where can I find a version of.....

where can I find a version of.....

Postby Luin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:23 am

Memphis Tennessee that Jerry Lee Lewis did on cd????

Back in the day my father had a cassette of the killer and on that was a version of Memphis Tennessee that Jerry did and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! One day I was throwing away a brown bag that was supposed to be old fireworks, but was a bag with all of his cassettes in it and the Jerry Lee Lewis tape was gone forever.

My father is getting old and for his birthday I would love to find a copy of this song on cd to give to him.

Any help would be greatly appricated!
Luin

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:52 am

Hi! You can find "Memphis Tennessee" on the Bear Family CD "The Greatest Live Shows On Earth". It's a great live versionc from the Muncipal Auditorium in Birmingham, 1964.
Dirk B.

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:53 am

Andrew McRae

Postby flip54 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:34 am

Or it could be the London Session version, I had that on a German cassette compilation

Phil

Dirk B. wrote:Hi! You can find "Memphis Tennessee" on the Bear Family CD "The Greatest Live Shows On Earth". It's a great live versionc from the Muncipal Auditorium in Birmingham, 1964.
flip54

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 pm

I took my cue from the word A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! in the enquiry. Had it been the version recorded in London I would have expected to read M-U-N-D-A-N-E!!

Andrew :)
Andrew McRae

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:59 pm

To Flip 54: Yes, of course! The version on the "London Sessions" CD is great, too. There's a double CD with "The complete London Sessions" out. Perhaps Andrew can post a link for Luin!
Dirk B.

Postby Luin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Sorry, I should have said it wasnt a live version.

It was a studio version, but had the characteristics of a live song in it. I remember at the end of it he sang: "Memphis...... LONG PAUSE.... Tennessee".

It was like he was having fun in the studio with the song.
Luin

Postby flip54 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Unlike Andrew, I always preferred the London Session version of Memphis to the GLOE version, at the time I was very slightly disappointed with GLSOE as I first bought the wilder Star Club album circa 67 and a few months later got the Alabama show.Very rarely play the BF cd of the two shows these days though I do like the unissued tracks on the BF box probbaly cos Lovin Up A Storm is my all time fav Sun track

Phil

ps my Hip O Select LS is finally on the way from Switzerland!!!

Luin wrote:Thanks for the quick replies!!

Sorry, I should have said it wasnt a live version.

It was a studio version, but had the characteristics of a live song in it. I remember at the end of it he sang: "Memphis...... LONG PAUSE.... Tennessee".

It was like he was having fun in the studio with the song.
flip54

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 am

I always preferred the London Session version of Memphis to the GLOE version, at the time I was very slightly disappointed with GLSOE
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 am

Andrew McRae wrote:
I always preferred the London Session version of Memphis to the GLOE version, at the time I was very slightly disappointed with GLSOE

I'll give "Memphis, London" another spin sometime soon... for whatever reason, it's lodged in my memory as one of the weaker tracks on the Session, a 'throw-a-way' run through which I have come to think might have been better placed along with other 'un-released' tracks on the BF 'complete' twin-set, whereas "Memphis, Alabama" has always been a wonder track for me; great vocal phrasing and a brilliant piano solo, not to mention the evident fervour of the audience...

Although 'The Session' is far from my favourite album, I've always thought 'Memphis' (along with 'Johnny B. Goode' & 'Drinkin' Wine') were the better re-cuts. Far better than the dreadful version of 'What'd I Say'...
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 am

Far better than the dreadful version of 'What'd I Say'...
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:30 am

Andrew McRae wrote:

I'll give "Memphis, London" another spin sometime soon... for whatever reason, it's lodged in my memory as one of the weaker tracks on the Session, a 'throw-a-way' run through which I have come to think might have been better placed along with other 'un-released' tracks on the BF 'complete' twin-set, whereas "Memphis, Alabama" has always been a wonder track for me; great vocal phrasing and a brilliant piano solo, not to mention the evident fervour of the audience...

