Jerry at the Blues City Cafe

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:53 pm

The address of the 2 places is 138 Beale str. and 142 Beale str. so I guess there's a place just inbetween them, I remember there was a big place and stage and at that time there was a songwriter thing going on, now I don't know wich one but one of those guys (not the young black kid) is the writer of 'Don't it make my brouwn eyes blue"as song by the lovely Crystal Gayle.
It had also something to do with "Crossraods" :?:
Piet
Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:03 pm

I almost forgot why we were there "The 40th. Anniversery show".

Jerry and Kris Kristofferson.

Phoebe asked me to pick up Kris from the airport but we didn't have a car available so I missed that one. :(

Piet
Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Another special guest Billy Swan

Piet
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Piet wrote:Image

I almost forgot why we were there "The 40th. Anniversery show".

Jerry and Kris Kristofferson.

Phoebe asked me to pick up Kris from the airport but we didn't have a car available so I missed that one. :(

Piet

Quite a show! I wish the professional footage which was filmed for Kerrie would surface (she should release everything if she still has this stuff!). Below is the setlist:

Boogie Woogie Country Man / You Belong To Me / Crazy Arms / Flying Saucers Rock & Roll (with Billy Lee Riley) / Red Hot (with Billy Lee Riley) / High School Confidential (with Brandy Roberts) / Rockin’ My Life Away (with Mack Vickery) / Meat Man (with Mack Vickery) / Roll Over Beethoven (with Linda Gail Lewis) / When You Wore A Tulip (with Linda Gail Lewis) / [Desperado (Johnny Rodrigez)] / WLS (with Johnny Littlejohn) / It All Depends (Who’ll Buy The Wine) / One Of Them Old Things (with Joel Sonnier) / Jambalaya (with Joel Sonnier) / Jerry Lee’s Rock & Roll Revival Show (with John Williams) / Another Place Another Time (with Jerry Chestnut) / I Can Help (with Billy Swan) / I’m On Fire (with J.C. Harris) / Shake Rattle & Roll (with Joey Wells) / I’m Longing For Home / [Jerry Lee Will Always Be The King (Becky Brindle)] / I Threw Away The Rose (with Jeff Cook) / How’s My Ex Treating You / [Lewis Boogie (Lucas Lee)] / Me & Bobby McGee (with Kris Kristofferson & others) / GBF (slow) / GBF (fast) / Over The Rainbow / Oh Lonesome Me (with Phoebe Lewis) / Stardust / I’ll Find It Where I Can / Mexicali Rose / Haunted House / I’m In The Jailhouse Now / I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight / Goodnight Irene / Jailhouse Rock / Folsom Prison Blues / Tennessee Waltz / I Only Want A Buddy Not A Sweetheart

'Me & Bobby McGee' was 20 minutes long!!! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 pm

Would you believe me if I say that that song was tooooo long, great evening and indeed a shame that there's still no footage from that show.
I remember there were about 4 camera's filming it from behind.

Piet
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Piet wrote:Would you believe me if I say that that song was tooooo long, great evening and indeed a shame that there's still no footage from that show.
I remember there were about 4 camera's filming it from behind.

Piet

Jerry's "people" should release things like this instead of half-arsed compilations like the Time Life DVD.
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:36 pm

From that show Linda and Jerry singing "Roll over Beethoven".
I wonder how many shows these 3 people have been on stage over all these years. :?:

Piet
Piet

Postby flip54 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:54 pm

Saw JLL do a really great gig at BB Kings in August 97, we sat right in front of JLL and piano, he did Little Queenie as a request, JLL was in a great mood and joking with James and Kenny all night, we also saw a set by Jason D at the Blues City Cafe a few days prior but as I was failry drunk I can't remember the internal layout, we did eat there, right opposite BB`s, I think we saw Jason from barstools after moving, or possibly the barstools were moving as it was a very happy hour with cheap cocktails

JLL's opening numbers (YWA was second) were filmed by a major US network news film crew standing just behind our front table, they were there for 20th anniversary "death week", just for a change Kerrie's legal lawyeress pissed them off asking for thousands, they said they didn't pay anything for news items ( custom and practice in tvland)

Earlier in the week Mark James (Suspicious Minds etc) did a fine set at BBs with the Stax session band and Ace Cannon, and he got an ailing Rufus Thomas up to sing and was kind enough to introduce me to the Bear Cat man afterwards, got a pic somewhere.

