Jerry's Sun recordings

Jerry's Sun recordings

Postby chris morris » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 am

New York music company Primary Wave has purchased Sun records and the deal includes 6000 master recordings as well as rights to name, logo etc. They will therefore have the rights to Jerry's Sun recordings. Let's hope they show some original and informed thinking on the way they handle his catalogue and don't just churn out shoddy greatest hits packages.
Chris
chris morris

Re: Jerry's Sun recordings

Postby PeterC » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:49 pm

I do think that 'The Collected Works' 18 disc set (+ 2 books!) is the last word on JLL's Sun career, no matter who owns the rights.

Chris, what would an "some original and informed thinking" be in your view?
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Peter, I agree that the 18 disc "Collected Works" says it all and will never be surpassed. That collection was for serious fans and collectors. I've always felt there was probably room in the market for catering for lesser fans who might shell out for themed collections ( eg blues, country) that were intelligently presented with good informative notes. The Bear family single CD of Jerry's Sun rockers was an example of how to do things properly. I suppose my comments were promoted by memories of so many shoddy CDs repackaging his best known numbers. As I've got all the Sun boxsets I doubt if I'll be a customer for many new releases anyway. Still, who knows what might just turn up.
Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:08 pm

chris morris wrote: I've always felt there was probably room in the market for catering for lesser fans who might shell out for themed collections ( eg blues, country) that were intelligently presented with good informative notes.

Sadly, Jerry's SUN blues performances would fit on both sides of a 45... :cry:
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:39 pm

I suppose it depends what you mean by blues numbers. But if you include songs written by country artists such as Hank Williams and Jimmie Rodgersthat were basically blues and songs that were originally recorded as blues by people like Leadbelly and Sticks McGhee before Jerry got hold of them, I can think of a stack that Jerry recorded at Sun. Just off the top of my head:
Deep Elem Blues
Tomorrow Night
Goodnight Irene
Drinkin Wine Spo Dee O Dee
Hello, Hello Baby
Long Gone Lonesome Blues
Seasons of My Heart
Hong Kong Blues
Sixty Minute Man
Waiting for A Train
Frankie and Johnnie
....and I could go on. I'm not saying they are all traditional blues but they all have a blues element or connection. Whatever, my main point (wish) is that we don't get yet more CDs with GBoF, Whole lot etc, Breathless and the rest which anyone who wants can buy on a multitude of cheapo CDs. Some different selections might be a revelation to the casual buyer. But anyway, my kids tell me I'm the only person who still buys CDs!
Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:28 am

I really do think it's all been done to death already.

Here's a good "blues" collection:

https://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Lee-Lewis ... e/11510562

The one thing I would like to see is an expanded "Duets" CD, featuring ALL songs with Orion/Jimmy Ellis, though I'm probably in the majority of one there!
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

If someone had copies of the tapes that was re recorded then we may have new recordings. But i doubt very much that someone took copies of them in the 50s.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:52 pm

PirateHook wrote:If someone had copies of the tapes that was re recorded then we may have new recordings. But i doubt very much that someone took copies of them in the 50s.

Eh? I don't understand what you mean.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:24 pm

I meant if someone had taken copies of the tapes with lost songs or alt takes. As many of know they reussed tapes and songs were lost. But i guess it didn't happen. It wasn't easy to copy tapes then. It's get me frustrating thinking about some takes or even worse lost songs was lost because of reusing.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:30 pm

PirateHook wrote:I meant if someone had taken copies of the tapes with lost songs or alt takes. As many of know they reussed tapes and songs were lost. But i guess it didn't happen. It wasn't easy to copy tapes then. It's get me frustrating thinking about some takes or even worse lost songs was lost because of reusing.

I guess anything is possible. When the Charly 12 LP box-set was released in 1983 everyone (including me) thought it was the last word on the subject. Then, in 1987-1988, songs like 'Birthday Cake', 'Don't Drop It' and 'Great Speckled Bird' were found!

Personally, I wish more outtakes from the 1963-1967 Smash era would surface.
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 pm

Although in the past I've been surprised when new Sun recordings surfaced, I find it difficult to believe there's anything left unreleased. The more likely source of unreleased material from the SUN era is recordings from radio programmes. Who knows? About 12 years ago an unknown recording of Elvis singing I Forgot To Remember To Forget in 1955 on the Louisiana Hayride and taped from the radio surfaced when someone not realising its value posted it on YouTube after finding it on an old reel to reel tape. There's even always a chance of pre Sun era material by Jerry surfacing eg from the disputed radio show in about 1950 on WNAT radio station in Nachez. Unlikely but stranger things have happened. Look at the amount of previously unreleased and in some cases unknown material from Hank Williams in the late 1940s and early 1950s that has recently been released. And there was the amazing discovery of the pre Sun Carl Perkins tracks.
The biggest problem if something obscure from Jerry's early days did turn up is whether anyone would consider it commercially viable for a proper release.
Chris
chris morris

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm

I would much prefer new box sets covering the later years. We got so much of the overhyped Sun era now.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Logan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:52 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:I would much prefer new box sets covering the later years. We got so much of the overhyped Sun era now.

Overhyped?
Logan

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Logan wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:I would much prefer new box sets covering the later years. We got so much of the overhyped Sun era now.

Overhyped?

Much as I love most of the SUN recordings, I'm inclined to agree with Wolfie. Jerry recorded and released almost 50 years of further material after he left the company, many of them as brilliant as anything else by anyone!

For what it's worth, my "Golden Decade" for Jerry's music is roughly 1961-1971.
PeterC

Postby chris morris » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 pm

I wonder to what extent our favourite period in Jerry's career is linked to when we started listening to him. I love recordings from throughout his career but my favourite era is his time at SUN. This might be because I started becoming aware of/ listening to Jerry in the early 1960s. As a teenager I bought SUN singles from Dan Coffey and played them relentlessly. I followed the rest of Jerry's career enthusiastically and first saw him live in 1968. My favourite recordings ( from the Sun era) might well be such partly based on nostalgia for when I first discovered them as well as appreciation of their amazing quality.
Chris
chris morris

Next

Return to Discussions