I can't get my head around the idea of the words 'disappointed' and GLSOE appearing the same sentence! In this I know I'm in a minority (probably of one) and will hereby invite obloquy, but, if pushed, I'd always argue that GLSOE is the 'better' album of the 1964 live sets, offering as it does more varied and 'demanding' material, together with a fascinating 'sub-text' associated with the 'time and place'. Having confessed that, I think comparisons of the two are pointless anyway - despite being recorded barely three months apart, and containing some 'overlap' in choice of songs, they are such 'different' albums, both in concept and performance.

Andrew

We had this discussion, on the merits of the Alabama album and the Star-club one, in my magazine The Bop Cat forty years ago. Most preferred Star-club because of Jerry's wild performance, and the exceptional clarity of the vocal. On the Alabama album Jerry's voice is more in the background, and tends to be almost drowned out by the instruments at times - e.g. in the first track, 'Jenny Jenny'.

But I remember Screamin' Dee Snoble saying something like 'how can you compare that 'bang, crash, clunk' drummer from that British group which desecrates the name of one of my favorite cities with the great Morris Tarp of the Memphis Beats? I think some of you is Nashville Teens fans!'

I certainly feel Star-club has the edge, though I like both albums. As to 'Memphis' on the Alabama album, Jerry clearly doesn't get the words right this time - the catchline that she's only 6 years old (not another child-bride, though some non-fans may have drawn that unfortunate conclusion, but his daughter) is supposed to come near the end of the song. Also I find Hound Dog and MWB weaker than on the Star-club album. Hound Dog on Star-club is just fantastic!
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:37 am

Although I think the Star-Club has the edge performance-wise, the thing which makes it superior IMO is the way it has been recorded & the sound balance / mix. While Morris 'Tarp' Tarrant was undoubtedly a superior drummer to Barry Jenkins of The Nashville Teens (who badly screws up on 'What'd I Say' & gets told by Jerry to "Play that thing right boy!"), it's the latter who comes across better due to the mix.
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Finally the Hip O Select The (complete) London Sessions has arrived for 20 euros from the land of Toblerones( Amazon new n used dealer) and it's certainly as dazzling in sound quality as uncle Andrew rightly raved about, a depth and richness missing in both earlier reissues on cd and on BF's vinyl. Best I've heard since playing my pristine original vinyl copy on my mate's date 70s state of the art Bang N Ouslen hi fi system the day it came out. Headstone is stunning and the slide guitar is brill on all tracks its featured on

I loved it at the time (and still do) especially for the Killerisms and also for the way the Lees and Gallagher worked their lil cotton socks off in the presence of the real "special one" It was also an album I could play to school/college contemporaries into metal/hard rock of the day without the dreaded strings dubbed on. Then if they dug that, out came Hamburg and Return Of Rock, home run into the stands

Decent notes by Colin Escott. shame he couldn't interview Chas Hodges or Albert Lee. Ray Smith lives locally I'll get him to give it a listen and see if he has any stories of the session. Who was the fan who leaned over the piano and got JLL to do Sea Cruise? hope it was Taxi for Terry . Well played that man

One point, I wish JLL had not tried Satisfaction until the Southern Roots session when the local lads coulda hit that great groove that Otis Redding got in his superior version

Down The Line has always been one of the highlights of this album and great to see they've finally got the credits right though the song title is still wrong on the outter sleeve. A few months later Alvin Lee did a great 2lp In Flight with fab versions of Slow Down and Money Honey, if only JLL had done those with him on geetar instead of the run of the mill stuff like Woti'dsay

This will be on repeat play for several days on a nod to Spinal Tap volume 11. Thankfully it arrived just prior to the postal strike ( I blame Barrie Gamblin's offshore pension fund for that ;-))

Happy bunny Phil
flip54

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Finally the Hip O Select The (complete) London Sessions has arrived

I'll be playing it myself this evening... especially "Memphis" (and "Down the Line"!) :)

BTW... ref the comment "without the dreaded strings dubbed on"... isn't this a (popular) misconception? Weren't most things cut 'live' with the full ensemble, strings and all, in the studio together?
Andrew McRae

Next

Return to Discussions