Chuck Berry

Re: Chuck Berry

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Wolfgang, it's a pity you stopped running your homepage. I hope you will start the page again, 'cause it was the finest Chuck Berry page on the web with lots of useful information.
Dirk B.

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 pm

It will reopen, celebrating the life and times of Chuck Berry.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Great!!! :D :D :D
Dirk B.

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:It will reopen, celebrating the life and times of Chuck Berry.

That's great news!

The show database is really useful, I think it's the best and most reliable one on the 50's legends.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby Logan » Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 am

Really digging the two new tracks off the upcoming album, especially Big Boys. It sounds like Chuck Berry should
Logan

Postby PeterC » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 am

wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Nice to know Bad Boys wasn't the best of the bunch, I actually prefer this one, if I'm honest. Who's the second guitar I wonder?

Thanks for the link Wolfie.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Dirk B. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

There's also a new live album on the market - some kind of "legal bootleg" - a radio broadcast from 1988 on CD and vinyl.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail ... 0wodOcQH0w
Dirk B.

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm

wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01 pm

It arrived today.. some thoughts on the new Chuck album about three listens in...

Wonderful Woman
A mid-tempo groover. Wow, those drums are loud! Very Berry-like. It’s basically a Roll ‘Em Pete re-write. It’s interesting to hear his studio recorded voice as an older person. Still strong, and 100% Chuck. The theme of forgiving infidelity pops up as in Have Mercy Judge and others. A solid opener. Some none-Chuck guitar towards the end.

Big Boys
A 50’s intro through 80’s amps. This was the taster, and it’s a lot of fun. Again, some none-Berry guitar towards the end, and great to hear a bit of Berry French. He always liked dropping a bit of that in, it goes to show you never can tell. You can see why they used it as the lead track, it’s a signature Chuck rocker with a catchy chorus.
In his biography, he offers up a Maybelline lyrical re-write were the he complains that ‘you let football players do things I want to do’. Looks like that teen jealousy never left him. He’s moaned about schoolday barriers of entry several times in songs over the years.

You Go To My Head
An old standard, re-written with a blues slant and more boomy drums. Ingrid duetting? Its not the first time he’s visited the ‘Great American Songbook’, he did the same with One for my Baby on the London Berry sessions, and there’s further examples during the filming of Hail Hail Rock & Roll.

¾ Time
A hint of barrel-scraping perhaps? This was one of the later years comedy numbers he’d do on stage, and it’s a live recording we find here. For those of us who saw the later Chuck shows, it’s nice to have, but it’s a whimsical throwaway The liner notes tell us it’s written by Tony Joe ‘Polk Salad’ White.

Darlin’
Really pretty, this one A song for his daughter, and it’s lovely. Ingrid’s singing might be a bit marmite, but many will dig her earthy tones. The most obviously sentimental song on the set, and for some reason, it feels like the youngest recorded song on the set.

Lady B Goode
The third instalment in the B Goode story. It’s got more in common with Bye Bye Johnny than the original, and without a chorus, it might be the weaker of the three, but still great to hear. Set in the sixties, Johnny finds romance and becomes a dad. He sings about ‘the golden rule’ again.

She Still Loves Me
Chuck’s recordings were always the more experimental of the 50’s rockers I’ve always though. Particularly as the seventies approached. I see this one as an extension of the things he was doing with songs like ‘My Buddy’. Story-telling set along with a quirky groove, and I approve!

Jamaica Moon
The third visit to Havana Moon. I read somewhere that he always thought Havana Moon was an unrequited hit, which would explain the re-writes. This re-visits the same groove as the Rock-it version. Interesting, but it feels like a cover of a cover.

Dutchman
A Chuck poem. Wow, it’s about himself, but in another universe. The down-on-his-luck writer of Johnny B visits a bar and reminisces.

Eyes of Man

The quirkiest song on an album with quite a few quirks. The last few tracks make this album feel like a seventies Chuck album, but with eighties production, (those drums!). But it’s the most modern sounding Chuck we have.

Packaging? The cover’s a bit naff, but there’s a nice booklet in one side of the gate-fold digi-pack. (which I’ve yet to read), and there’s no cheapness about it. There’s hand-written lyrics, printed lyrics and some unseen photos and stuff. If the vinyl is gate fold, it’ll be a really nice package.

Final thoughts on the first few listens? It’s lots better than I expected. If there’s some deeper themes on the poetry songs they’re lost on my first listen, but I’ll enjoy getting to know them. It sounds very playable, in that it’ll stand up to repeated playings. It’s obviously been a labour of love for Chuck, there’s no ‘phone it in’ songs like ‘I’m A Rocker’. It’s a very cohesive album, (¾ Time aside), in that it visits a lot of styles that were constants through Chuck’s career. Standards, blues, cod-calypso and American standards. I was worried it’d sound codged together and piecemeal, but it hangs together well and most of the songs are complete, finished songs. My guess is, as Chuck became more rocking-chair bound, the musical side of the family dusted off the tapes he’d been working on since the eighties and this is the result. I’m very pleased on the first few first listens. We were never going to get After School Session part 2, this late in the day, but it far from a bag of scraps. It’s a solid, proper album with some great new nuggets of Berry on form. Phew!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Perk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for your great review Richard! I will order the album this weekend. Must have Chuck´s last!
Perk

PreviousNext

Return to Music