Phil

anyone remember where in Memphis Jason filmed his Uk debut on Keith Floyd's southern styled cooking series??
flip54

Postby flip54 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:01 am

Next door to the Blues City Cafe was a souvenir type shop where I picked up several sealed copies of that Class of 55 booklet/mag with the Grammy winning interviews on cassette in Sept 2000 on the JLL 65th birthday gig trip. They were lying under some dusty old Elvis oven mitts and dishrags!!! seek and ye shall find

Phil
flip54

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:41 am

[quote="flip54"]we also saw a set by Jason D at the Blues City Cafe a few days prior but as I was failry drunk I can't remember the internal layout, we did eat there, right opposite BB`s, I think we saw Jason from barstools after moving, or possibly the barstools were moving as it was a very happy hour with cheap cocktails

Phil

quote]

I remember the layout at the Blues City Cafe very well indeed. So unless it's been altered, there are no other shops between the cafe and the bar area. The cafe is on the corner opposite what was Elvis Presley's tacky and pricy hamburger joint (give this place a miss if it's still there, a complete rip-off!) BB Kings is opposite on the other side of Beale Street.

You go thru an open doorway at the side of the counter in the cafe and you're in the bar area. There's an entrance/exit to Beale Street and a window on your right, to the left is the bar and the bar area with the stage at the far end. A large picture of Jerry Lee is, or was, on the wall opposite the bar.

I always thought Jerry Lee's music note and handprints were on the sidewalk outside this Blues City Cafe bar, but it's 4 years since I was there so can't remember for sure. My photo just shows the sidewalk, not the adjacent building.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 am

Tony Papard wrote:I remember the layout at the Blues City Cafe very well indeed. So unless it's been altered, there are no other shops between the cafe and the bar area. The cafe is on the corner opposite what was Elvis Presley's tacky and pricy hamburger joint (give this place a miss if it's still there, a complete rip-off!) BB Kings is opposite on the other side of Beale Street.

You go thru an open doorway at the side of the counter in the cafe and you're in the bar area. There's an entrance/exit to Beale Street and a window on your right, to the left is the bar and the bar area with the stage at the far end. A large picture of Jerry Lee is, or was, on the wall opposite the bar.

That's it. I was there in February 2007 and it's as you say.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Perk » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 am

Here´s a picture which shows BB Kings on the right, and both Blues City Cafe places on the other side of the street. I was 100% sure EP´s place was inbetween them, but now when seeing this picture my memory is refreshed ; ) Also the gift shop Phil mentioned is visible!

Perk

Perk

Postby jayhawks » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:13 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Quite a show! I wish the professional footage which was filmed for Kerrie would surface (she should release everything if she still has this stuff!). Below is the setlist:

Boogie Woogie Country Man / You Belong To Me / Crazy Arms / Flying Saucers Rock & Roll (with Billy Lee Riley) / Red Hot (with Billy Lee Riley) / High School Confidential (with Brandy Roberts) / Rockin’ My Life Away (with Mack Vickery) / Meat Man (with Mack Vickery) / Roll Over Beethoven (with Linda Gail Lewis) / When You Wore A Tulip (with Linda Gail Lewis) / [Desperado (Johnny Rodrigez)] / WLS (with Johnny Littlejohn) / It All Depends (Who’ll Buy The Wine) / One Of Them Old Things (with Joel Sonnier) / Jambalaya (with Joel Sonnier) / Jerry Lee’s Rock & Roll Revival Show (with John Williams) / Another Place Another Time (with Jerry Chestnut) / I Can Help (with Billy Swan) / I’m On Fire (with J.C. Harris) / Shake Rattle & Roll (with Joey Wells) / I’m Longing For Home / [Jerry Lee Will Always Be The King (Becky Brindle)] / I Threw Away The Rose (with Jeff Cook) / How’s My Ex Treating You / [Lewis Boogie (Lucas Lee)] / Me & Bobby McGee (with Kris Kristofferson & others) / GBF (slow) / GBF (fast) / Over The Rainbow / Oh Lonesome Me (with Phoebe Lewis) / Stardust / I’ll Find It Where I Can / Mexicali Rose / Haunted House / I’m In The Jailhouse Now / I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight / Goodnight Irene / Jailhouse Rock / Folsom Prison Blues / Tennessee Waltz / I Only Want A Buddy Not A Sweetheart

'Me & Bobby McGee' was 20 minutes long!!! :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: WHAT A "K.I.L.L.E.R."- SETLIST!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

who is so dumb to keep that in "the can"?!!
jayhawks

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:18 am

flip54 wrote:
JLL's opening numbers (YWA was second) were filmed by a major US network news film crew standing just behind our front table, they were there for 20th anniversary "death week", just for a change Kerrie's legal lawyeress pissed them off asking for thousands, they said they didn't pay anything for news items ( custom and practice in tvland)

I have this brief news clip (about 1 minute) on DVD.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:19 am

jayhawks wrote:who is so dumb to keep that in "the can"?!!

The Lewises... :cry:
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions