Anyone ever actually been to the Rock & Roll hall of fam

Anyone ever actually been to the Rock & Roll hall of fam

Postby hamd01 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:57 am

Theres a report on BBC about the latest R&R HOF event;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7017522.stm

Within the article it says;

--------------
Once included, the artists are featured in the Museum's Hall of Fame exhibit.

This includes a computerised jukebox containing every song of every inductee and a film on three big screens recounting their careers and music.
--------------

"every song of every inductee" sounds a pretty impressive feat. Has anyone actually been, and seen this in the flesh?

David.
hamd01

Postby rockin532000 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:20 pm

I wasn't there yet but you can bet I will report back in November once I've been there for 5 days.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Re: Anyone ever actually been to the Rock & Roll hall of

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:47 pm

hamd01 wrote:Theres a report on BBC about the latest R&R HOF event;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7017522.stm

Within the article it says;

--------------
Once included, the artists are featured in the Museum's Hall of Fame exhibit.

This includes a computerised jukebox containing every song of every inductee and a film on three big screens recounting their careers and music.

--------------

"every song of every inductee" sounds a pretty impressive feat. Has anyone actually been, and seen this in the flesh?

David.

I think this would be almost impossible, even though computerized jukeboxes are quite remarkable. If it's true, it would be quite a feat in Jerry's case.
Last edited by Tony Papard on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:50 pm

I've mentioned this before, but I don't know where Jerry gets the idea from that he "was inducted 3 months prior to anyone else". There was a ceremony inducting 10 rock & roll (etc) pioneers (including Jerry) on the 23rd January 1986. Maybe he means he got a letter informing him about this 3 months earlier, but surely so did the others?
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Perhaps JLL responded before Elvis n Buddy did??

Grim Flipper :roll:

peterchecksfield wrote:I've mentioned this before, but I don't know where Jerry gets the idea from that he "was inducted 3 months prior to anyone else". There was a ceremony inducting 10 rock & roll (etc) pioneers (including Jerry) on the 23rd January 1986. Maybe he means he got a letter informing him about this 3 months earlier, but surely so did the others?
flip54

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:10 pm

flip54 wrote:Perhaps JLL responded before Elvis n Buddy did??

Grim Flipper :roll:

peterchecksfield wrote:I've mentioned this before, but I don't know where Jerry gets the idea from that he "was inducted 3 months prior to anyone else". There was a ceremony inducting 10 rock & roll (etc) pioneers (including Jerry) on the 23rd January 1986. Maybe he means he got a letter informing him about this 3 months earlier, but surely so did the others?

And it shouldn't be called the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame because, although it includes many of the rock'n'roll pioneers, it also includes many artists who are not rock'n'roll. Perhaps the Rock Hall of Fame would be a better title.

In Europe, rock'n'roll means 1950s style rock'n'roll and possibly rockabilly only. All styles afterwards are other forms of Rock or pop music.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Tony Papard wrote:
And it shouldn't be called the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame because, although it includes many of the rock'n'roll pioneers, it also includes many artists who are not rock'n'roll. Perhaps the Rock Hall of Fame would be a better title.

The same thing has happened with R&B. Nowadays that term is used to describe modern dance music.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
The same thing has happened with R&B. Nowadays that term is used to describe modern dance music.

One of my models a while back said she loved R&B, so I put on a Bo Diddley CD. She was not impressed...
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 pm

I asked Sam Phillips at a Memphis music seminar why he thought Cleveland was to be the home of the upcoming Hall Of Fame as most Europeans thought it should be in the south in either New Orleans or Memphis as in obvious, bleedin`

His succinct reply was

"Money, Honey!"

followed by a lengthy cackle, saying the best thing he could say about Cleveland was that at least it wasn't Liverpool

he then talked at length as to how Europe had more appreciation of rock history than the fast moving Us culture. Most Americans would only ask him about Elvis but we would ask him about Dr Ross, Malcolm Yelvington and Roy Orbison! He mentioned the two English guys Escott and Hawkins as being years ahead of US researchers

Phil

ps I reckon there should be a piano hall of fame as all the guitar guys get far more recognition. Read recently that UK keyboard man Paul Carrack (Ace,Squeeze etc) had visited Merril E Moore on a pilgrimage, nice one, bet Sir Eltwat John never did

Richard Harvey wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

flip54

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Shoulda used Bullmoose Jackson's Big Ten Inch then

Flip-a-ling :shock:

peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:

One of my models a while back said she loved R&B, so I put on a Bo Diddley CD. She was not impressed...
flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:30 pm

And here's the inductees for the next R&R Hall of Fame ceremony (no, I'm serious): Madonna, the Beastie Boys, the Dave Clark Five, Leonard Cohen, Afrika Bambaataa, John Mellencamp, the Ventures, Donna Summer and Chic.

What a shame The Dave Clark Five weren't inducted a year or two ago when the then terminally-ill Dennis Payton was still around to enjoy it.
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm

I would not be surprised if JLL was one of the first to be evicted from the rock n roll hall after all he is 'rockabilly'IAN :?
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:03 pm

bailbath wrote:I would not be surprised if JLL was one of the first to be evicted from the rock n roll hall after all he is 'rockabilly'IAN :?

I wouldn't tell Jerry that if I were you...he HATES his music being called rockabilly (& I don't think it's rockabilly either: as Jerry has said "It's Rock & Roll, boy!").

It's certainly more rockabilly or rock & roll than Donna Summer & Chic though (I remember when disco was thought of as the complete opposite of rock & roll / rock!).
peterchecksfield

Postby flip54 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:06 pm

And DC5`s Mike Smith is still recovering very slowly after that awful fall at his Spanish home awhile back that nearly killed him, more or less paralysed nowadays apparently. He'd forgotten his keys and was clambering over a high side gate when he fall awkwardly onto concrete path. One of my all time fav 60s vocalists, sang and played a mean rocker

Out of that list I've got only DC5 and Ventures in my collection. Still no place for the great Bill Black, he should be in for the Combo let alone the Blue Moon Boys. Let's get a campaign to get Roland and Jimmy Van Eaton into the sidesmen category

Humbug

peterchecksfield wrote:And here's the inductees for the next R&R Hall of Fame ceremony (no, I'm serious): Madonna, the Beastie Boys, the Dave Clark Five, Leonard Cohen, Afrika Bambaataa, John Mellencamp, the Ventures, Donna Summer and Chic.

What a shame The Dave Clark Five weren't inducted a year or two ago when the then terminally-ill Dennis Payton was still around to enjoy it.
flip54

Postby bailbath » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
bailbath wrote:I would not be surprised if JLL was one of the first to be evicted from the rock n roll hall after all he is 'rockabilly'IAN :?

I wouldn't tell Jerry that if I were you...he HATES his music being called rockabilly (& I don't think it's rockabilly either: as Jerry has said "It's Rock & Roll, boy!").

It's certainly more rockabilly or rock & roll than Donna Summer & Chic though (I remember when disco was thought of as the complete opposite of rock & roll / rock!).

I was being ironic :)
bailbath

Site Admin

Next

Return to Discussions