Sweet Gene Vincent

Re: Sweet Gene Vincent

Postby PirateHook » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:51 pm

It would have been Gene's 80th birthday today – 11th February 1935. Gene surely was one of the greatest of all the 1950's Rock 'N' Rollers and should be in every Newspaper today! He could sing anything. There are so many great recordings. Gene died far too young, only 37. I miss him. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02h91xl

I wish he could have read about his 80 Birthday!
PirateHook

Postby chris morris » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:37 am

There's a good 3 page article on Gene in the latest edition of Mojo (December!). It's a combination of photographs and memories of his 1969 UK tour by former Wild Angels Mal Gray and Mitch Mitchell. It confirms the impression of that tour given in the BBC documentary The Rock'n'Roll Singer" ie he was almost penniless and constantly ripped off by managers and promoters. Nevertheless, the two members of the Wild Angels (who backed him on that tour) clearly remember him with affection.
I still regard him as second only to Jerry as a live performer. If you never saw him, check out the clips of him live in Belgium in the 60s on YouTube for an indication of what he was like.

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 am

chris morris wrote:I still regard him as second only to Jerry as a live performer. If you never saw him, check out the clips of him live in Belgium in the 60s on YouTube for an indication of what he was like.

Yes that's fantastic footage. I did expect the Town Hall Party shows to be even wilder, but compared to the cool and confident Eddie Cochran he comes across almost shy and nervous.
PeterC

Postby jayhawks » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:36 am

chris morris wrote:There's a good 3 page article on Gene in the latest edition of Mojo (December!). It's a combination of photographs and memories of his 1969 UK tour by former Wild Angels Mal Gray and Mitch Mitchell. It confirms the impression of that tour given in the BBC documentary The Rock'n'Roll Singer" ie he was almost penniless and constantly ripped off by managers and promoters. Nevertheless, the two members of the Wild Angels (who backed him on that tour) clearly remember him with affection.
I still regard him as second only to Jerry as a live performer. If you never saw him, check out the clips of him live in Belgium in the 60s on YouTube for an indication of what he was like.

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY

Docu "The Rock`N`Roll Singer"... sad to watch :?
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby chris morris » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:54 am

Some good news for Gene Vincent fans. Cherry Red has acquired the rights to all the tapes ( nearly 2000) that were bought from the late Joe Meek's studios. Amongst these are some containing unreleased Gene Vincent material. Although most of his recordings appear to be outtakes from the film Live It Up ( nothing to get very excited about) there is some better news. Gene recorded Money Honey with Sounds Incorporated and this has survived. Those who have heard it say it's fantastic. So the Gene Vincent story ain't over yet. Dan Coffey once told me that when Gene was at his best, he considered him an even more exciting live act that Jerry. Considering Dan was the original Jerry Lee fanatic, that's praise indeed. I saw Gene when he was past his best but he was still amazing.
Chris
chris morris

Postby ChrisdeB » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 am

There is also a version of Lawdy Miss Clawdy in there as well.
ChrisdeB

Previous

Return to Music