where can I find a version of.....

Postby Perk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 pm

instead of the run of the mill stuff like Woti'dsay

Thanks Phil for your comments about this album. I agree with that "Down The Line" is a highlight! But why does everyone seems to dislike "What´d I Say"? It´s actually the best track to me on this album!

Perk
Perk

Postby flip54 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:36 pm

I assume you mean Killer Rocks On,

I always thought that was a mix of live and overdubbed later strings?? Ie the Jan/Feb 72 sessions with JLL had live strings but so did the overdubbing sessions later on with Pig Robbins March 72, so the end product was a dog`s breakfast. The later Bergen White stuff used to get some real stick in the old fanzines

JLL with strings like Pavarotti with pumping piano. Saw a great comment by him " Fats Domino may have sold more records than me but I weigh more than the Rolling Stones!!"

I really like like KRO but prefer the odd Smash/Merc rocker like Lets Talk About Us, Brown Eyed HM ,Working Man Blues and Big Blond Baby sans strings

I've been thinking why I like Hamburg more than Alabama, Hamburg sounds like you`re in the front whilst Alabama seems middle distant (Panther hall sounds like the parking lot), or do I just need new Q tips??

Looking forward to Hip doing the Chuck n Bo box sets

Phil

Andrew McRae wrote:
Finally the Hip O Select The (complete) London Sessions has arrived

I'll be playing it myself this evening... especially "Memphis" (and "Down the Line"!) :)

BTW... ref the comment "without the dreaded strings dubbed on"... isn't this a (popular) misconception? Weren't most things cut 'live' with the full ensemble, strings and all, in the studio together?
flip54

Postby ChrisdeB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:27 pm

flip54 wrote:I assume you mean Killer Rocks On,

I always thought that was a mix of live and overdubbed later strings?? Ie the Jan/Feb 72 sessions with JLL had live strings but so did the overdubbing sessions later on with Pig Robbins March 72, so the end product was a dog`s breakfast. The later Bergen White stuff used to get some real stick in the old fanzines

JLL with strings like Pavarotti with pumping piano. Saw a great comment by him " Fats Domino may have sold more records than me but I weigh more than the Rolling Stones!!"

I really like like KRO but prefer the odd Smash/Merc rocker like Lets Talk About Us, Brown Eyed HM ,Working Man Blues and Big Blond Baby sans strings

I've been thinking why I like Hamburg more than Alabama, Hamburg sounds like you`re in the front whilst Alabama seems middle distant (Panther hall sounds like the parking lot), or do I just need new Q tips??

Looking forward to Hip doing the Chuck n Bo box sets

Phil

I prefer Hamburg myself. jerry speeding off his nut, you can feel the sweat. Dosnt miss a beat rockin' all the way. Bear family can we please have the remainder of the Las Vegas and Church tapes!!!!.

I hope Hip Select gets their uk distribution sorted out. Its abt time we have the definitive compilation for Bo and Chuck.

Andrew McRae wrote:

I'll be playing it myself this evening... especially "Memphis" (and "Down the Line"!) :)

BTW... ref the comment "without the dreaded strings dubbed on"... isn't this a (popular) misconception? Weren't most things cut 'live' with the full ensemble, strings and all, in the studio together?
ChrisdeB

Postby flip54 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm

Well we do have the old Charly dodgy Complete Chess Chuck n Bo cd boxes but we definitely need some decent remastered Chess stuff with a thorough trawl for unissued/alts/stereo (Universal did pretty good 2cd sets on both in the last couple of years), I'd love the On Stage Chuck album to be issued without the fake dubbed on crowd noises, something that has irritated me since buying it in the mid 60s

Mrs just gone out so back to the Session 2cd - - -

Phil

[quote="ChrisdeBI hope Hip Select gets their uk distribution sorted out. Its abt time we have the definitive compilation for Bo and Chuck.
flip54

Postby ChrisdeB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:08 pm

[quote="flip54"]Well we do have the old Charly dodgy Complete Chess Chuck n Bo cd boxes but we definitely need some decent remastered Chess stuff with a thorough trawl for unissued/alts/stereo (Universal did pretty good 2cd sets on both in the last couple of years), I'd love the On Stage Chuck album to be issued without the fake dubbed on crowd noises, something that has irritated me since buying it in the mid 60s

Mrs just gone out so back to the Session 2cd - - -

Phil

I have the two doubles and the extra singleChuck one wich is let down by duplication of a couple of tracks... very sloppy! I havnt seen any of the Charley ones for years I wish I had picked them up at the time.

I didnt bother with the reissue of The Sessions as I have them all on other Cds. Also hoping Bear family will finnish the job properly
ChrisdeB

Postby flip54 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Charly went awol in the 90s after losing a shared multi million $ fine prosecution against illegal Euro reissues (with Greenlins and Red Dog I think) of Chess material and their Chess catalogue was dumped onto the record fair dealers quickly, I bought the Chuck,Bo,Wolf boxes and a mate bought the Waters,SB Williams and L Walter at bargain prices :-)) Right place at the right time as Dr John almost sang

This complete sessions 2cd is really somethin else as uncle Eddie would say, better than any of the BF boxes in terms of sound quality/depth

Phil

ps Perkinz, I think its a combination of the rinky dink electric piano ala Ray and the squealing thighs of thunder (Thor-thighs!!)on WhatdIsay that spoils a worthy attempt,I always skipped it half way thru for the manic closing rnr medley, wowwwwwwwwwwww!

ChrisdeB wrote:[
I have the two doubles and the extra singleChuck one wich is let down by duplication of a couple of tracks... very sloppy! I havnt seen any of the Charley ones for years I wish I had picked them up at the time.

I didnt bother with the reissue of The Sessions as I have them all on other Cds. Also hoping Bear family will finnish the job properly
flip54

Postby ChrisdeB » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:07 am

I have the universal/Chess mult cd box sets from a few years back. I figured that covered Chess label. An awesome set
ChrisdeB

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Quote:

I'll be playing it myself this evening... especially "Memphis" (and "Down the Line"!)

Well, I've given "Memphis" from The Session a fair enough hearing, I reckon (three plays on the way into work this morning). I still don't fancy it much. No piano solo or anything that interesting going on; two almost identical guitar solos (one would have done); the only really exceptional thing about it is the messed up ending which obviously gives it extra character and interest; I'd still only give it 6/10..

Andrew :?
Andrew McRae

Previous

Return to Discussions