Toronto 1969 Reimagined

Toronto 1969 Reimagined

Postby lucio » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Perhaps this should have been added to the youtube section but with all the time I spent editing it, I thought this great concert deserved a topic of its own.

The first (or one of the first) exposures on film that I ever had to Jerry was with the Keep On Rockin film at the Toronto Peace Festival in 1969.

When the dvd version came out I put my old vhs copy in storage until a couple days ago when I decided to rewatch it for old times sake. To my surprise I not only noticed alternate camera angles but different moments when the camera panned into the crowd. I've now taken all the angles focused on Jerry and created a new edit with the focus on the Killer. 

The second half of the film is a side by side comparison of the 2 versions so that you can see the differences. Sad that Pennebaker re-edited the entire concert but still maintained annoying audience shots
https://youtu.be/oSppiC7dNbE
lucio

Re: Toronto 1969 Reimagined

Postby bailbath » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Brilliant job as usual Lucio. It's a great show piece for Jerry. Also a great show piece for your skills.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby chris morris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks Lucio. It's good to have this as my old VHS copy of the concert disappeared years ago and I've only got the dvd which is inferior in several ways. What struck me on first viewing of your re edit was how much better it sounds. A great effort. Now we just need the missing Gene Vincent footage to turn up....

Chris
chris morris

Postby PeterC » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:10 am

chris morris wrote:Thanks Lucio. It's good to have this as my old VHS copy of the concert disappeared years ago and I've only got the dvd which is inferior in several ways. What struck me on first viewing of your re edit was how much better it sounds. A great effort. Now we just need the missing Gene Vincent footage to turn up....

Chris

The VHS has a much better audio mix than the DVD (LOUDER piano!), so Lucio has used this.

Incidentally, for those complaining about too many Elvis songs: (a) Jerry went to see Elvis in Las Vegas days beforehand, so no doubt had Elvis on his mind, (b) He couldn't do the usual Richard/Berry songs as he shared the bill with them(c) Only 'Don't Be Cruel' and 'Jailhouse Rock' are truly Elvis songs: 'Hound Dog' was by Big Mama Thornton, 'Mystery Train' was by Junior Parker, and Jerry completely rewrote the verses for his version of 'Mean Woman Blues' (something which topped the charts in the UK as the flip-side of 'Great Balls of Fire'!).
PeterC

Return to Discussions