see a thread topic on Sun artist Charlie Rich, so I thought I'd start one - especially since Jerry Lee has so successfully covered him a few times...

Having only really known him from 1970's American country hits, I was surprised how soulful his singing and piano playing is! Example: this unreleased demo a fan posted to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHx5CqYFoNs

I'd be interested if anyone here has any listening recommendations, good stories to tell, or attended a concert back in the day.

Best To All,
Tim in St. Louis
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Here's a little early boogie, "Times A Wastin'"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N_OqYKVjSE&feature=related
Tim in St. Louis

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I've never been a big fan (though I like some of his stuff), but Barrie Gamblin (the UK rep of FBM since 1976) is a BIG fan! In fact he started a UK Charlie Rich fanclub in the early 70s, before the big 70s hits.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tumppi » Mon May 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Rich has never been a big name in Finland, but I've always liked his music. He got very soulful voice, though it weakened when he got older. Here's one of my favourites, also covered by Jerry Lee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFzuTm2OyzM
Tumppi

Re: The Charlie Rich Thread.

Postby Akiller » Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 pm

[quote="Tim in St. Louis"]I searched through the archieves and didn't see a thread topic on Sun artist Charlie Rich, so I thought I'd start one - especially since Jerry Lee has so successfully covered him a few times...

Having only really known him from 1970's American country hits, I was surprised how soulful his singing and piano playing is! Example: this unreleased demo a fan posted to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHx5CqYFoNs

I'd be interested if anyone here has any listening recommendations, good stories to tell, or attended a concert back in the day.
This "Feel Like Going Home" is really one of my all-time country favorites

Reino Makkonen
Akiller

Postby Tumppi » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Does anyone know the exact date of this "Nashville Now" show? Unfortunately Charlie doesn't play piano on "Most Beautiful Girl", but his voice is in very good shape comparing to these last years usually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlYU0jbc_M&feature=channel_video_title
Tumppi

Postby Rocky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 am

I'm surprised to find there was no threads on Charlie Rich...he was a Superstar. His "Behind Closed Doors" album stayed on Billboards pop chart for two years and sold over four million records becoming the biggest selling album in country music history winning him a gold album, platinum album, double platinum album, and the only diamond-studded album in country music history. Most of his hits went to the top of the charts in both pop and country music, and "Most Beautiful Girl" went #1 pop, country, and easy listening...all three charts. He outsold Elvis Presley in 1974-1977 at the International-Hilton in Vegas. His songs have been recorded by all the big names in the music business, in pop, country, and blues field. On March 1, 2011, I've just brought out my biography on Rich, who I've seen in concert several times and have been to his house in Germantown, TN. I've got everything he recorded and some songs that have never seen commercial release.The book CHARLIE RICH: SILVER LININGS. RSP-009. TELLS EVERY KNOWN CLUB OR AUDITORIUM HE EVER PLAYED, EVERY RECORDING SESSION, SINGLES, ALBUMS, CHART POSITIONS, MOVIES, TV shows, cars, family, booze problems, band members, in short-everything. If you like Charlie Rich...it's for you. Paul MacPhail.
Rocky

Postby paperboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 am

This thread was started April 26 2009 so there actually was one (but you're probably refering to that/Tim's two year old message) and I'm sure if there hadn't you would've been welcome to start one... By the way, there are several other great performers who still don't have no thread yet so as soon as I've got the time I'll start one on 'em.

Reading your interesting message I'm sure you can answer Tumppi's question (thanks for the great clip Tumppi :D ). I've already been trying to find the answer to his question myself but unfortunately without any success so far.
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby Rocky » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:21 am

First of all, that WAS NOT his final show on TV. This "Nashville Now" is from October 6, 1989. Nearly 1 1/2 years later he made a second "Nashville Now" show on TV January 23, 1991. Again, 1 1/2 years later he was back for a third "Nashville Now" show on TV September 24, 1992. AND that was not his final TV appearance either. But those are his 3 appearances on "Nashville Now". Is your question answered?
Rocky

Postby Tumppi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Rocky wrote:First of all, that WAS NOT his final show on TV. This "Nashville Now" is from October 6, 1989. Nearly 1 1/2 years later he made a second "Nashville Now" show on TV January 23, 1991. Again, 1 1/2 years later he was back for a third "Nashville Now" show on TV September 24, 1992. AND that was not his final TV appearance either. But those are his 3 appearances on "Nashville Now". Is your question answered?

Yes it is, thanks Paul. I already thought that Charlie looks there much healthier than on this clip, another fine performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtX_yJ7k1A&feature=channel_video_title.

Tuomas
Tumppi

Postby Rocky » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Yes, you are right. That is from the third and final "Nashville Now" of September, 1992, when he promoted his final album. He was deathly pale and worse for wear. Charlie was a bad smoker and drinker, but a real nice dude. He'd still be alive if he had looked after his health. He hated the road and touring...the one reason it left it all in early 80s.
Rocky

Postby Tumppi » Thu May 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Jimmy Dean show 3.12.1964
https://youtu.be/3AtPc6vvr50
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Thu May 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Tumppi wrote:Jimmy Dean show 3.12.1964
https://youtu.be/3AtPc6vvr50

What fantastic footage! Wish we had more early Charlie Rich on video.

I've never seen Charlie with such dark hair, presumably dyed?
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Thu May 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Rich was on two "American Bandstands" in 1960, first one in May he sang "Lonely Weekends", second in October he sang "On My Knees". This Jimmy Show was from December 1964. He was on 4 different TV shows in November, 1964, including "Buddy Deane Show", "Clark Race Show", and "Mike Douglas Show". In 1965 he really hit the TV trail with October appearances on "Shindig", "Shivaree", and many others. In 1966 he made it to the "Johnny Carson Tonight Show".
Rocky

Return to Music