Chuck Berry

Re: Chuck Berry

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I like the album, 'cause it's typical Chuck. The only thing that annoys me sometimes is that boring Jim Marsala bass (Boom - Boom Boom etc.) - but Chuck wanted it that way. Chuck's family did a great job on the tracks. On one page of the booklet you can see the full list of tracks Chuck has recorded - with song titles like "Loco Joe" and "Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll" (new track or just another version of "School Days"?). Perhaps these tracks will later appear on a deluxe edtion of the CD??? I have to watch out for the white vinyl limited vinyl edition - is it available anywhere on the net???
Dirk B.

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:11 pm

straight from Barnes & Noble
jarireinikka

Postby Tumppi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 pm

I bought the vinyl edition of the new album about a week ago. I think it's quite good album, better than I thought it would be but not a special one. Chucks sound is pretty much the same it's been since the 60's, which is not a bad thing at all, but I've always preferred his sound from the time he had the P-90 pickups on his guitar. There's some nice songs, I like especially the 'Darling' duet. I also like the package, the booklet is very nice.
Tumppi

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)

New Zealand Heatseekers Albums (RMNZ)

Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)

Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:31 am

There's a really nice 134 page magazine on Chuck, published by Vintage Rock magazine. It's very in-depth, and talks about the records a lot. The whole magazine is devoted to Chuck, and there's some really nice pictures (including two full page shots of the Liverpool July 2000 show, which I was at, but didn't take photos, so I'm very pleased with those). I would completely recommend this magazine.

Also, on the left there is the May issue of Now Dig This. I've got an article in there with some of my photos, where I talk about the shows I saw and my brief meetings with Chuck and how it was being a fan and following his shows round. I'm very pleased with it, it's my own personal tribute. There's a lovely - though I say so myself - colour shot on the back page of Chuck in London 2004. It's one of my favourites I ever took of him.

You can buy the Vintage Rock magazine here...

https://anthem.subscribeonline.co.uk/vi ... k-presents

And Now Dig This here....

https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/store/now-dig-this

By the way, I got a mention in the local paper after Chuck died. I sent them a picture of Chuck in Wolverhampton in 2004 and a reporter phoned me up. She was nice enough, but didn't even know who Chuck was, and was completely unaware that he'd ever played Wolverhampton (where I live in the UK). So I was able to give her some facts about the local shows Chuck did.

This is the picture I sent. It came out crap in the paper.

--
Richard Harvey

Postby PeterC » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for all this Richard! I've just ordered Vintage Rock magazine.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry, wherever you are now!
wolfgangguhl

Previous

Return to Music