Nils Lofgren on Last man standing 'live'

Nils Lofgren on Last man standing 'live'

Postby bailbath » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:28 pm

PAUL CASHMERE: You've played a lot of special gigs over the last number of years. The Jerry Lee Lewis 'Last Man Standing' concert must have been amazing to have been a part of.

NILS LOFGREN: It was great because Kenny Lovelace was the guitar player for Jerry Lee and Jimmy Rip was the musical director and there was another guitarist that the TV musical director bought us. So there were 4 guitar players and of course you don't need 4 guitar players. So Jimmy asked me to sit at the peddle steel. Thanks to the E Street Band starting in '99 I learned a little peddle steel and bottle neck and dobro, 6 string banjo, just some odd sounds for the band because we were another band with 4 guitar players. Surprisingly, the band was so good and covered so much territory and hopeful some tasteful peddle steel would fit in there if I didn't get in anybody's way. I felt there are a lot more qualified peddle steel players but I was just musically challenged and excited by what I was listening too. I was just playing some nice licks and I got to fit in and stay out of the way of everyone. I got to sit in and play my peddle steel. Tom Jones walked out and did 'Green Green Grass of Home' with Jerry Lee Lewis and I'm playing the peddle steel. I don't know, it's just the beauty of rock and roll. It's not so much about technique, it's about feel. I also feel the requirement for being in a great band whether it's been with Neil Young, Ringo Starr's All Star Band or, of course, the E Street Band, really it is about the love of the music more than any technical prowess. Hearing that great old Jerry Lee Lewis stuff with all of those guys and having Ronnie Wood sit in with all those great singers, it was really an extraordinary treat.
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Nils Lofgren on Last man standing 'live'

Postby bailbath » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Nils Lofgren wrote:Hearing that great old Jerry Lee Lewis stuff with all of those guys and having Ronnie Wood sit in with all those great singers, it was really an extraordinary treat.

You can feel that in the performance on the DVD it must have been even better actually being there whether watching or being part of the band
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Nils Lofgren on Last man standing 'live'

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:44 pm

bailbath wrote:
Nils Lofgren wrote:Hearing that great old Jerry Lee Lewis stuff with all of those guys and having Ronnie Wood sit in with all those great singers, it was really an extraordinary treat.

You can feel that in the performance on the DVD it must have been even better actually being there whether watching or being part of the band

In some ways yes, but remember that many of the songs had several 'takes' & that there were sometimes long breaks between songs. So it wouldn't have 'flowed' like the DVD (or a proper concert) does.

To a lesser extent the 1989 Hammersmith Odeon show didn't 'flow' very well when I was actually there, with musicians running on & off stage in the middle of songs (the DVD has been nicely edited). Unlike the 1983 Hammersmith Odeon show, which was released on VHS completely uncut with every little comment included.
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:28 pm

It would be nice to see those outtakes.
IAN
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby jayhawks » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:27 pm

playing his acoustic guitar, nils is playing some kind of "rubbish" :twisted: ...

he played the pedal steel well, but, as he said "you don`t need four guitar players", try to figure out his acoustic guitar & you know what i mean!

(playing the dvd with a 5.1.-system nils is very "loud" in the right-back-speaker. )
jayhawks

Return to Discussions