Hank Williams Unreleased Recordings

Hank Williams Unreleased Recordings

Postby ChrisdeB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Is anyone planning to buy the Mother's Best recordings?

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby jonny williams » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 pm

already got em ! in unedited format...supposedly not quite as good as the new releases...but at least they're not cut
jonny williams

Postby ChrisdeB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 pm

jonny williams wrote:already got em ! in unedited format...supposedly not quite as good as the new releases...but at least they're not cut

Great!!! Are they good? Is there plenty of chat on them?

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby jonny williams » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:12 pm

ive had them for about 3 years now..yes they are wonderful....im not sure how edited the new releases are though, but from a press release i read from Colin Escott i think they have cut most of the adverts out, and a fair bit of chat....but the complete 74 shows i have are great, to be fair the adverts do get a bit annoying after a while....but its how it was and im a bit of a stickler for that ! they have been really cleaned up as well, although the shows i have are great quality, of course they have not released everything yet as they are trickling the releases over the next year or two i think....there are some songs duplicated but obviously different as they were all done live, so they wont be released.
some great songs like deck of cards...old shep..i'll sail my ship alone..some real gems that you dont associate with ol' Hank
jonny williams

Postby ChrisdeB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:31 pm

I also read that Reader's Digest will be releasing a CD consisting of four complete shows

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:46 am

ChrisdeB wrote:I also read that Reader's Digest will be releasing a CD consisting of four complete shows

Chris de B

Are these the 'Health & Happiness' radio shows? I've had excerpts on a vinyl album for decades, and if these are similar radio shows I'd love to get them.

Will they be on sale in our record stores in UK? Or are they already on sale?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jonny williams » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 am

no they're not the health and happiness shows tony, these were for Mothers Best Flower, the health and happiness shows (4 of them) were done originally for Hadacol....but they were recorded (but not boradcast live) and put on discs, they were sent to radio shows all over America, the producer made sure hank never mentioned Hadacol, but had fadeouts so the radio shows could put their own adverts/sponsors over the top a shrewd move to get more mileage from the shows and not limiting it to hadacol.
id not heard about readers digest releasing 4 complete shows, you're probably right....i know various companys are releasing different formats...like with Last Man Standing....so you have to buy four different sets to get everything...a rip off if you ask me
jonny williams

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

I´ve got 14 or was it 16 80 mins cd-r´s full of those Mother´s best -shows and they are really brilliant,unusual songs and quite good quality,only thing I´d skip from those are Audrey´s singing,she sings a song every now and then on those shows and it´s really creepy,like an old crow on a tree...otherwise must-have-stuff
jarireinikka

Postby jonny williams » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 pm

only thing I´d skip from those are Audrey´s singing,she sings a song every now and then on those shows and it´s really creepy,like an old crow on a tree

yes i totally agree !! as Hank once said to Don Helms "its terrible to have a wife that wants to sing...but its even worse to have one who wants to sing and cant" !!
jonny williams

Postby chris morris » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:45 pm

The "Unreleased Recordings " 3cd set is in the shops now. Anyone who wants full details of all the other Mother's Best recordings can find them in the discography in Colin Escott's biography entitled simply "Hank Williams"

.....and Jerry Lee is still the only artist to improve on a Hank Williams original!

Chris
chris morris

Postby jonny williams » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 pm

.....and Jerry Lee is still the only artist to improve on a Hank Williams original!

I wouldnt say improve.....more, offer a completley different take on his songs
jonny williams

Postby ChrisdeB » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 pm

jonny williams wrote:

I wouldnt say improve.....more, offer a completley different take on his songs

I agree Jerry Lee certainly does not improve on Hank's versions of his own songs.

I know what you mean about Audrey Williams voice not the most palatable!!!

Did anyone buy the Hank Williams live at the Opry CD from a few years back that included a complete Opry radio show on it?

Chris de B
Last edited by ChrisdeB on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisdeB

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm

jarireinikka wrote:I´ve got 14 or was it 16 80 mins cd-r´s full of those Mother´s best -shows and they are really brilliant,unusual songs and quite good quality,only thing I´d skip from those are Audrey´s singing,she sings a song every now and then on those shows and it´s really creepy,like an old crow on a tree...otherwise must-have-stuff

I've gotten attuned to Miss Audrey's voice over the decades, and her off-key singing. But the funniest thing I've seen her do (not intentionally funny) is one of Hank's 'Luke The Drifter' recitals - 'Men With Broken Hearts', changed by Miss Audrey to 'Girls With Broken Hearts'. This is in a Country Music movie filmed in New York in the 1950s, in color. I only have it on a poor quality VHS video.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jonny williams » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 pm

tony papard wrote:
This is in a Country Music movie filmed in New York in the 1950s, in color. I only have it on a poor quality VHS video.

and Tony my friend....its probably best of staying that way !!
jonny williams

Postby jonny williams » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Did anyone buy the Hank Williams live at the Opry CD from a few years back that included a complete Opry radio show on it?

yeah its a great CD...there quite a few Hank raraties out there including a thing called "stars in her eyes" its a radio play about a woman who's husband goes off to war, and she ends up lonely and has it away with a neighbour...catching syphillis !! (this not a joke honest) hank is singing between the "scenes" and is actually promoting the dangers of syphillis ! the husband comes home and she owns up that she's got the clap....but he forgives her..highly amusing ..and not something that you'd expect from the early 1950's being sung about by Hank Williams
jonny williams

Next

Return to Music